Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was grating parmesan last night and my hand slipped - I grated the knuckle on my thumb! For the record... OUCH!

Of course I was cooking dinner for Jason's whole family at the time. :eek:

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything stayed attached to my thumb - barely! But yes, cheese given was uncontaminated. =)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I've done that, many times. OUCH!
Which is why I buy everything pre-grated now! :)

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was using a mandolin! But the piece of cheese wasn't the right size/shape to fit in the safety guard so I was just holding it.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
i was worried peeling potatoes with the peeler that something.. er.. "extra" was going to end up in there.. that thing is SHARP.. i finally complained to the union about unsafe work environments.. turns out, i wasn't in the union when in my mother's kitchen.. so i had to do it anyways.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got a Zyliss grater as a gift years ago, I love it for grating parmesan. No danger of losing any of your parts.

http://www.amazon.com/Zyliss-11370-Classic-Cheese-Grater/dp/B000FDZJG2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1262022033&sr=1-1
This is the first time I've ever grated parmesan! So, I can't justify buying a special tool for it.... although, maybe one thumb grated justifies it no matter what. =) I've never grated it myself before. That's what I get for trying to follow the recipe exactly - 'fresh-grated parmesan.' Next time I'm just grabbing the container of Kraft. :p

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I feel your pain!

I bought a new grater over the summer and the grating guard thing is worthless. So I've had a few scraped knuckles over the last few months. We grate a lot of cheese, as I just buy the bricks of cheese.

Luckily, I got the grater/slicer attachment to my Kitchenaid mixer! Woot. No more mandolin grating for me.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My problem is that I didn't scrape my knuckle, I took a chunk out of it. Well, it's not all the way out of it, it's a flap. ~shudder~ Then since it's right on my knuckle whenever I bend my thumb (which hurts by the way!) it pops it open. Every time I try to take off a bandage, I'm bleeding again within 5 minutes. I guess I'll give it till tomorrow then have my doc look at it. I feel silly, it's so small, but apparently it's deep. Luckily my doc is only a couple blocks from my office so it's easy to pop in.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
ooooh....liquid bandaid does burn like hell!

I haven't grated any skin but I almost always slice a fingernail...lol. I've never found one in my food...and if Denny has, he's been suffering in silence for years now!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts