Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Congrats!
What an exciting finish to that game! There's nothing like a close game 7 Stanley Cup final.
I was rooting for the Pens, so I was pretty happy. (No particular allegiance, but I tend to pull for the underdog and the Wings have a lot more recent cups to their credit.)

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I can't believe how BADLY the Wings played...totally embarassing.

Another question, all of my Canadian relatives HATE the Wings...they all live in Ontario (some near Windsor)....so what's with the hatred. I am just curious, I actuallly looked online and it isn't just my relatives. Hell, you can google it and there are a TON of inquiries LOL

·
Registered
836 Posts
It was a great series. I was not sure we could do it in the Joe. Now if only someone in Da Burg knew how to play baseball. Wouldn't it be something to win all three sports titles in one year!

Hey Cindy, Blacky wants to know if you are still at Lowes? He has been up to see you a few times this spring.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I can't believe how BADLY the Wings played...totally embarassing.

Another question, all of my Canadian relatives HATE the Wings...they all live in Ontario (some near Windsor)....so what's with the hatred. I am just curious, I actuallly looked online and it isn't just my relatives. Hell, you can google it and there are a TON of inquiries LOL
Really?? From my experience, I would say there are a lot of Wings fans. I thought they had a large fan base in Windsor. Funny think about Canucks, they like multiple teams and continue to watch even once their team is knocked out. Or in Toronto's case, once the season is over since they never make it to the playoffs!! LOL

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I agree Julie. They didn't start playing like they belonged in a Game 7 until 5 minutes to go. I had to turn down the sound about 5 minutes into the game. Sidney this, Sidney that. Up until last night, he hadn't done a **** thing. Now's he's won ONE Stanley Cup. The Wings were the defending champions and they barely got a mention in the series. The cameras stayed on Crosby all the time. If he hiccuped it was a major story.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I am a pens fan but I do agree about Crosby's attention from the media. He is a nice kid though but I felt sorry for Max Talbot, who scored both goals & not much was said about him. Plus Malkin is another great player.
They all stepped it up a notch & like most other sports.....one player does not make a team. But I think alot of it is that Crosby is such a nice kid and he is so young. Makes good news. :)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
No, he's been crowned the NHL poster boy, just like Eric Lindros before him. Lindros was another who hadn't won anything, but the NHL promoted him to poster boy above such deserving players like Steve Yzerman. When the Wings swept the Flyers, you would have thought they were stealing the championship from Lindros from what the announcers were saying.

We in Detroit know that Bettman dislikes us which is why he gets booed here if he even sticks his head out of the box he sits in. Even when we win the Cup he gets booed up until the time he hands it off to our captain.

I don't know why the league and most of the announcers dislike us so much. Maybe because we win? Dunno, but it's pretty obvious.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I am a pens fan but I do agree about Crosby's attention from the media. He is a nice kid though but I felt sorry for Max Talbot, who scored both goals & not much was said about him. Plus Malkin is another great player.
They all stepped it up a notch & like most other sports.....one player does not make a team. But I think alot of it is that Crosby is such a nice kid and he is so young. Makes good news. :)

Not just saying this because he's from here, but Sid is pretty much the best player in the league right now, isn't he?. The kid is s superstar. Some would say the next Gretzky. I think he's worth his hype, but I am by no means a hockey expert, so I don't know everyone's stats.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
That depends on who you ask, T. He's getting the hype because the NHL is hyping him. If they hyped say Henrik Zetterberg like they do Crosby, then who knows. The NHL will never hype Zetterberg though because he's a Swede.

I'm not saying Crosby isn't a good player. I'm just bitching that he's getting all this attention without first earning it, just because the NHL anointed him.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
true , they are hyping him, but isn't it well deserved? i mean, he's only 22, a baby. Not saying the other, older guys aren't good, they sure are, but he's pretty much a phenom.

This on Sid

"In his first season, he finished sixth in scoring with 102 points (39 goals, 63 assists). By his second season, he led the NHL with 120 points (36 goals, 84 assists) to capture the Art Ross Trophy, becoming the youngest player and the only teenager to win a scoring title in any major North American sports league. That same season, Crosby won the Hart Memorial Trophy as the most valuable player as determined by the Professional Hockey Writers Association, and the Lester B. Pearson Award as the most valuable player as determined by the NHL Players Association. He is the seventh player in NHL history to haved earned all three awards."

That's pretty damned impressive, I'd say. I don't think Zetterberg is quite there. he's good, but Sid the Kid is pretty amazing. I think he deserves every bit of hype he's getting

Again, I don't know all of the other player's stats, I just have an interest in Sidney as he's from here.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
And I'll say again, the NHL has been promoting him as the great Canadian hope from the beginning, which helps him in all that. ;)

I think he's a good player. Great? Not yet. Let him develop on his own without all the promotion and let's see what he does.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
From the first, it looked to me like the Wings were half asleep. The Pens took the puck where they wanted it and pretty much controlled the game. I know nothing about hockey, I only watched because it was Game 7, but I was very disappointed in what I saw.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Well being from this area I see more about Syd. He lives with Mario Lemieux and his family. He does alot with youth hockey in this area, he is not cocky and he is a true team player. I think he shows a lot of maturity for his age (21) and I think he will go on to be an even greater player in the future. I think of lot of the hype is because he has done things at such a young age.

I wonder though how long Evgeni Malkin will stay in his shadow. There was a write up in the paper about how good he is and will he go to another team eventually. Those two are great players and then of course don't forget Fleury. He was outstanding. Another very young player.

I hope they can all mature together & stay together......that will be something to see in years to come. :)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
They were half asleep Jackie, until 15:00 into the third period. Then it was like the Wings said, "holy ****!" and woke up. Too late, peeps. If the periods lasted 25 minutes instead of 20, they might have pulled it off.

Too little too late, and Pittsburgh deserved the win. For the most part, they didn't let up for the whole 60 minutes of the game.

The Wings fans deserved better. It's the Pens fans who will be drinking out of the Cup this year.

If I was Mike Illich, I'd be pissed. Totally unreal in a Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
And I'll say again, the NHL has been promoting him as the great Canadian hope from the beginning, which helps him in all that. ;)

I think he's a good player. Great? Not yet. Let him develop on his own without all the promotion and let's see what he does.
He came out of the gate bigger than any of the rest of them, did you read what I posted? His stats are amazing, aren't they? And for his age, he is the VERY first to achieve what he has. I don't think it's hype, it's fully deserved credit. He has already achieved amazing things.

They can promote all they want, but it's HIS talent that is being promoted. They aren't making stuff up, he IS all that. :) He HAS developed quite a bit already in the last few years , and he IS great. Hopefully he'll only get better.

Hype & promotion doesn't make you a star, talent does. If Sid didn't have the chops, they wouldn't be praising him.

=)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts