Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy just called into the radio station I'm listening to, and he's a Girlscout Leader. I wonder how many male Girlscout Leaders there are out there? :gum:

·
Registered
703 Posts
I haven't heard of any but I think it's great for a dad to want to do this for his daughter. I wonder if I'll have the guts to do this for cub scouts with my sons.

Off topic but I nearly went blind last night tallying up the cookie sheets and entering them into the system. I never knew how much work went into that end of the fundraising. And I'm trying not to think of picking up all of those cases of cookies and sorting them out.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's great, too. "Weird" I guess, because I've never heard of that before. The radio host asked if he ever feels awkward, i.e., adult male with young girls. If the mothers looked at him, or treated him differently....

·
Registered
703 Posts
I just called our resource person - in our region (south east WI) there's about 3 - 10 or so male leaders. There is a rule that the co-leader needs to be a non-related female if there's a guy in a leadership position.

·
Registered
703 Posts
jzgrlduff said:
I think it's great, too. "Weird" I guess, because I've heard of that before. The radio host asked if he ever feels awkward, i.e., adult male with young girls. If the mothers looked at him, or treated him differently....
What did he say? Do the adults do anything differently around him?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He said no, because he's only got 6 girls and the mothers all know him and his wife and his daughter.

Meanwhile, another one just called in! He was a "Daisy Dad" about 15 years ago - volunteer - and they threw him out of the troop because he was male.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've known a few female Cub Scout leaders. This is different how?
Really? I've never heard of that, or known anyone to do that. Interesting!

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
BigBrownDog said:
No different, but men are always assumed to be the sexual predator. People forget that females can also be pedophiles, or worse. So, male or female, people in leadership roles over children should all face a certain degree of scrutiny.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
kaisdad said:
BigBrownDog said:
No different, but men are always assumed to be the sexual predator. People forget that females can also be pedophiles, or worse. So, male or female, people in leadership roles over children should all face a certain degree of scrutiny.
You are absolutely right. It is very unfortunate IMO. I have a store on a Womens campus. Historically the store was run by female managers. When the job was open the last time we had a great candidate who was male (and unmarried). The school was VERY reluctant to interview him. He did land the position and has been wonderful there. They love him - but almost did not give him the chance due to this assumption that he would be predatory.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
People forget that females can also be pedophiles, or worse.
Right?! Look at all the female teachers in the news lately, having sex with young students!!

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
kaisdad said:
So, male or female, people in leadership roles over children should all face a certain degree of scrutiny.
Totally agree.

Maybe he stepped forward to be the leader when no moms did. :happy:

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, not single. He said his wife wasn't interested.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
My Dad was a registered Girl Scout leader. My Mom and her friend (another registered leader) ran the troop meetings because he was working, but he went on all the trips and camp outs with us (he slept in the back of our pick up).

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
All of Jakob's boy scout leaders are females so I don't see anything wrong with dad's being girl scout leaders. I think it's good for the Dad's to get involved. :D

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I've helped a couple male Girl Scout leaders with dutch oven cooking.

BTW I don't find that wierd.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts