Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever washed a nylon leash in the washing machine before?? Fergus threw up all over his and it now smells so bad it's unuseable. I was just going to throw it in the washing machine, but hubby didn't think we should because of the metal that is on it. What do you think?? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
I've washed Henery's leashes and harnesses in the washing machine before (gentle cycle), but usually will put his leashes in a tub of hot soapy water, let soak, then rinse really really well, and drip dry. (too noisy in the washing machine!)

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I'd be a little leary of putting metal in the washer, too. Maybe you could scrub it with a brush?

How's Fergus doing, btw? I've been thinking about him. Last time I saw a post from you, he was depressed following his cruciate repair surgery. I hope the big guy is feeling better.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Poor Fergus. Why did he throw up? :(

·
Registered
29 Posts
I always put the leash in a pillowcase and tie the end, then throw it in with a load of laundry. Leave it in the pillowcase when you put it in the dryer too...comes out clean everytime.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
I wash mine in the sink then put them on top of the stove to dry... the pilot light alone works wonders for drying. If you don't have a gas stove, the pillowcase in the dryer idea sounds right.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
When I used them (and nylon collars) I soaked them in a bucket with warm water, soap, and Oxyclean. Then scrubbed, rinsed, and hung to dry.

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
nikkijean said:
I always put the leash in a pillowcase and tie the end, then throw it in with a load of laundry. Leave it in the pillowcase when you put it in the dryer too...comes out clean everytime.
Exactly what I was going to suggest! I've washed nylon and cotton collars and leashes this way. Only I hang them on the line to dry.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I've put Brigetta's in a lingerie bag and thrown it in with the rest of the laundy and then hung it up to try.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have washed collars before in the washing machine but I would worry about the metal clip on a leash. How about washing it in the sink with some dishwashing soap?

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I wash mine all the time, but I wash them with the girl's blankets and beds and stuffed toys and stuff, so it's like a full load anyways, and the clanging isn't an issue.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the tips everyone!! I never even thought about putting it in a pillowcase, I think I'll give that a try! The washing by hand is too labour intensive for me ;D

Labmom2Sun said:
How's Fergus doing, btw? I've been thinking about him. Last time I saw a post from you, he was depressed following his cruciate repair surgery. I hope the big guy is feeling better.
I saw your post a few weeks back! Thank you so much for thinking of him...I did respond, but I guess you didn't see it?? Fergus is doing a lot better, spirits are high and he is back to his usual goofy self! He is walking more and longer each day and is back swimming twice a week so we are doing much better! Thank you for thinking of him and I'll have to make sure I update a little more often!

jzgrlduff said:
Poor Fergus. Why did he throw up? :(
It happened after his swimming therapy. He tends to take in half the pool while he swims. The staff there are usually great about making him stop and rest and burp alot so this doesn't happen, but he swam with someone new the other night that didn't realize what a maniac Fergus is in the pool! It had been so long since we've had to worry about anything like that so we didn't think twice about loading him straight into the truck afterwards. Then about ten minutes into the drive home he threw up all over the place...poor guy.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I saw your post a few weeks back! Thank you so much for thinking of him...I did respond, but I guess you didn't see it?? Fergus is doing a lot better, spirits are high and he is back to his usual goofy self! He is walking more and longer each day and is back swimming twice a week so we are doing much better! Thank you for thinking of him and I'll have to make sure I update a little more often!
Oh man, I missed your update (prolly because I'm offline most weekends). I'm glad to hear Fergus is doing so much better. That's fantastic! Now if the silly guy can just keep from ingesting pool water... ;D

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I can honestly say I've never washed a nylon leash. When they get cruddy, I get a new one.

Never entered my mind to wash them.

I think I'll wash them and see how they look ;D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts