Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone redone their weeping tile? How much does it cost?

I think i've discovered the problem with my basement flooding.. the 100+ year old trees in my backyard.. the roots have grown clear across the street and i think they've destroyed the old, clay weeping tiles i have..

I'm curious as to how much something like this costs to fix..

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weeping tile prevents ground water from building up under your basement floor and carries excess water away from your foundation wall. North American building codes require that basements built below grade are equipped with perimeter weeping tile.

- wetbasements.com

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, and the weird thing is.. it's actually a tube, not a tile at all.. go figure.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Weeping tile prevents ground water from building up under your basement floor and carries excess water away from your foundation wall. North American building codes require that basements built below grade are equipped with perimeter weeping tile.

- wetbasements.com
Really? I don't think we have anything like that here in NJ. I have a poured concrete foundation and have no water infiltration in an 80+ year old house.

Maybe it is done in cases where the perc test reveals a potential for drainage issues.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Oh, and the weird thing is.. it's actually a tube, not a tile at all.. go figure.

Oh, I know what you are talking about. I have seen them installed on homes with drainage problems. I think that they are called french drains here.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Kelli, no idea but my heart is afraid for you that it's a lot.

Could it just be that the snow is melting faster then the ground can thaw and it has no where else to go? We had a bit of that kind of leakage/seepage this spring.

Is it as bad as last time?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that was the excuse last year, Kar.. but honestly.. this is Northern Ontario.. that shouldn't be an excuse.

And we didn't have the March rain we had last year.. when the ground was frozen solid.. so i don't think this year is as bad.. i shouldn't have that kind of water in the basement again.

I'm guessing it's close to $10,000 to have it done, unless i can find a backhoe and someone who knows how to use it that'll do it for beer.

Buying the material and installing it should be a simply DIY task if i can find a video on how to do it..

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Got any backhoe connections from the City?

I forgot that's what they said it was last year - out of curiosity, do any of your neighbours experience the same thing?

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
It does sound like what we call a French drain. I have no idea how much it would cost where you are, but in Northern Ca. the price varies widely depending on soil, rock, size, etc. You probably could do it yourself with a guy and a backhoe, but I'd probably hire a surveyor if there is the slightest question about grading. (Disclaimer: My dad was a civil engineer so I'm programmed to answer any such question with "hire a surveyor.")

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah.. both immediate neighbours.. the funny thing is the neighbour whose house is right beside my drivway has their leak on that side.. mine's also on my driveway's side.. which is why we think it's that **** tree.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We had a lot of seepage in our basement - the floor would be damp and we ruined a lot of stuff that had been sitting on the floor. Our house is old - 1920's and we knew we needed weeping tile. There was none on the outside.

No way we could get it around the house (our lot is 25 ft wide and we could touch our neighbour's house from our house), so we repoured our basement floor and installed weeping tile and tied it to the sump. Cost us around 5-6K to bust out the whole floor, install the weeping tile and repour the floor. That's for 600 sq.ft. of basement. I'm not sure if this helps or not, but it is an option.

however, at first, I thought you were going to talk about the band Weeping Tile...

tanya

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Kelli, to do it right will not be cheap. You need to dig down to the footings all around the house and lay new perimeter drains. These then need to tie to the city storm system. The cost will be in excavating. Also, if you do this, I recommend that the foundation walls be coated with a waterproof membrane and drainage fabric before backfilling. If you do this along with a new perimeter drain, I doubt you'll see moisture ingress in your lifetime. It is a good investment if you want your basement to be a livable space.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
who says you never learn anything in O&E. i had no idea what weeping tile was...or even a french drain.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts