Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some pics taken today on four of our wetlands and dawg training ponds here on the home property. Several mallard broods have hatched and are doing fine. There's a lot of water and cover this spring so both ducks and geese look like they should do well. We've trapped and disposed of 14 raccoons in the past 25 days and that has reduced the predation dramatically this year. Of all the baits I've used for them, marshmallows are far and away the most effective.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v413/NevadaJim/Feb 2009 Forward/100_2361-5.jpg

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And as happy as the two dawgs are during season ... they couldn't care less about anything other than "fetching" until then ...

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Hey Jim...I ask this very cautiously, did you relocate the coons or dispose :eek: of them.:( Why do I ask, I think I'm a glutton for punishment.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Beautiful! Your property is so awesome :)

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hey Jim...I ask this very cautiously, did you relocate the coons or dispose :eek: of them.:( Why do I ask, I think I'm a glutton for punishment.

We uhh, err ... relocated them.

(He shakes head wondering why some people like gluttony)

:p

btw: You might e-mail my Carol at [email protected] and ask her how much she loves those adorable racoons.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
So she doesn't like the cute little coons??? They can be a pita, so I'm glad you relocated them, I just wish they could have enjoyed their new freedom.:eek:

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So she doesn't like the cute little coons??? They can be a pita, so I'm glad you relocated them, I just wish they could have enjoyed their new freedom.:eek:

If you look carefully, those are mallard eggs next to the Pampas grass. That's just one of the more than 12 nests that have been destroyed by the coons so far. The hens will re-nest up to 3 times if their eggs are destroyed.

For those nests that have survived so far, our next fear is that the $#@*^ coons will catch, kill and eat the ducklings. Then all we have to worry about are the hawks, crows and turtles that consider ducklings a delicacy at this time of year.

Carol will not kill a raccoon. But she doesn't want them relocated and set free only to return here or kill wild nesting birds and domestic fowl elsewhere. We've used raccoon proof artificial duck nests evelated on steel poles in the water. While that discourages the coons, the ducks aren't particularly comfortable with them. I've tried chicken wire enclosures around a ground nest but the coons quickly learn to climb them. Worse yet, they are a clever animal and quickly associate such enclosures with nesting ducks and then raid them all.

I'd put out poison laced canned cat or dog food (a favorite coon trap bait) near the nesting areas for the coons but fear that non-targeted stray animals may get into it, or worse ... one of our dawgs. It's a real battle and after fighting it for five years now, I can tell you that's why Carol and I share such an intense dislike for raccoons. They are often rabid, frequently unafraid and even aggressive towards dogs and people and will destroy any nest, bird or chicks thay can get to.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts