Just Labradors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok we are going to Washington DC for vacation leaving DFW airport on June 29th and returning on July 4th. only time my hubby can take off in the summer. I really didn't want to come back until Friday but we have no choice so I will take what I can get.

So please everyone tell the best places to stay and what to visit we don't really want to stay in Washington DC if we don't have to and we are going to have a rental car while we are there so we can go and do what ever when ever. The only sure thing I know we are doing for a fact is getting our representive to give us a tour of the capital and the white house on Friday.the 29th. so then I know we need to see all the stuff in the Mall there. what else send me advise.

Marialice
Your friend in
Oklahoma

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Well, I would actually advise staying in DC and not having a rental car...driving in the city is crazy and parking is even crazier (not to mention expensive). I LOVE DC, it is one of my favorite places ever. I stayed there for 5 weeks as a congressional intern and it was SO awesome. The Metro is great and it takes you anywhere, so I would stay somewhere near a metro stop (preferably near the Capitol area, or George Washington U area) and then you have all of DC at your command. There are of course all of the Smithsonian museums, the National Archives, the Shakespeare museum, and lots of art galleries. Arlington Cemetary is another, besides all the Mall areas. The mint is a good one, too.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
the Smithsonians are wonderful and can take days just to get through them.
Also, your representative can issue passes for the Senate to sit in and observe.
White house tours are pretty strict now, and I am not even sure if they are still offering them. Might want to google and check it out.
I know in the past, you could only get tix for it the morning OF the tour...and had to meet somewhere in the morning where they issued them.
The Vietnam Memorial experience is profound. I would advise going right to dinner afterwards so you can have a drink.
The Korean War memorial is beautiful and was actually my favorite.
The vendors all along the mall are lots of fun.
There is a TON to do! You will have a blast.
Also, the FBI building used to have a tour, again, since 9-11 I'm not sure if you can get tickets to that now. But if you can, it's a fascinating tour.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well thanks for the info. I will have a rental car part of the package thing with the air line so we will see. I just have to find a motel that is one we like to stay in. I am sure there are plenty there to stay in.

G

·
i have never gotten so lost driving as i did when i ventured into dc. boy that was bad.
used to having a clue where west is and going from there.

which airport you coming into?

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I was in DC with my daughter a couple months ago. We stayed at the Hyatt Regency on Capitol Hill; just down the street from the Capitol, and near everything. Lots within walking distance, or a short cab ride.

One thing I'd definitely suggest is go see the Library of Congress, the Jefferson Building. It's spectacular. Modeled after a Parisian Opera House. Take the tour with a guide...lots of good info, and you'll see the Main Reading Room (no photos allowed in there); it's all something to see. :) It's said it's the most beautiful building in DC.

Oh, and The Museum of American History (one of the Smithsonian buildings) is closed for renovation for a few years. But some of the displays (Dorothy's shoes from The Wizard of Oz, etc.) are in the Air and Space Museum, upstairs.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Make sure yourcongressman gets you the tickets to tour the White House. You get to see more of it and in smaller groups. Also no standing in line. Think about taking one of the tours you can get on and off as often as you like. It is really great for getting around. We have done that several times and as you can get on it at Arlington National Cemetery it takes care of the parking problem.

My cousin's husband has been stationed at the Canadian Embassy several times in DC. I finally took them up on their offer and stayed at their place in Alexandria when they were gone home for 2 weeks. Used it to tour the Smithsonian to my hearts content. They had a metro station 2 minute walk from there house and it dropped my right by the Smithsonian it was great.
The only problem I had was my cousin's husband didn't tell me until after I was there he had told a coworker I would go to an Embassy dinner with him and of course I took no formal clothes. I hate to shop. Finally decided as I had 3 days warning to have mum FedEx me a dress, purse and shoes. Had to borrow good jewelery from my cousins stash. Had a great time.

The things I would see is the Museum of Natural History, the National Cathedral though it is off he beaten path, of course the White House and Capital, the mall with the memorials, Arlington National Cemetery, the mint and the FBI building if they are still doing tours.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I live and have worked around the DC area for the last few years. All the Smithsonian museums are definitely worth seeing. The Holocast Museum is eye opening but you have to get tickets in the morning to see the full show. Since I'm a little partial I would see the Marine Silent Drill team perform. There is a open ceremony at the Marine Corps Memorial (aka Iwo Jima Statue) on Tuesday evenings where you can just toss out a blanket or the Friday Parade at the Marine Barracks. The Friday show is worth the trip and shows off the drill team and President's Own (Marine Band).

As for staying and getting around go with a hotel somewhere close to the district and use the metro. The list of hotels can get quite large when you look at where the metro reaches. Just remember that the normal hours for commuting apply and the metro can take some time to get around.

Finally, get used to walking. We've had multiple family members come and visit who just couldn't handle the walking between different things they wanted to see. If you have any questions drop me a line and I can give you some more info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts