Registered
44,122 Posts
so true...and unfortunately I always :vomit:
The other end for me, usually right away. Not good. :whistle:

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
dweck said:
Eileen had hers out when we were in our first years of marriage. After the procedure, she couldn't laugh. Was absolutely unable to laugh w/out searing pain. ((This was the NON-laproscopic version))

But she needed to walk.

And so I remember walking around the hospital w/her, which, because she couldn't laugh, suddenly had become the most hilarious place ever. All those portraits of stodgy doctors on the wall?? **snee** Looking embalmed?? **snerk** And the squeakiddy wheel on the med cart?? **hee** That then wobbled like a supermarket cart **fhhhhe**

It wasn't long before Eileen told me not to visit anymore.....
Yeah, that was me too. I had to hold a pillow on my midsection to cough or laugh. But at that point, I didn't have much to laugh about! It hurt and they also taught me how to roll out of bed sideways. Thank goodness you won't have to deal with all of that tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I had mine out about five years ago. Other than being sore and not being able to straighten all the way up for several days, it was no big deal. Anaesthesia doesn't do anything bad to me. Just a good sleep, but when you wake up it feels like no time has passed and that is a bit weird.

Being careful with what you eat for a while is a good idea, altho I had no problem with that, and don't remember trying to eat carefully. I mainly just tired quickly

Frances

·
Registered
546 Posts
I work for a healthcare scheme and we regularly authorise this procedure (laparoscopic cholecystectomy), my soon to be Mother in Law also had hers removed around a year ago now. She had to take 4-5 weeks off from work and said that the op, even though it was laparoscopic still took a while to get over.

She said she had the option to either have just the stones removed or take the whole gallbladder out. She opted for the latter due to the fact that it means it can't happen again in the future!! She also said the pain was worse than childbirth so didn't want to risk going through that again.

Good Luck anyway, i'm sure it will all go fine :happy:

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Good thoughts for tomorrow Laurie!!! My niece just had the same surgery a few weeks ago (stayed overnight) and she was up and about and feeling fine within a few days.

I'll give you a call in a couple of days.

Good luck!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Laurie, I had my gallbladder out just before I turned 21. I went through almost exactly what you did! The surgery was a breeze - even though at that time they did the huge, diagonal cut almost from navel to nipple! :hurt:

Bill had his out in 2003, very quick, and he was healed and back at work in about 10 days.

Prayers and good thoughts for a perfect surgery and speedy recovery!

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
yep, my SIL had hers out the end of October. She was being treated for heartburn, esophagus stuff, etc...they did a "cleanout" of her esophagus and she went into severe pain. Bro took her to the ER; she failed some test (lol) and ended up staying in the hospital and having the gall bladder out by lapro the following morning. she's still having some troubles with heartburn and is very careful about what she eats (usually). had some slight pain in her side where the surgery was done for a few days; but she popped back really fast.
Best of luck, girlie! Hate you have to go through this!

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
SIL had hers out last year and was back to work in 10 days (though she only had 1 child 14 not 4 as young as yours). She said it wasn't bad just watch what you eat...nothing to cause gas and walk to keep the stuff they inflate you with from pocketing under your rib cage or shoulder blade as that really hurts. The best way to cause you body to asborb it is to walk about 5 minutes every hour or so when you are awake.

Good luck and you will be in my prayers have Dan or Steve let us know how you are doing.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
MidwestGirl said:
Melissa said:
Everyone's different I know - Dan mentioned being "chilly" coming out of anesthesia. Every time I've come out of general anesthesia I have shivered violently. Like, I feel like I'm going to shake myself into pieces violently, and no amount of warm blankets took the edge off.

So, just be prepared for that possibility - I didn't know what the heck was happening the first time and it freaked me out!
so true...and unfortunately I always :vomit:
I had those crazy shivers during my c-section...my hubby thought it was just my nerves but it was the medication. I almost :vomit: right on Lanna as I was breastfeeding her afterward! Thankfully I didn't until she was out of my arms again.

My sister had the gall bladder surgery and was just fine. She does describe the pain as worse than labour, though...(she, like me, had a c-section so doesn't know the feeling of childbirth but definitely of labour)...anyway, she recovered well and felt great afterward. :happy:

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
No experience, but I wanted to wish you a speedy recovery. I didn't have any side effects the one time I was under general, but my throat hurt really bad for a couple of days - couldn't talk at all the first day.

I did have those shivers with my spinal blocks for my c-sections though.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Good thoughts for you tomorrow. I've never had my gallbladder out but have had other surgeries with general anesthesia. The sleep is amazing, you don't even realize you're going out!! I am a little wierd coming out of the anesthesia though, both times they've woken me from general anesthesia I've threatened the doctors! :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Sending prayers and a big hug. I know several people that have had the surgery and said it wasn't too bad. Worst part was having the drainage tube removed.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Ouch..! How big of an incision do they have to make? I had my appendix taken out a couple years ago and they cut me open a few inches on my stomach. Worst pain I've ever had in my life trying to get out of bed because they cut through all of that stomach muscle. Not fun at all! :no:

BTW - some interesting info here: http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/CONSUMER/CON00010.html

Good thoughts and prayers! :happy:

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I had my appendix out about 10 years ago - not laparoscopically - and the surgery was simple and recovery was not bad at all. The worst part frankly was trying to get up from or sit down onto the couch. The abdominal muscles hurt like hell when I did either of those. But - for the most part - not such a big deal.

Good luck with your surgery!

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Hey there girl! Sorry to hear about your "sick gallbladder". My parents both had their gallbladders out laproscopically in the past decade (Dad just this year at the age of 83), and withing 2 weeks you couldn't even remember that he had had surgery, he did so well. And he usually doesn't do all that well with anesthesia. I'm sure you'll do fine - enjoy your time off! Will be sending healing thoughts.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Good luck, I had mine out last Jan, was not stones, had just lost a lot of function, I can eat a lot of things I could not over the last couple years as it was going bad.

They did mine Lapro, have had 7 other surgeries that way, much better than the big hole type.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
Oh Laurie I remember all too well the pain of an "attack". I was expecting my 2nd child when I first had an attack. I had it out with 3 tiny incisions about 16 yrs ago. I remember the recovery was a piece of cake, in fact on the way home from the hospital DH and I stopped for lunch and I had a hamburger (the best I think I ever had!). Good luck tomorrow I'll keep you in my prayers!

21 - 40 of 43 Posts