Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband's cousin is getting married in June and so I am preparing for some of the showers I will attend for the event. I went on their registry at a local department store and could not believe the cost of most of the items on there ... a $209 GRAVY BOAT!!

I am not cheap and I do think I have style and taste but jeeze - IT HOLDS GRAVY NOT ANCIENT REMAINS!!!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
IT HOLDS GRAVY NOT ANCIENT REMAINS!!!
LOL!! ;D

That is absolutely absurd.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I hope all her stuff isn't in the 200 range....WOW!

My registry items range from 8 dollars to about 200 dollars.. but most under 50....

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Geez! That wouldn't even leave the closet if it were mine (I break things)! Are they entertaining royalty at any time?

I used to work in a department store and the things couples used to pick out were very interesting!

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
tuckersmom said:
I am not cheap and I do think I have style and taste but jeeze - IT HOLDS GRAVY NOT ANCIENT REMAINS!!!
LOL! I hope you purchase something quick before all of the less expensive items are gone. That is ridiculous. I think some people have no concept of budgets of the people actually buying the gift. It's pretty rude and presumptuous actually.

·
Registered
578 Posts
She may not expect to get it, but put it on there just because she liked it and figured-What the heck. When I did my registry the prices of my selections varied greatly. The thing about registries, and the reason why you tend to see expensive things on there, is because that is the only time in a person's life that they can put something like that on a wish list. I didn't expect to get everything on my registry, but I put EVERYTHING I wanted on there just in case somebody wanted to get it. Those expensive things are good for group gifts too (admittedly-I'd be ticked knowing I pitched in for a gift that turned out to be a gravy boat-LOL). I loved that all of my co-workers at the time pitched in and got me the vaccuum I wanted.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Geez! That wouldn't even leave the closet if it were mine (I break things)! Are they entertaining royalty at any time?
LOL! This is me exactly, I break plates/glasses/dishes all of the time. They had better not invite me over for dinner with the dishes they've registered for: 12 place settings at $164.50 each .... 7 are gone. :eek:

I generally like to give a basket of a few gifts but I have come to the realization that for this wedding - this will not be possible.

·
Registered
578 Posts
How is the price of the towels she wants? I like to get a laundry basket and fill it with the washcloths, hand towels, bath towels, etc. Maybe throw in some candles and/or an inexpensive bottle of wine and wrap it up all pretty.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
tuckersmom said:
My husband's cousin is getting married in June and so I am preparing for some of the showers I will attend for the event. I went on their registry at a local department store and could not believe the cost of most of the items on there ... a $209 GRAVY BOAT!!

They'd be getting cash from me. A 50 in a card thankyouverymuch.

G

·
blacklabelias said:
In all honesty, I think all registries are presumptuous. I do not buy from them.
Nah, some are pretty reasonable. My neice (to be) had everything from a 12pk coke dispenser for the fridge -- ceramic trivets for decoration ($10) each -- and her dream of a Dyson vacuum. But most items on her lists (Target, Kohls and Bed Bath&Beyond) were very reasonable items.

Good luck with your shopping

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I bought a used canoe for 50 bucks once. It could hold a sh*tload of gravy!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What does a $209 gravy boat look like?
Like this: (It is Vera Wang, Grosgrain collection)

I actually do like registries, don't get me wrong. Sometimes we get invited to weddings where the couple has electic tastes and a registry offers great direction. I am just surprised at some of things on this particular one.

How is the price of the towels she wants? I like to get a laundry basket and fill it with the washcloths, hand towels, bath towels, etc. Maybe throw in some candles and/or an inexpensive bottle of wine and wrap it up all pretty.
This is a great idea! I think the towels are about $80 each though so there would be a lot of 'filler' ;D

I bought a used canoe for 50 bucks once. It could hold a sh*tload of gravy!
LMAO!!!

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
That's nuts.
Someone at Walmart actually commented to my aunt how level headed we must be after helping her find soemthing from our registry...lol Because most of the stuff we registered for was everyday stuff we needed. We already had a house and furnishings so I just wanted basic stuff and some new things since we had a lot of hand me downs. I kept it reasonable though. I had a few bigger things because I know a lot of times my family will pitch in and get a bigger item from several people.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
What pattern did they choose - Princess Grandiose FullaBull? Geeze, I hate to think what a place setting costs!

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Hell, I've been married 8yrs and just got a gravy boat at Christmas from my friend. LMAO.

But it does look like a beautiful gravy boat. Maybe they eat a lot of gravy? ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts