Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, how dorky am I? I'm home from work today and by myself, so I decided to play a little with the timer on my digital camera. Since I picked up my dress from the tailor yesterday, I decided to try some shots of myself wearing it.

Anyway, some background: our wedding is July 7, late afternoon, at an art gallery with an enclosed outside garden/patio, and my fiance wants to wear linen trousers and a Tommy Bahama silk shirt - so it's pretty summer casual. So I wanted something that wasn't specifically a "wedding dress" but looks reasonably bridal if you know what I mean, and I definitely didn't want full length and all white. This is a warm ivory, with almost taupe embroidery on the lace mesh overlay. I had a silk duponi sash made (and a wrap but I didn't take pictures of that) that is nearly the exact shade as the embroidery. So I'm all set, but need to decide about jewelry. As you can see, I have short hair and don't intend to do anything as far as hair accessories. My engagement ring is a square asscher cut solitaire Tiffany set in platinum, and I also always wear my mother's rings on my right hand, which are sapphires and diamonds in white gold and platinum (I figure they can double as my "something blue").

So -- the dress, plain:

The dress, with pearls:

Close-up, plain pearl studs, no necklace:

Close-up, plain pearl studs, single strand of white pearls:

Close-up, grey pearl drop earrings, double strand of grey pearls (they were my mother's):

Close-up, diamond drop earrings and diamond necklace (Christmas gift from Mark):

Detail of bodice and sash:

Shoes (they're less gold and more beige/taupe than in these pictures):

So what do you think?
Plain?
Pearls, and if so, which, white or grey (the grey are almost the same color as the sash and embroidery, not true grey, more of a taupe-pinkish-grey)?
Diamonds?

Does something need to change? I do intend to have a small bouquet, but won't even think about flowers until Mark gets back and we go shopping for his outfit. Sorry this is so long, but I do recall that there were a few requests for dress pictures...

Thanks.

Ursula

·
Registered
529 Posts
ok your about to hear my metro side come out

i like the white pearls
plan is almost too plain a lot open skin that is kinda blah(no offense)
gry pearls almost distract from your face and the dress.

white pearls accentuat your face and dress and dont distract you from anything.

you are going to be a very bride and i wish you lotsa luck and happiness in your marriage

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Single strand of white pearls. The double strand of grey pearls looks to heavy and detracts from your face and that beautiful dress.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
You look beautiful! The dress is gorgeous!

I like subtle and understated so I'd go with the diamond necklace but didn't you say you had a wrap? I think the pearls would look nice with the wrap and I love the fact that the grey pearls were your mother's. I'm no help at all, am I?

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
You are SO lovely and so is your dress.

I would leave your neckline bare... your shoulders are gorgeous... emphasize the earrings... a tad larger gray pearl and let that beautiful smile of yours carry it all.

The rest is absolute perfection.

:)

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I like the diamond combo. The necklace really accentuates your neck and makes it look very long and graceful. I love grey pearls but they seem a little heavy for the dress. Do the white pearls go alright with the dress? Sometimes a white pearl can look too white against a warm ivory.

Really beautiful dress.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Ohhh, I don't know, but you look beautiful Ursula!!! It sounds like a beautiful wedding ceremony!!!

I wore a single strand of pearls w/ studs for my wedding. For brides I actually prefer pearls to diamonds, I'm not sure why though. The double strand of grey pearls are definitely more unique then the single strand of white. Lends some glamour to your elegance. And since they match the dress, I would be inclined to go with them, especially as they were your mothers.

But really, I don't see how any of the choices would be wrong!!

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the opinions so far. I realized that I should maybe have said a little more. My mother died of cancer almost two years ago, we were really, really close (I'm an only child). She ADORED those grey pearls, but even though she was even shorter than I am (5'3.5"), she loved long necklaces. I don't. That's why I double that strand, I've thought about having two separate strands made from it, or a single strand necklace and double-strand bracelet instead. So that could still happen, there's enough time. The single-strand of white pearls were given to me by my paternal grandmother 20 years ago when I got my first professional ballet job and was about to graduate from high school. :eek: Yep, I'll be 38 this summer. Ugh. Anyway, she and I were NOT close, so even though they are a beautiful color (a rich ivory not pure white), I don't have a lot of emotional attachment to them and don't actually wear them that often. The diamond necklace that Mark gave me is probably my favorite piece of jewelry (other than my engagement ring), I wear it frequently. I love clear stones and simple settings.

Again, no help here, I just don't have the perspective (and I felt incredibly goofy posing for the camera by myself). And not only is Mark still out of the country, I kind of want to surprise him and not have him see the ensemble until the day of - I'm not a traditionalist in general, but I think that's a good one.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
The single strand of white is nice. but with your short hair, I would wear some dangly drop earrings (pearl?) and leave the neck bare (?) You look absolutely beautiful! ;D

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
You're sooo pretty!! I love your dress! :D

I love the fact that the gray pearls were your Mom's... but I agree that the double strands are too "heavy" looking, especially for a casual summer wedding. You will be wearing your Mom's rings though, right?

The white pearls are beautiful, but still a bit traditional to me, considering what your fiance will be wearing. (Incidentally, the same as what my brother wore when he got married!! Yeah!!)

I say go with your fiance's diamond necklace and diamond drop earrings. You'll still have a part of Mom with you in the rings!

Can't wait to see your wedding pics!! :D

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Ursula! You look amazing!

This is a tough one for me.. i think it's a toss up between the diamonds and nothing at all. That being said.. if you'd prefer the pearls for sentimental value, they look really nice too. None of them look bad, so you're kind of lucky there.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Your dress is beautiful, and you look so lovely :)

I like the pearl studs, and single strand white pearl necklace the best

2nd choice is the diamonds (but the pearls are still my fav)

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I say the single strand of white pearls.

Unlike a few of the girls I work with at my jewelry store, I feel that sometimes you can have too much jewelry. I LOVE pearls for a bride. IMO, the diamond necklace is more of an everyday type pendant.

Your dress, BTW, is absolutely stunning. You will be a BEAUTIFUL bride.

·
Registered
529 Posts
holy cow is your name actually ursula

sweet that is a first i think never heard anyone to have that name atleast not in this contry

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
creatism said:
holy cow is your name actually ursula

sweet that is a first i think never heard anyone to have that name atleast not in this contry
LOL! Really. Yes, my given name is Ursula. There aren't many of us. My parents loved DH Lawrence's novel "Women in Love", hence the name - I'm glad they liked that one of the two sisters, otherwise I'd have been Gudrun (no offence to anyone with that name but it is a bit more difficult even than mine). Unfortunately, or fortunately, perhaps, I was not named for Ursula Andress, the actress in Dr. No.

I also happen to be half Ukranian (on my mother's side), but it isn't a family name.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts