·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1/2 cup butter Yolks 2 eggs
1/2 tablespoon vinegar or 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice Few grains cayenne
French Chef

Wash butter, divide in three pieces; put one piece in a saucepan with vinegar or lemon juice and egg yolks; place saucepan in a larger one containing boiling water, and stir constantly with a wire whisk. Add second piece of butter, and, as it thickens, third piece. Remove from fire, and add salt and cayenne. If left over fire a moment too long it will separate. If a richer sauce is desired, add one-half teaspoon hot water and one-half tablespoon heavy cream.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Buy unsalted butter and you don't need to wash it, that removes some of the salt.

J

·
0 Posts
It used to be common practice to wash the butter after churning to remove any residual buttermilk and milk solids.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Is this an old recipe? I have some which say "kill and dress chicken" in some of my old books. And yes even factory made butter is washed to remove the residue of the buttermilk. But it is also often washed to remove salt from salted butter.

J

·
0 Posts
When you take cream to make butter (like I do with a mayo jar) the cream seperates into butter, and buttermilk. After the butter forms you are just washing it to get any buttermilk off of it. You dont have to do this with store bought butter. Its only with homemade butter.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
JollyMolly said:
When you take cream to make butter (like I do with a mayo jar) the cream seperates into butter, and buttermilk. After the butter forms you are just washing it to get any buttermilk off of it. You dont have to do this with store bought butter. Its only with homemade butter.
I like it when somebody demo's homemade butter somewhere I'm at, can always trade fresh bread for it and we both come out ahead. (OK I hijacked it, but it is sloooow here at work. ;D)

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Where'd Shanna go to, oh gawd, I bet she just put the butter in the washing machine. ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts