Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
of Angus' paw.

They really did take the dew claw nail all the way back. :(

He has been hopping on three legs all of today. I didn't know if it was the bulky bandage, or it was hurting him that bad. I decided to take off the bandage and find out (they said it could come off today anyway).

I think it was hurting, because he is still hopping.

But mostly what he is doing right now is licking, licking licking. The vet said he would do this. But it's non-stop. :(

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
its a horrible injury...must hurt like crazy for him.

I'd keep it wrapped and not let him lick too much. Quick healing pal, or you make mom worry!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Poor Angus, that has to hurt. It's hard to stop Jazzy when she gets in that licking mode. Gentle pets from us to Angus.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Aww, sending good thoughts for Angus.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, we had to put the cone back on him...hence the abrupt ending to my last post. He was bleeding a little bit, from somewhere. ? I looked at the end of the nail after we pried his tongue off it, and it looks to be really well-cauterized.

This is just awful. Poor Angus. I had no idea when I took him in it was going to result in surgery, and then I had no idea the surgery would be this painful. :( Angus is so stoic. That it bothers him this much must mean it really hurts.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Poor guy, I know when my JRT ripped his off the 2nd time, my vet told me its one of the worst injuries he sees. Its akin to ripping off a thumb and waiting for it to grow back :(

It took months for his nail to be back to normal, and then he did it again, I opted to have his dew removed completely at the time he was neutered.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all! He seems to be doing a lot better this morning. He's walking on all four legs!! Hallelujah! It is SO heartbreaking to see him hopping around holding up a leg. Something about it brings back all those Lassie episodes.

He would for sure chew off a bandage without a cone. He's back in the cone this morning, but the cone depresses him so much. :( He's so down-looking. I think I will call the vet this morning and ask if it's OK if he licks...a lot...and forego the cone if I can. The vet did say he would lick and not to worry about it. We just freaked when we saw a little blood. But the site really does look totally sealed. I think.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They did give him some Tramadol, which he's taking twice a day. I can't tell if it's making him a little dopey, or if he's just bummed out and in pain, but he's definitely not at 100%. :(

I wish they could just talk.

He has been promoted out of the cone for good behavior. He's had it off for a couple of hours now, and no licking so far.

He was supposed to show next weekend, but at this rate, I dunno...I may be making a donation in his name to the sponsoring club. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Good thoughts -- and extra treats?? -- for AngusMan.

And I'll bet Simon misses his full-steam-ahead pal, too!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.