Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per instructions from a friend who knows, I tried to resolve a kitchen plumbing problem myself. Backed up sinks. I drained the backed up pipes (gawd what a mess!) and succeeded in pretty well flooding the kitchen. Well, close enough. Got them reassembled with no leaks, but no drainage either.

I'll have to call in the plumbers as soon as they open this morning. Bye-bye two or three hundred dollars. :( :(

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Don't be too discouraged. This is the first thing you haven't been successful at. Maybe hang with the plumber today and he'll teach you how to fix it next time.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Good for you for trying.

You did more than I would have done. I'd have called the plumber straight away.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Nance, I had to do the same thing the week after Bill started working out of state. :(
Did you try a heavy-duty drain cleaner? Or baking soda and vinegar? Sometimes, a mix of hot water and Dawn detergent will break up a grease clog. I even got a plumber's snake and tried manually reaming out the clog, but it ended up being too far down the pipes.

If none of those work, then call the plumber.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jackie - yep. Tried everything but the snake and that is only because I don't have a snake. After today I may have a little jaunt to Lowe's for one.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Jackie - yep. Tried everything but the snake and that is only because I don't have a snake. After today I may have a little jaunt to Lowe's for one.
Sorry, Nance. :(

I know it's not 'green,' but now I put a dose of Liquid Plumber down my tub drain once every 6 weeks or so, just to keep things cleaned out.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Call around a littel Nance, there are huge differences in what people charge. Also look in the coupon section of your phone book, often there are some coupons for plumbers. I find roto-rooter much cheaper than a regular plumber for this type of stuff

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Call around a littel Nance, there are huge differences in what people charge. Also look in the coupon section of your phone book, often there are some coupons for plumbers. I find roto-rooter much cheaper than a regular plumber for this type of stuff
Thanks, Eric. I did just that. Called the plumbers who did the first roto-rooter job here four years... best price going. We'll see what today brings. Another tip: ask if the vendor charges for fuel (gas in their truck). The guys I'm using today do not, but another vendor I have used does. Guess who I picked?

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Thanks, Eric. I did just that. Called the plumbers who did the first roto-rooter job here four years... best price going. We'll see what today brings. Another tip: ask if the vendor charges for fuel (gas in their truck). The guys I'm using today do not, but another vendor I have used does. Guess who I picked?
Smart thinking, Nance! :D I never would have thought to ask about the fuel charge! Thanks for that tip.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
G'day mate,

If that's the worst thing that's happend during your DIY career, you've got nothing to worry about (Unless your kitchen is carpeted..different story then).
Set the boot (Trunk) of your car alight playing with eletrical wiring as one of my mates did, then you're getting somewhere.

At the end of the day though, sometimes the best way to learn is by watching someone else who's made the same mistake many times before, and ask as many questions as you can think of.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Pottsie

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Don't feel bad. I just had to call a plumber and my husband is a general contractor. I'm impressed that you got the pieces back together with no leaks.

You might also look into a local handyman. They can do all this stuff that's pretty straightforward and usually charge a lot less than an actual plumber. Most areas have somebody pretty reputable and bonded/insured.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts