Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh, he was our typical Angus. Just another hair-raising day at the dog show. I swear, this boy is really going to kill me one day. You will read about it in the papers: "Handler collapses at show. Massive heart attack."

Well, the first strike was, we were the first dog in the ring after Novice B. I overheard the judge say he was going to start our class in 15 minutes. Good! That gives me a frame of reference for when I need to get Angus out.

He was just going to do a quick briefing of Novice A first. And he wanted ALL the Novice A dogs to attend.

His "quick" briefing lasted 13 minutes. :tired: Now I have two minutes to get to my crate, get my dog, warm him up and be in the ring.

Of course I had to bobble a hot dog right before we went in. It just wouldn't be a show with Angus if there wasn't an errant hot dog, would it?

So. We get into the ring. The beautiful attention and focus I'd had only 30 seconds before has now vanished into thin air. Where does it go? How can it leave his body this quickly? He is looking all around, and I don't think he sat on a single halt for heel on lead. No attention on figure eight. Bless his heart, a very nice stand. Then heel off lead. He did sit a time or two for this.

The recall is what I was most worried about. He has been having "issues" where he veers off at the last second. Came into a perfect front today. Went shopping a little on the finish, but ended up in heel.

Then stays.

Now, Angus has been very solid in the past year or so on stays. He actually enjoys them very much. He enjoys them so much, in fact, that he usually brings out Mr. Peepers. Today he must have been enjoying his sit stay very, very much. Mr. Peepers made a very conspicuous guest appearance. I have never even seen Mr. Peepers looking quite as dapper as he did today. Oh my.

So I'm thinking, "Is this going to be a problem when I ask him to down?"

We return, I stroke Angus' head and wait for the down. I give him the down command, and he goes, but a little crooked.

Judge: "Can you straighten the Lab up a bit?"

:scared:

Me: Internal screaming.

I attempt to get him to sit. He rolls over and shows his belly. Uh oh. Shades of Alligator Death Roll. This is not looking good. Then he notices the ring gate, and I'm sure he's thinking, "Hey, this is different. She asked me to get up from the down. I'm finished! Yay!"

He bolts for the ring gate. :scared: :scared: :scared:

Judge: "Get your dog before he leaves the ring."

I'm yelling at Angus to come. No effect. Our training director happened to be the gate steward. She blocked the gate and commanded him to sit, which he did not do, but at least he stopped.

I make it over to grab his collar, and now he's all wiggly and cowed down and kind of freaking out. I do my best to console him: "Angus, hey buddy, it's OK! It's OK! Don't worry about it!" FINALLY we get back to our position, I get him in a down that is satisfactory to the judge, and he completes the stays without further incident.

I really thought we had NQ'd. But no - he qualified and took second place (out of two dogs who completed the stays) with a score of 173.

:crazy:

I swear. One more leg, and Angus' career in obedience is over. I cannot take it!!!!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Connie, that is awesome that he qualified!

Angus, buddy... it is not nice to give momma heart failure like that! ;)

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
If I had a nickle for every time Wes' pickle made an appearance at a show..........

Good gowen, Angus. Fun, hijinks, AND a placement. Does an afternoon get any better?

·
Registered
21,482 Posts
Oh Connie, Angus has always kept you on your toes. So glad to hear he is the same funny boy. I mean you don't want to make this easy do you :laugh: :crazy:

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Oh Connie! If only the judge hadn't asked you to "straighen him up" I bet he would have done perfectly! We don't have trouble with Mr.Peepers (joy of having a girl dog), but when I first started training Skippy, Mr Peepers made frequent appearances, and Skippy NEVER shows him! It was worst when I was trying to make him stand - ever try to hold your hand under a big dogs belly to "keep him up" when Mr. Peepers was around? :laugh:

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
patm said:
Oh Connie! If only the judge hadn't asked you to "straighen him up" I bet he would have done perfectly! We don't have trouble with Mr.Peepers (joy of having a girl dog), but when I first started training Skippy, Mr Peepers made frequent appearances, and Skippy NEVER shows him! It was worst when I was trying to make him stand - ever try to hold your hand under a big dogs belly to "keep him up" when Mr. Peepers was around? :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Oh no! That is bad!

We have it on video, and it even shows up from a whole ring away. :scared: Seriously. That was...something to behold! :laugh:

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Way to go Angus!!! Fun, frivolity AND a ribbon!!! WOOT WOOT!!! :D

I've never seen Henery's Mr.Peepers, but Ollie loves to bring his Mr.Peepers out any chance he can. ;) I fear the first real sit/stay that we'll have to do...

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Congratulations, Connie and Angus!!!

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
:laugh: I wanna know if Turiid Rugaas would qualify "Mr. Peepers" with yawning and lip-licking, as conciliatory gestures/calming signals.

I think there's a research grant in this... any ethologists/behaviourists interested?

Congrats on the q - do judges normally require a "straight" down, or can the dog make himslef comfortable?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kaytris said:
:laugh: I wanna know if Turiid Rugaas would qualify "Mr. Peepers" with yawning and lip-licking, as conciliatory gestures/calming signals.

I think there's a research grant in this... any ethologists/behaviourists interested?

Congrats on the q - do judges normally require a "straight" down, or can the dog make himslef comfortable?
You know what - I know you were kidding, but I wonder if there's anything to that? Seriously? Because Angus was ALL about conciliatory gestures for this whole run. Really, he was a walking illustration for Turiid Rugaas. He did it all. Lip licking, yawning, scratching, grooming imaginary insects from his fur to the point that I had to reach down and pat/rub him to get him to stop. And rolling over and showing his belly instead of sitting when I was trying to move him. What was that about?

? Hmmm!

Most judges do not require a straight down. Some of my friends were like OMG, I can't believe he made you do that! :whistle: Personally, I think asking a Novice A handler to straighten a dog who was just slightly crooked was...picking. But I'm not bitter. No. :laugh:

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! Oh, Connie, you know I had to go searching for this post to get the whole story.

Glad to hear that Angus was Angus AAAAND you got the Q.

Really, you wouldn't want him any other way, now would you? :D

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:laugh: Nathan! OH my gosh. It was a complete nightmare.

I think he was having trouble with the down because of Mr. Peepers. He didn't look like he wanted to do it, but he did it - sideways. I imagine Mr. Peepers was making it very difficult for him. And then when he got up and started trotting out of the ring... :scare: I was frozen in terror!

I really can't believe that judge Q'd us. I wouldn't have.

I think Angus is a lot of fun for the spectators, though. I was talking to a girl I hadn't seen in a while, and she told me how glad she was to see Angus competing in obedience again (he's been in Rally). She said she had been talking to another friend earlier and mentioned that she was glad to see Angus again, and the friend said to her, "Oh I just love that dog!"

Yeah...it's easy to love him when you don't have to go in the ring with him!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Good job Angus! It's not nice to challenge mom's heart so much though... :laugh:

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Congrats to you and Angus, and Connie thanks so much for the best laugh of the day! Angus you silly boy! :laugh: :laugh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts