Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brandi starts her obedience training for 8 weeks, then her agility training for 8 weeks.

SHould I be training her WITH ALL family members present? Or should I (or my wife) be the only one there, then share my / her experiences with other family members?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I think it would be OK either way. If it were me I would just go with the wife that way I could really concentrate on the trainer rather than splitting my time watching the trainer, my dogs, and my kids. The reason I say this is if your trainer is good he is communicating with your dog with his body language as much or more than with his words. For example when we took Oona to obedience the trainer took her and had her sit next to him. He talked to us for the first 15 minutes and wouldn't make eye contact with her. When he finally did acknowledge her I thought she was going to melt! By doing this he was using language she understood, that she was subordinate. After this she was so eager to do whatever he wanted she would get the lesson in the first five minutes.
Olie

·
Registered
703 Posts
the more distractions the better and harder, but you may want to establish a base first and then after a few lessons bring the world along.

G

·
I agree - get comfortable the 2 of you first. Scout was a nut for the first set of classes, and I had 2 left feet. It felt like we were making no progress. We've been training for a while now and it's a good test of her concentration and our communication when new people drop in.

Enjoy the classes.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I kinda think that one on one might be better. And the one should be whoever has more patience. Since your wife is home with the pup more often she might be the more logical one to go to class as it will give her a chance for one on one bonding with the pup and help her with any issues. Check with the instructor on their recomendation and don't be surprised if because of insurance reasons they won't let you bring the kids. Your wife might also enjoy a break from the kids for a bit during the week too. :)

Kelly and Amber

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
How old are the kids? Are they good about sharing and sitting quietly?

The school I worked at was happy to have the family coming to class, BUT some kids aren't good about taking turns or following instructions - which can be confusing to puppy and if the kids get disruptive and restless, its hard on everyone there.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
My trainer encouraged age appropriate family members to attend training as quiet observers. Children were not allowed to approach other dogs, etc. Only one handler was allowed to work with the dog during each class.
Brandi is so beautiful! Good luck in class!

G

·
I think everyone being at the class (if its okay with the trainer) is a great thing! But I think that you and your wife need to be the ones IN the class. In Dakotas last class there was a boy in our class with a full grown dark yellow lab named Buddy. Buddy could and would over power this kid. we spent most of our time trying to get the boy and dog together and up to where the rest of us were. I dont think we got much out of the class at all. I really felt that the trainer should have stepped in and made an adult take over.. Not trying to knock my trainer because she is VERY good at what she teaches but I think this is one situation she sould have stepped in!
So I vote for the kids to come along and watch if they can sit still...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brandi "respects" me more than any other family member. If I give her a command, she listens. OTOH, my wife doesn't have the control that I have, nor does my 13 year old.
Ideally, I would like to have my wife go through the paces, and I guess I could learn from watching her.

Brandi "Break-Dances" ...seriously, she really does. ::)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts