Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had it all planned: get home early from work on Weds, feed and go to bed. Maybe get more'n three hours of sleep.... Jane watches the girls till 11pm, then I come down and watch till about 3am, then she finishes the night off. (She's retired, I have to work so...she gets to watch longer)

So I get all comfy....fall asleep.... and the phone rings. Misty is foaling- it's 8:30pm. I race down to Jane's house and we deliver a beautiful bay FILLY! She's up in 20 minutes and bouncing around. However, it takes her FOREVER to pass her first meconium. She never even tried till about 2:30am.... we debated giving her an enema, probably should have but she was never in discomfort.

I got back in the house and watch Kharrie, who is perfectly calm and quiet. No restlessness, nothing. At 3pm I wake Jane up so I can go get some sleep so I can function at work in the morning. Not even 45 minutes later I get a call that Kharrie has FOALED!! Back down to the barn I go! She had foaled a gorgeous, TINY cremello filly! Filly is already trying to stand.

So we stayed with her until she pooped, which was about 6:30am. I normally get UP at 6 to get ready for work! Not yesterday.... I called in and told them I wasn't coming in, I just can't function on 2hrs of sleep!

Both fillies are by our Buckeroo grandson. Three down, three to go! But I'd really like to get reacquainted with my bed....

Pictures hopefully to follow tonight!

Lucy

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
PICTURES!!
PICTURES!!
PICTURES!!
:D

Thank God everything went smoothly. What's with the "staying with them until they poop"? I never heard of it.....

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Yay!! Can't wait to see pictures!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PICTURES!!
What's with the "staying with them until they poop"? I never heard of it.....
If your foal doesn't pass the meconium (first poop-very hard, sticky and hard to pass) by itself within a few hours they will need assistance or they can get impacted and colic- even rupturing their intestines. So, we wait and watch. Once the meconium is passed everything is soft and easily passed. :D

Lucy

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Wow Lucy, I've never heard of that. Interesting.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts