Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, tonight we headed to the local Provincial Park that we walk often. It was hot here today so took her for a walk and a swim. While we are at the beach, another couple arrives with there 3 dogs. Two females and an intact male. One of the females was young, around 9 months I am guessing.
Any way, Oakley and one of the females are getting along great. The other two are constantly at Oakley. The young one was in her face a lot and the male was following her trying to mount her.

Finally Oakley had enough and growled and put the young one down on her back. So I am yelling at Oakley to stop and on my way over there to get Oakley out of there but the man is closer and He KICKED Oakley! He said "get off my dog" and kicked her. It didn't hurt her as he was too far away to get a good kick at her but he did make contact with his foot.
I said "I don't appreciate you kicking my dog"
They moved to one end of the beach and we moved to the other. No more words exchanged.
I know that Oakley shouldn't do that and I have worked socializing her. She has played with a lot of other dogs and has never had this problem.
But I could not believe that man had the gall to kick my dog!!!!
Was I wrong to say what I said?

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
Re: Was I wrong to be annoyed?

...Was I wrong to say what I said?
Absolutely not. :) I also don't think Oakley was wrong, either. Sounds like she put up with a lot from those dogs, and was just standing up for herself. Personally, I wish someone would do that to Caleb- he needs to learn some "doggie manners".

·
Registered
746 Posts
Paula said:
He was very wrong to kick her. I would have been livid and I would not have been so polite.
I agree. I would have let him know that the next time he would be on his ass looking up at me. Oakley was only doing what dogs do. People like that guy just don't understand dog behavior, they are ignorant.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
I'm sorry your outing and Oakley's was ruined by this idjit!! I agree with everyone else, poor Oakley was just trying to tell that dog ENOUGH!!

Pups need to learn manners and there's no excuse to allow your dog to continually hump another. Some people are so stooopid!

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
IMHO, Oakley had put up with enough from the others and she was just doing what dogs do...like others have said. I would have been livid...

This pretty much hits the nail on the head...

Jeep274 said:
Paula said:
He was very wrong to kick her. I would have been livid and I would not have been so polite.
I agree. I would have let him know that the next time he would be on his ass looking up at me. Oakley was only doing what dogs do. People like that guy just don't understand dog behavior, they are ignorant.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
He NEVER should have kicked Oakley. I would have been livid too. Abby is a pain & is always bugging Molly because Molly lets her. Our breeder's one female put her in her place when we were training & I was glad. Abby needed that. She was getting too bossy. That is how they learn. I only wish Molly would put Abby in her place once in awhile.

You had every right to be mad.

K

·
0 Posts
I would have kicked the guy right back.. Oh wait that would be bad.. No I dont think it is wrong and anyone who knows me know I wont take other people being mean to my dogs..

·
Registered
89 Posts
LabMommyKathryn, I'm with you on this one! I know violence begets violence and all that, but I would've given him one on the shins. Oakley was well within her rights.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I would have been pretty ticked-off, too.
That would have been like you kicking his dog who kept trying to mount Oakley. Sheesh. Wonder how he would have liked that? ::)

They are excited, possibly playing the "dominance" thing, though obviously not aggressively so... why interfere? It seems like we certainly get a number of posts about people kicking other people's dogs...what are they thinking? Do these "dog people" know *anything* about dog behavior?!?

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Most people are unfamiliar with canine etiquette...this jerk was obviously one of them. Oakley had every right to put the young dog in it's place. The man was totally at fault. He should have had control over his dogs and he absolutely should NOT have kicked Oakley away.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Trickster said:
Most people are unfamiliar with canine etiquette...this jerk was obviously one of them. Oakley had every right to put the young dog in it's place. The man was totally at fault. He should have had control over his dogs and he absolutely should NOT have kicked Oakley away.
I TOTALLY agree................. I'm just glad he didn't actually hurt Oakley..... I'd have kicked that SOB in the ba$$s !!!!

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
Of course he was the only person who was wrong. :mad: Oakley just showed the other dog that was enough. And she had crossed a limit. That's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Poor Oakley. I'm glad she's OK.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I think that you should have just let Oakley do her thing too...yelling at her probably made the guy think that she was going to hurt his dog....I think he is 100% wrong, but at the same time, let the dogs work it out.

F

·
0 Posts
Kicking or hitting is never a solution in case a dog is involved :)

But, the other dog was laying down on his back, in a playful way, or a angry way ???

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Uhhh... God help the person ever kicks my dog in my presence...for real. Unless my dog is latched onto your private parts and is bearing down, dont kick my dog.
You handled it way better than I would have.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That owner would have gotten an earful if he had kicked Chance. But I have to admit I'm intimidated by doggy etiquette rules and always nervous about how Chance will act with other dogs. He put my friends canadian eskimo dog in his place after he tried to mount him - so I have a feeling Chance would have reacted the same way as Oakley. By the way - were you at Oakfield park? We go there often too! And I love the name Oakley :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts