Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Argggggh!! I am just disgusted. I have lost no weight this week. In fact...it looks like I put on a pound. :mad: I have been sticking with my diet and I did full workouts 4 times this week! I actually felt really good about myself until I got on scale.

Cardio: 4 session on the treadmill (plus 2 dogs walks since it got warmer)
Weight training: 4 sessions (I'm only doing arms right now)
Abs: 4 session and I've upped the reps - I'm doing 2 sets of 20 of regular situps, right lats, left lats, lower ab raises and then full crunches

I'm going to have to go with the fact that I must be putting on muscle faster than I'm losing the weight. It is just so frustrating to see the numbers go up on the scale. I'm still using the Daily Plate which is keeping me honest. And I'm hungry. All I want is a piece of chocolate cake with chocolate mousse filling and chocolate ganache icing!!!! :whistle:

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
What kind of diet are you following? I'm starting my third week of South Beach and have lost 12 1/2 pounds. I am not hungry, in fact I'm eating more food all day long. It's just healthy stuff. They have some awesome dessert recipes. We hardly ever ate dessert, but now almost every night. Makes me feel like I'm cheating. I also do weight training and know that muscle weighs more, but I am still losing. I feel great on this diet, and I don't like the word diet, it's a lifestyle. My husband who I've talked about on here before has lost almost 30 pounds. We're ecstatic! :D

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not following any specific diet. I am trying to eat regular food in smaller portions. And supplementing with fruit and or veggies when I'm snacky. I have been eating Kashi prepared dinners which are organic and around 300 cals so I don't over eat at dinner which is usually my big meal. And I've been getting a lot of these Amy's organic veggie pockets and indian burritos for lunch. And I've eliminated all sweets and desserts, though I have a tin of sugar free hard candy here at the office to stave off snack attacks. Hubby and I also are not going out for dinner which usually is a huge calorie binge for us and we've cut back from wine nightly and our weekly wine tastings to wine once a week and a wine tasting every other week. (this is the real sacrifice)

So I'm really just trying to control my portions and calorie intake without eliminating any food groups or having to worry about a special diet. I think I really just need to jump start my metabolism and get my body to adjust to exercising again.

It is just so aggravating!

I don't know anything about South Beach. Congratulations on your weightl loss! That is amazing!!How does that work?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Lo carb.

Eat 'til full. Yes. 'TIL FULL!

Your veggies, funny enough, may be doing you in. Lots of carbs in carrots (sweet) and corn (sweet) and, of course, potatoes.

The SB book in paperback cost me a whopping $12, I think. Best investment I ever made in my entire life, other than an engagement ring for Eileen.......

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I only want to say one other thing, please don't take it as a criticism. Those frozen dinner things are bad for you. Processed food in general is not good for you. And fruit has a ton of sugar. I'm just starting to add fruit back in everyday for fiber, but it says to eat it in the afternoon, with protein, so you don't get a sugar rush. You can check out SB on-line without buying anything, but I liked the recipes so much I bought two more cookbooks. Here's a website you can check out if you want.

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=iv-fbsouthbeach&msg=21690.1&ctx=0

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Retriever Mama said:
Thanks! I'll check it out when I'm slower at work. :D
Missy . I have no idea what south beach is but if you aren't losing weight and it's the 5th week then maybe you need to start keeping a diary and adding up your intake of calories versus the amount of calories you are burning? You will only lose weight if you are in deficit. Maybe buy yourself a small diary and there is a good website http://www.calorieking.com/ that I have used in the past. It does mean that you have to write down and add up everything that you eat. But it's worth it. The website also gives you an idea of how long it takes to work off those bad foods.

For example: 1 piece of Chocolate Cake with Frosting (2.3oz) = 65mins Walking or 27mins Jogging or 20mins Swimming or 36mins Cycling
And 1 cup Chocolate Mousse (7.1oz) = 126mins walking or 52 mins jogging or 38mins swimming or 69mins cycling

and that's just to burn off that treat. Add them together if you combined them and that is alot of exercise IMO!!! I found just reading that information helps me not eat that bad treat as I know I'm not going to do that much exercise just to work off some chocolate. Or you could have the Chocolate Cake with Frosting and walk the dogs for an hour to work it off. If you REALLY want it that is.

Did you start measuring as well as weighing in? Measure your obvious points like: bust, hips, bottom, thights, calves, biceps etc and record that every week .... you may not always see a drop in the scales but you should see a drop in measurements. (Especially if you are putting on muscle .... you should see some toning happening in some of those areas. The measuring tape should capture that.)

As for my check in LOL!! I have been very very slack with exercise and am still at the same weight I was at my last check in :( But I have already been to the gym twice this week and it's only wednesday here so I hope I'm on the road to improvement.

Cheers
Sarah

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been using The Daily Plate which counts calories for you and keeps record of what you eat and can also keep track of exercise calories burned. I've been right on target for the calories and have been faithful about entering my data. I think this weekend when I go food shopping I'm going to switch up the foods I've been getting and see if less carbs/more protein helps.

In the meantime....the struggle continues...

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Missy I'm concerned that you are going hungry.

Do you know how much protein you are consuming a day? From memory, I think women our age should be having at least 46grams of protein per day. I am not sure how that converts to imperial. If you are not having enough protein your body will be taking protein from your muscle mass which then in turn leads to reduced muscle rather than you creating it.

Especially if you are doing weight and resistance training which it appears you are with all your situps etc... the protein will aid your muscle growth and the more muscle tone you have the more fat you burn. I'm not saying eat high protein but just wanted to be sure you were eating enough.

Do you know how many nutrients you are consuming based on your Daily Plate? Does it tell you that information? Is the Daily Plate free to use?

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sarah said:
Missy I'm concerned that you are going hungry.

Do you know how much protein you are consuming a day? From memory, I think women our age should be having at least 46grams of protein per day. I am not sure how that converts to imperial. If you are not having enough protein your body will be taking protein from your muscle mass which then in turn leads to reduced muscle rather than you creating it.

Especially if you are doing weight and resistance training which it appears you are with all your situps etc... the protein will aid your muscle growth and the more muscle tone you have the more fat you burn. I'm not saying eat high protein but just wanted to be sure you were eating enough.

Do you know how many nutrients you are consuming based on your Daily Plate? Does it tell you that information? Is the Daily Plate free to use?
Daily plate is free and does keep track of all that. I am definitely not getting enough protein. Haven't really been paying attention to that - more focused on staying within my calories. I'm going to have to rethink my diet and see what I can do to substitute in more protein.

I'm also wondering if I should change the way I eat. Not just diet, but how I consume my calories. I'm more of a grazer...I eat several small things throughout the day every few hours. I wonder if I should eat 3 normal size meals and then maybe I won't be so hungry all the time?

Why is this so hard?!

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
6 small meals a day is ideal. That plus a good dose of cardio plus weight exercise everyday is the fastest way to increase your metabolism. I lost 22kgs this way.... and i've kept it off for 5 years. Well... i've put on 4kgs since being with Dave and when I met him I had only 4kgs to go to reach my goal weight. So now I have 8 to go... this last 8kgs are proving to be a big challenge :(

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
also in regards to protein, things like a tin of tuna with your salad are a great way to add more in! Or a handful of the right nuts..... or some legumes. You also get protein from meat and fish. It's not hard to eat more. Try and make sure you at least definitely eat the right amounts of protein on your weight training days (weights include things like situps and pushups but if you are doing hand weights this is the weights I am talking about) because it aids in muscle rebuild and repair.

Another thing I was taught by my personal trainer - when you do weight and resistance the muscles you exercise continue to burn calories for 24 hours after u have stopped exercising. When you stop doing cardio you stop burning calories. So it's really important to do those situps and pushups and hand weights etc..

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
sarah said:
Another thing I was taught by my personal trainer - when you do weight and resistance the muscles you exercise continue to burn calories for 24 hours after u have stopped exercising. When you stop doing cardio you stop burning calories. So it's really important to do those situps and pushups and hand weights etc..
This confuses me.

So, when I run, exercising my lower half, that benefit stops when I stop running?
But when I do weight training and other toning, that benefit continues?

How does my metabolism distinguish one kind of exercise from the other? Since both running and situps use musculature, I'm not getting how the benefit changes over time.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
dweck said:
sarah said:
This confuses me.

So, when I run, exercising my lower half, that benefit stops when I stop running?
But when I do weight training and other toning, that benefit continues?

How does my metabolism distinguish one kind of exercise from the other? Since both running and situps use musculature, I'm not getting how the benefit changes over time.

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/secretweightlos_3.htm

google "excerise after burn" if you want more info about it.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
6 small meals comes from body builders who need to eat 5000-6000 calories a day. you can not get 5000 calories in a day with 3 meals and a snack. its not for people who are eating 1200, 1400, and 1600 calories a day. psychologically speaking if you were to break your foods up into 6 small meals and you are eating 1200 calories you will be eating a piece of driftwood for every meal. all studies show when you eat the same calorie allowance with 6 small meals versus 3 meals you lose the exact same amount of weight. all the research has been suggesting that 6 small meals will lead to insulin resistance and diabetes because you have constant insulin in your blood because you are eating throughout the day.
that above is from jillian michaels.

also according to jillian and bob (the biggest loser) you are not supposed to work the same muscle 2 days in a row. they need time to heal.
hope that helps some of you.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
eklind51 said:
6 small meals comes from body builders who need to eat 5000-6000 calories a day. you can not get 5000 calories in a day with 3 meals and a snack. its not for people who are eating 1200, 1400, and 1600 calories a day. psychologically speaking if you were to break your foods up into 6 small meals and you are eating 1200 calories you will be eating a piece of driftwood for every meal. all studies show when you eat the same calorie allowance with 6 small meals versus 3 meals you lose the exact same amount of weight. all the research has been suggesting that 6 small meals will lead to insulin resistance and diabetes because you have constant insulin in your blood because you are eating throughout the day.
that above is from jillian michaels.

also according to jillian and bob (the biggest loser) you are not supposed to work the same muscle 2 days in a row. they need time to heal.
Here we call it "rice cake"...but driftwood must be the street name for it. ;)

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
eklind51 said:
I agree with this. My personal training plan never has me work the same muscles within 3 days of each other.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts