Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember Duke my older son's dog that we had trouble getting from his ex?

Well Ken has decided he wants to join the Air Force. He has the number of a recruiter and will be calling this week. I'm scared for him but if this is really what he wants I will stand by him and be proud.
What is bothering him about this is having to give up Duke. I just don't think it would work out with me taking Duke. He is such a hyper and alpha type dog. Whenever he would come here I would have to send him home for causing fights. As little as he is he has no trouble picking a fight with Harley or any other of my crew.
I mentioned calling the ex and seeing if she still wants him and he in no way wants her to have him. :-\ He really doesn't want to give him up permanently.
We won't let him go to a shelter, but I just don't know if anybody would want him. He also jumps my 4 foot fence with ease. I will take him until a home could be found. I mean he loves it here and loves my dogs, but he wants to be boss.
I may try to work with him and see if he can become a better behaved dog. He is used to being an only dog so I suppose that's why he doesn't know how to act with so many others at my house.
We will see what comes of this and if Ken is even accepted into the Air Force or not.

Here's some pictures of Duke from last year.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
He's so cute, Paula. I totally understand the alpha dog problem. It can be so trying.

Best of luck with whatever you decide, and thoughts for your son in his decision.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I know you'll do what's best. Good luck with your son and the AF it's a noble job and I'm so proud of those who are willing to do it. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Paula said:
Remember Duke my older son's dog that we had trouble getting from his ex?

Well Ken has decided he wants to join the Air Force. He has the number of a recruiter and will be calling this week...

What is bothering him about this is having to give up Duke...
I mentioned calling the ex and seeing if she still wants him and he in no way wants her to have him...
He really doesn't want to give him up permanently...
We will see what comes of this and if Ken is even accepted into the Air Force or not.
If your son has made a decision to join the AF, then the dog will have to find a new home, unless for whatever reason, he is not accepted into the AF.

If 'He really doesn't want to give him up permanently', no one will take him and care for him and love him and then expect to have to give him back. That wouldn't be right. So unless you are willing to foster him, which it sounds like it would be quite a challenge, his only option is to go back to the ex, someone he knows and loves and who loves him...unless that is not the case and it is just a power struggle thing between the ex and your son.
What is the right thing to do for Duke, emotional issues aside?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh! No advice, just wanted to say I hope you all can work something out. I know you'll try. Sounds like a terribly difficult situation to be in. :-\

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I talked to Ken this morning and told him I would be willing to keep Duke. I do love that little dog, even though he can be so bad.
Now the thing with Ken is he only has a GED and I'm not sure the Air Force accepts this, but he will be calling and talking to someone about this.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Hey, Duke is a cutie! I don't remember seeing a picture of him before. The funny thing is, as I was reading your description of him, I kept seeing a JRT. He sure looks like he's part JRT. He reminds me of the dog some people I babysat for in high school had. Boo's coloring was different- more Beagle like, but he had the same body build as Duke. He could be quite the character! :)

...Now the thing with Ken is he only has a GED and I'm not sure the Air Force accepts this, but he will be calling and talking to someone about this.
Kole seems to think the Air Force will take someone with a GED, but he's not sure (remember, he's just a DEPer). I remember from when Rob was interested in the Navy that they won't. That's why he repeated his senior year instead of getting a GED.

Hey, I just thought of something, Paula- wouldb't it be a riot if both Ken & Kole ended up in Basic at the same time? We'd be able to finally meet in person at graduation! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts