Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kayla (our 4 year old lab) had 2 bouts of diarrhea on our carpet while I was at work. She then took blankets and covered it up :eek: We got it off the carpet fine with enzyme cleaner and much shampooing, but the blankets are still suffering! I've soaked them once, washed them twice, and they still stink. I was wondering if anyone had ideas of how to get the lingering poopy odor out.

Also, do you think Kaylas problem might indicate that she picked up Charlies puppy worms somehow?? My stomach is feeling crampy too, I'm a little worried myself :(:p

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
sounds like giardia to me and now you may have it if your feeling ill.
No advice on the blankets. Maybe try soaking them in the enzyme if you have not done that?? Full strength. Then through the wash. Bleach?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Do you have a vet appointment? If not, I would make one ASAP.

That's odd about the blankets though. I would think that washing them would take care of that. Hmmm.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I'd use hot water and bleach in the water and if that does not clear the smell - probably nothing will.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I think maybe you're right! I feel bad though because it's one of those thick, lush microfiber blankets and it's brand new!! Probably the microfiber sucked up the yuck!! Oh well. Thanks for all the ideas though, I'll try one more time maybe first.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Yeah, I think maybe you're right! I feel bad though because it's one of those thick, lush microfiber blankets and it's brand new!! Probably the microfiber sucked up the yuck!! Oh well. Thanks for all the ideas though, I'll try one more time maybe first.
Soak it in a good concentration of Oxy Clean, then wash and put plain, white vinegar in the rinse. You will be amazed at how clean and fresh it smells!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up washing it three times and the last one seemed to get it. The smell was gone! Thanks so much for all your replies!! :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've had good results with baking soda. Actually, that's how I clean Soleil's collar (nylon): I let is soak in water and baking soda overnight, then wash as usual. That's the only thing that gets rid of the smell.

Try to do a hot wash (as hot as your blanket can stand it) with regular laundry soap + at least 1/2 cup of baking soda. Use white vinegar instead of softener.

If you want to be extra safe, you could let the blankets soak overnight in the washer with a lot of baking soda in water before doing the wash cycle as above.

Baking soda is safe for your fabric, I add it to our clothes wash cycle every so often to keep everything clean. I hear that's how you get the smell out of cloth diapers too ;-)

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts