Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's a lot for us. I would guess we got about six inches. It's been at least ten years, maybe more, since we've had that much.

The boys absolutely loved it last night! We let them out to romp and they were just tearing it up out there. But overnight, we got a sheet of ice on top of the snow about 1/2" thick. That was not at all well-received by the boys. They were scared to death this morning, ears folded back, tails tucked under. Every time they took a step, the layer of ice would give way. Poor little guys! They looked like they thought the world was crumbling beneath them. I don't blame them at all...it is very hard to walk in. Simon actually fell down.

It's been hard to coax them out to potty today. This morning Kevin and I had to accompany Angus to the backyard, because he had been refusing to poo since yesterday morning. He did the scared, tentative walk all over the backyard, finally did his business, and could not get back in the house fast enough.

I don't know what to do about walking them tonight. It doesn't seem super-safe to walk them on the streets, which are pretty icy. :( But Angus will not usually go unless on a walk. However, I don't see him really getting into a long walk in this. Oh lah, as Linda would say...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Such a shame that the ice is spoiling it for them...I bet they would love the snow if it were not for the dang ice!!

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
The water in front of my house froze up over night, when the tide went back out it was a giant sheet of ice. Gracie ran down the steps and went ice skating. I took her up...I thought she might get hurt

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Connie, we got about 6 inches over here in Greeneville too..... then sleet.... it was warm enough all day it's just mushy now..... tomorrow may be a different story though !

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Poor little guys! They looked like they thought the world was crumbling beneath them. I don't blame them at all...it is very hard to walk in. Simon actually fell down.
Aww, sorry their fun was spoiled. It can be painful to walk through the ice in this situation, because you have momentum forward, if the ice is hard, the front of your legs keeps hitting against the ice.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Just before Christmas we got hit with a 20 inch snowfall, and then sleet right after. That crust made it treacherous. In some areas it would support HK walking, but if she tried to run her legs would punch through. Our dog park was like that too. It took close to a week before the dogs a nd the peeps crushed through enough of it for the dogs to be able to run.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Yeah its the ice that is really treacherous. Thankfully, we get just snow pretty much. Occasionally ice. Overr Christmas break we got some snow with a layer of ice and Tal and Barney did not like that either. I really felt for them trying to navigate through the stuff so they could go potty. They kind of sweep aside enough snow to poop. Barney is so funny because if the snow is up to his chest he MUST carve out a place to go. Else I guess the snow is too cold on his butt.

I just don'y walk them when it is icy like that because I have a tendencey to slip on it and I am afraid they will get cuts on their paws from the ice.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last night I ended up going out and clearing a path from our back door to the back of the yard, in the hopes they would use that to go potty. Of course, I'm sure I didn't do the right spot. ;)

I hadn't thought about the ice hurting the fronts of their legs. Poor guys!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry to hear the ice suddenly spoiled their fun, poor guys. Inca was totally different when we got layer of ice over the snow. She'd blast over it absolutely loving it, she's a nutter :D

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Stupid ice! We deal with it all the time here, it does not seem to bother mine, but I don't walk them because I know I'll end up on my butt.
Hopefully Simon and Angus are able to at least navigate the ice to do their potties, and I hope it's gone soon enough.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Y'all are making me and my dogs very, very happy that we live in the land of no snow! (Well, except for about every 10 years.)
We are also from the land of no snow...and yet, there it is! We haven't gotten anything like this in at least ten years. Usually we get maybe an inch, once, during the winter. Everything here shut down on Friday. I bailed out of work about 9:30 and brought work home. They officially closed our office at noon. I have never known them to close the office. Not even after the downtown tornado in 98.

Good news - the path I made worked! Kevin said both boys followed it this morning and pottied successfully! I didn't shovel away all the snow, I just broke off the layer of ice and threw it to the side. I am glad they used it, because I spent about half an hour last night at 10:30 doing that! LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts