Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was in school I had to make a website for my english class (i know, weird). Anyway, I used macromedia dreamweaver and it was a fun, easy to use software. The university had this on all their computers. I was wondering. Anyone know if (and where and for how much) I can purchase this software? I have a dell computer, so would it work on a dell computer? If not, anyone know of good software for building websites? What I liked about this software was that I didn't have to use codes. There were different website templates and it was really easy to use. Can someone help me out? TIA.

EDITED TO ADD- I have written a long, comprehensive article on natural diets for ferrets and I want to make my own website to host the information, so its really important to me to find a website software that's easy to use, fun, and relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear lord! :eek: That stuff aint cheap!!! Oh well, its a VERY useful software...ugh. Better start saving up.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wonder why only students, faculty, and schools can purchase this software, but not the general public. anyone know?

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Apollopuppy said:
I wonder why only students, faculty, and schools can purchase this software, but not the general public. anyone know?
Anyone can buy Dreamweaver. However, there are two versions of just about every software application - a commercial version, and an academic version.

Academic versions are operationally the exact same software - but offered at a much cheaper price. The catch is, you have to be a student, teacher or an accredited institution to buy it, and the license that comes with the software entitles you to use it for non-commercial purposes. That being said, the license is an honor-system kind of thing - you could technically use it for whatever you want, however you can't legally use it for commercial purposes (to make money with).

So - the Dreamweaver at Best Buy, anyone can buy - it's a retail version. The Dreamweaver at JourneyEd is an academic version.

- John
- Director of Information Systems
- JourneyEd.com
(Charla's husband)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the explaination, John. I appreciate you taking the time to write out such a detailed response!

Quick question. If I make a website with this software, I don't have to pay a montly fee for the site to be online and viewable to the public, do I?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Apollopuppy said:
Quick question. If I make a website with this software, I don't have to pay a montly fee for the site to be online and viewable to the public, do I?
That depends - if you already have a place to put it (for example, on your work's Web server, or on your school's Web server), then, no, you won't have to pay. Also, there are free Web hosters out there, but they're covered with advertisements.

If neither of these options are satisfactory, you will need to pay a monthly fee for hosting. You can get a good, cheap plan costing about $5/month. One company I recommend is http://www.webhost4life.com. I had an account with them for years, but finally gave it up when I moved to a dedicated server.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts