Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH just had our old 1991 Honda Accord safety inspected and had a bunch of work done on it at his friend's garage, in anticipation of us selling it when we buy a minivan. His friend was later talking to another customer, who's son wanted to buy an older car... so the friend told them about the Accord... Later that afternoon - SOLD! YAY! We got a great price on it, which is great since we just had all of that work done... And its such a relief not to have to go through the hassle of putting it for sale, the newspaper, taking calls, etc...

So now we really need to get cracking on finding a minivan. I had posted a while ago about the crossover Kia Rondo... DH is NOT a fan, so its a no-go. Comparing prices on different minivans, SUV's and crossover vehicles we are pretty sure that the Dodge Caravan is our best bet for our price range and our needs. A lower mileage 2005 or 2006. We had considered the Grand Caravan as well, but there is quite a price difference for the convenience of the stow-n-go seating ($4-6K) and extra 11 inches, although I am sure it would be nice to have when you wanted to transport bigger items (rather then hauling the seat out).

We cruised the used lots and dealerships on Saturday, but most minivans on lease buy-backs were company vehicles so they have REALLY high kms, so no warranty left. I hope we find what we are looking for soon!

I've resigned myself to the minivan. But I like to tease DH that it needs to be RED, and have the bug deflector on the front, because I want a MILF minivan. :p

In the meantime, since my Mom is visiting my sister in Whitehorse, we have her big-a$$ Buick! ha!

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
there's a reason the caravan seems to be every second car on the road.. they're the most practical of the practical minivan.

A good choice for the mom-bus =)

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Have fun car hunting! We are also torn because when our daughter comes home, we will need something that can haul around:
- a toddler
- two dogs who are accustomed to riding in the back of a Honda CRV
- one dog who wears a seatbelt

I am dilemmafied, because I just don't see myself in a minivan!

Congrats on the quick sell at a good price!

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
We have the Chrysler version(Town and Country) of the Dodge Caravan. We have owned several minivans and this one is by far my favorite. I actually prefer driving it over the Chrysler Sebring car we have.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
We have a Ford Explorer with the 3rd seat. I love it! Enough room for the dogs and people.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
kelli said:
there's a reason the caravan seems to be every second car on the road.. they're the most practical of the practical minivan.

A good choice for the mom-bus =)
Yeah, it will go great with our lab and our white picket fence (j/k). Could we BE any more ordinary?

DH is the most practical of the practical men, so I really don't see this going any other way. lol. Ah well, apparently I like my vehicles like I like my men... (room for 7! :p )

kaisdad said:
Have you looked at the Honda Odyssey? My brother just got one for his family and loves it.
Its very nice, great ratings, and about $8-10K more then the Caravan of the same vintage. We have too many other things to direct our money too these days, unfortunately!

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Oh no! Welcome to mom hell. :D I second the Odyssey; although I've never driven one, my friends love theirs.

Ah well, apparently I like my vehicles like I like my men... (room for 7!
I think I just pulled a calf muscle laughing so hard. :p

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
theoconbrio said:
Ah well, apparently I like my vehicles like I like my men... (room for 7!
I think I just pulled a calf muscle laughing so hard. :p
That's what I was going for, Nathan in pain!

Can I at least me a hot soccer mom?

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
CoCosMom said:
Can I at least me a hot soccer mom?
Depends. We would need pictures of you stepping out of the minivan, kid and Lab in tow. Given the height of most minivans, it would probably be easy for you to "pull a Britney" (is that a legitimate term now?).

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
we had a dodge caravan- I didn't like it. It always had things going wrong with it. stupid little things. We own a Chevy uplander now and I like it so far :)

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
My FIL has a Caravan. It's his third or fourth. They are priced right.

I drive a Nissan Quest and they are quite long, when we bought it it was the longest minivan on the market. Not sure if that still holds true. But it does make it a ***** to park at times. lol.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I just exited the minivan days! I'm glad to be done, but it was absolutely indispensable for two little kids and the dog. We had the Odyssey, and loved it.

G

·
They really are practical vehicles - and the Caravans are priced well. I'll avoid any comment about someone wanting the Grand Caravan so they could get "an extra 11 inches." ;)

G

·
I had a Grand Caravan for about 10 years (I drove it for 6 and my poor son drove it for 3 when he got his license). It was extremely reliable! I had the GMC minivan prior - liked that too although it was very truck-like.

When I was in my "hauling many sweaty boys around" phase (because I have SUCKER on my forehead) the Caravan could not be beat. Prepare to be the designated driver for the entire time you own it.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
2LabsInNEPA said:
They really are practical vehicles - and the Caravans are priced well. I'll avoid any comment about someone wanting the Grand Caravan so they could get "an extra 11 inches." ;)
Not to mention aim boasting about how hers is longer.. *whispers - yeah sure it is, aim*

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
We had a minivan about years ago, I find my Nissan X-trail (small suv...same size as a Honda CRV) waaaaaaaay better on gas. minivans are total gas hogs. do you really need all that extra space? I have 2 kids and a lab and we travel a lot & haul a lot of gear & I find we have more than enough room in the X-Trail. Just something to think about. If you do go minivan, I have heard lots of great things about the caravan. Happy shopping!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts