Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, not exactly. More like Collegeville, PA, but you get the pixture.

The reherasal phase of Fiddler on the Roof has officially come to an end. Last night, we put 'er to bed. It is what it is, errors, blemishes, and sparks of greatness, all in one bundle.

I am shocked, frankly, to think that it's all over but the screaming. Tomorrow night, ordinary folk will sit in those seats, having paid good money, and watch us tell the tale of poor Tevye and the Anatevka denizens.

Part of me shivers with excitement, knowing that the living-breathing entity known as an audience is going to change EVERYTHING, the songs will be perkier, the jokes will be funnier, the heartache will be deeper....

And part of me (a small part, true, but I'd be lying if I denied it) is scared to death. Or thinks I'm absolutely out of my tree for having dared to think I could actually pull this off again, after being away from it for so many years. This nag is probably the result of concentrating too hard on the errors of the past couple of days... and yes, there have been errors. I've dropped lines, muffed songs, turned left instead of right, and missed costume changes.

But there is some comfort in knowing that mayhem aside, we have shouldered on. Piled scene upon scene. Moment upon moment. And in the process -- I hope -- told a worthwhile tale in an honest manner.

Shh ---- I believe I hear music somewhere....

"Another openin'; another show; In Philly, Boston, or Baltimo'; A chance for show folks to say hello; Another opening of another show...."

PS - I'm trying to get an electronic version of a photo I saw in proof last night for the first time. It is Golde and Tevye going toe-to-toe (literally), glaring at each other with daggers in their eyes. I would love to post it here and give you all quite a laugh.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Dan, you will be awesome I just know it. Your passion will bring you through it all. Relax, go with it and have fun!!! I can't wait to hear that your company brought down the house!!!!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
It's going to great, you're going to be great! :)

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to mention that DW#2 has been just so cool to watch during this whole process. It is her first book musical, her first experience outside a dance recital that unfolds in total episodic fashion. So she's part of a larger whole for the first time that is telling a story front-to-back.

She's boundless with energy. Bright as a penny. Eager. Excited. Fresh. Bubbly.

It has been so much fun sharing this with her. Laughing over the muffs. Gritting our teeth over the frustrations. Celebrating the triumphs.

I would not have wanted to do this without her. It wouldn't have been nearly the same.

But this way, we have memories that will, for me at least, last forever.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I bet it will be fantastic!

You'll have to report back to us and let us know how it went!!

How many shows are you doing?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I swear, I was just gonna ask you about Claire. You barely mentioned her at all during this whole thing! ;) Sounds like she was born into this!! I'm so glad to hear she's enjoying it so much!!

You'll both be grrrrrrrrreat!!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Doin' ah show is a special moment. When you put on the make up and costume tonight you will become Tevye, and channel all that experience and emotion. You have worked hard, enjoy the moment. Be Tevye. Let him flow. Break a leg. But not until curtain call closing night. :)

Live theater is fraught with glitches. My adviser was doing Shakespeare in rep one summer, rotating several shows, rehearsing on show during the day and performing a different one at night. She was in Taming of the Shrew. Only her and the other lead on stage when he started spouting lines from some other show. Didn't realize it until he looked in the wings at the stage manager and saw her rapidly flipping pages back and forth, waving her hands in the air and talking rapidly into her headset mic. Realized he had no idea where he was. He kept going. My adviser finally was able to utter a line that brought him back into the script. No one in the audience knew there was a problem. They thought the show was fantastic.

I used to tech for a living. We were doing a touring ballet where I had to help push a grand piano out to the center of the stage in the dark and retrieve it in the dark after the piece was completed. While out on stage pushing the piano back into the wings my hand slid under the key cover and I played a very loud sour chord. Off stage I apologized to the Master Carpenter who had helped move the piano. He asked me what I did and I explained the noise. He then opened the key cover and mashed a bunch of keys several times. Like this? Yeah, I said. OK. Don't do it again. Stage Manager came over and asked the Carpenter what happened. "My hand slipped" he said. Oh. OK. And she walked away.

What I learned from that was we are often harder on ourselves than it matters. Scenery breaks. Voices squeak. Costumes fall apart. Lines disappear. It happens. Shrug it off, improvise if need be. Move on. Don't dwell on it. Be Tevye and have a good time with him.

Break a leg!
LD

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aw, man. Thanks. Thanks for the good wishes. And sharing those stories. I'll let everyone know how it went over the weekend. Maybe Sunday if I can manage it. Definitely Monday.

Le'Chaim!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Good luck! and have fun!

I sang in my husband's R&R band for a couple of years. I snag a song one night, got the words wrong, actually missed a verse. Oh, I was distraught. Devastated.

No one noticed. Not even the band. I sang it again later and the crowd loved it just as much as the first time.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
If you get nervous just think of all of us here screaming

DWECK-DWECK-DWECK-DWECK-DWECK-DWECK-DWECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a wonderful time with your daughter & Break A Leg

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Overture! Curtains, lights
This is it! The night of nights
No more rehearsing and nursing a part
We know every part by heart!
Overture! Curtains, lights
This is it! You'll hit the heights
And oh what heights we'll hit!
On with the show this is it!

Break a leg!

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Good luck, Dan. I'm glad you get to share this with your daughter. A long time from now, it will be a memory she will cherish.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts