Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks Dan for asking for prayers and good thoughts for me. I very much appreciate them. Actually the reason I'm havent been around much is because of my new job. I'm just not in front of a computer anymore so I've spent very little time on the net lately. I love my job and between that and the kids, my free time is limited.

Yesterday I woke up to what I thought was really bad heartburn. So I drank some milk and ate some toast thinking maybe I needed something in my stomach. I threw up 9 times in a half an hour and had such a terrible pain in my stomach. It was like someone squeezing my stomach. The pain went all the way around to my back. I knew something was wrong and this wasnt a case of the flu. I called Steve at work and he came home and drove me to the ER.

They gave me a shot of morphine. I was pacing because of the pain. They did a bunch of tests but finally did an ultrasound and found gall stones and found an impacted one which was probably the cause of my attack. They said I would need to get my gallbladder out sooner or later and that I might as well get it out now while I am still healthy otherwise, and avoid getting anymore attacks.

They sent me home last night with lots of pain meds. I slept 12 hours. Man did I have to pee when I woke up. LOL. Anyways, I'm not in too much pain right now. I go into the hospital at 7:30 am tomorrow for a 9:00 am surgery. I know that its suppose to be a routine surgery but I am freaking out about it a little. I've never been under general anesthesia and Ive never had any surgery before. I guess I've seen too many hospital shows. Plus, isnt my gallbladder there for a reason? Why can people go without it?

Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers. I've taken the next 2 weeks off, even if I dont need a full 2 weeks, so I can relax a bit with the kids in school, and me at home by myself. I'll pop in after the surgery or give Dan a call.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44,122 Posts
Hi Laur,
Jaime has recently....


I threw up 9 times in a half an hour
Holy! Thank goodness you went to the ER, you don't want to mess with the gallbladder!
Prayers for a quick recovery!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,306 Posts
HI Laurie!!

Thanks for checking in and good luck tomorrow.

I still have my gb. You can live without it but I think you have to limit certain foods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,373 Posts
MidwestGirl said:
HI Laurie!!

Thanks for checking in and good luck tomorrow.

I still have my gb. You can live without it but I think you have to limit certain foods.
Limited certain foods during the healing process, basically the ones the caused the gallbladder problems in the first place. Once you are healed, you can slowly introduce those foods and eventually have them back in your diet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,489 Posts
I had mine out when I was 19. I never threw up, but the pain was worse than having a baby. That was so long ago that they didn't have the laproscopic(sp) surgery. My sister had that and it was so much less invasive than mine. You will do fine, I'm sure. I don't remember if I had to watch what I ate or not, but I sure don't have a problem eating everything now!

Good luck tomorrow!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
joflake said:
I had mine out when I was 19. I never threw up, but the pain was worse than having a baby. That was so long ago that they didn't have the laproscopic(sp) surgery. My sister had that and it was so much less invasive than mine. You will do fine, I'm sure. I don't remember if I had to watch what I ate or not, but I sure don't have a problem eating everything now!

Good luck tomorrow!
Yeah! I was telling Steve that I would rather have a baby than have that pain. I dont wish that on anybody. :no:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,085 Posts
I was under a general for my knee surgery. It's like the best sleep EVER. I do remember waking up in recovery and being chilly, and they brought me a blanket that had been inside a small oven and was toasty. I think heaven feels like that -- all warm and up around your chin when you're chattering underneath.

I hated to wake up.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,075 Posts
Good thoughts for your surgery. I think today they do it laproscopically (sp) which is way better for recovery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,085 Posts
Eileen had hers out when we were in our first years of marriage. After the procedure, she couldn't laugh. Was absolutely unable to laugh w/out searing pain. ((This was the NON-laproscopic version))

But she needed to walk.

And so I remember walking around the hospital w/her, which, because she couldn't laugh, suddenly had become the most hilarious place ever. All those portraits of stodgy doctors on the wall?? **snee** Looking embalmed?? **snerk** And the squeakiddy wheel on the med cart?? **hee** That then wobbled like a supermarket cart **fhhhhe**

It wasn't long before Eileen told me not to visit anymore.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,955 Posts
I had a laparoscopy for endometriosis, not for gall bladder removal, but I would think the recovery would be similar, maybe?

If so... I went in in the morning. Was home that afternoon. My midsection was sore, but nothing horrific. I didn't take pain meds - as a general rule they don't really do much for me, so that may just be me. That was a Thursday. I took the Friday off. Jason and I ran some errands, went out for lunch. I was sore and achy, but again nothing horrible. I was back at work on Monday.

If it's not the same... ignore everything I said. =)

I've had gall bladder attacks before - nothing so bad that I had to go to the hospital thankfully - but I know that pain that feels like it's stabbing you straight through to your back. Glad you'll be getting yours out and won't have to worry about it anymore!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,075 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,955 Posts
Everyone's different I know - Dan mentioned being "chilly" coming out of anesthesia. Every time I've come out of general anesthesia I have shivered violently. Like, I feel like I'm going to shake myself into pieces violently, and no amount of warm blankets took the edge off.

So, just be prepared for that possibility - I didn't know what the heck was happening the first time and it freaked me out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,306 Posts
Melissa said:
Everyone's different I know - Dan mentioned being "chilly" coming out of anesthesia. Every time I've come out of general anesthesia I have shivered violently. Like, I feel like I'm going to shake myself into pieces violently, and no amount of warm blankets took the edge off.

So, just be prepared for that possibility - I didn't know what the heck was happening the first time and it freaked me out!
so true...and unfortunately I always :vomit:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,085 Posts
MidwestGirl said:
Melissa said:
Everyone's different I know - Dan mentioned being "chilly" coming out of anesthesia. Every time I've come out of general anesthesia I have shivered violently. Like, I feel like I'm going to shake myself into pieces violently, and no amount of warm blankets took the edge off.

So, just be prepared for that possibility - I didn't know what the heck was happening the first time and it freaked me out!
so true...and unfortunately I always :vomit:
I frowed up, too, but it was hours later. Like leaning out of the car window on the way home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,955 Posts
I never threw up, thank goodness. All my surgeries were on my abdomen - it makes me hurt just thinking about using those muscles to throw up at that point!
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top