Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe the dog's owner called the cops. ::) Proof positive that some people should not be in the gene pool.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/odd_spray_painted_dog

Wandering dog spray-painted 'Go Home'

CHUBBUCK, Idaho - Animal control officers had to decide if they were investigating vandalism or animal mistreatment after someone spray-painted a dog. A resident reported that he found the words "Go Home" spray-painted on the sides of his large white dog late last month.

The animal had been allowed to roam freely, Capt. Mike Sanders said.

"An animal like that is domestic property, so technically that's vandalism," Sanders said. "It's really not the dog's fault. He's just doing what dogs do."

It could have been worse, Sanders said. Idaho law requires an unfenced dog to be either on a leash or under supervision of its master. And landowners are allowed to shoot a trespassing dog if that dog is harassing livestock.

Sanders said detectives have not determined who spray-painted the animal. They decided to drop the case, partly because the dog's owner shouldn't have let the dog roam free.

It's both inappropriate and unusual to paint a dog, Sanders said.

"It's a little novel. It's different in the respect that it sends a message," Sanders said. "That's what always appealed to me about this work: It stays interesting."

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I don't know who I'm more disgusted with. The dog owner is an idiot and the painter isn't a prize either.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
tar and feather the person who spray painted the poor animal :(and tar and feather the animal's owners for letting him wander around all the time unsupervised

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
WeHeartLabs said:
tar and feather the person who spray painted the poor animal :(and tar and feather the animal's owners for letting him wander around all the time unsupervised

I don't think I agree with this. Considering it's legal and within his rights to shoot the wandering dog, everyone should be grateful that he simply made a (drastic) point.

The dog is fine, the dog owner is probably humiliated into watching his dog for a while, and the spray painter is probably pleased enough that he got all this attention that he's going to leave the dog alone.

Are they all idiots? yes.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
who ever wrote this headline should be fired.. i was hoping to read about a dog who could spray paint.. impressive!

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Asshats all around. The Neanderthal who painted the dog could've simply called Animal Control. It would've taken a fraction of the time he spent "sending a message" to the owner.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
A neighbor down the street had 4 cats and used to let them run because they didn't want to clean a litter box. Well the 4 montsters thought all of us with desert landscaping were the place to go. I trapped the cats and put cheap collars on them with a note that if they continued to use my desert landscaped front yard as a giant litter box they would have to collect them from the pound. It put a stop to that problem. My front yard is all rock and is layed out nicely so I didn't appreciate the cats tearing through my plastic underlayment. It was costing me to fix it and lets face it you desert landscape to save water and cut down on lawn maintance.

I also held neighborhood garage sales to raise funds to get all the ferrel cats spayed or neutered. For a while we had 10-20 cats running around dumping trash cans and digging up yards. Not to mention teasing the dogs by walking on the top of the fences.

I never turned them into the pound just fixed them and crated them for a few days recovey and released them. This was 5 years ago and no unowned cats any more.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
wow...thats really amazing of you that you took the time (and money) to get them spayed/neutered. Thats great!

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
That's just absurd. ::) I don't know who is the bigger fool....the owner, or the "painter."

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
azlab, that was an awesome thing you did!

I think it was very fortunate that nobody shot the dog. I don't know that Mickey would have restrained himself if he was allowed to wander and there was livestock (especially chickens or geese) nearby, which is one of the many reasons why he's not allowed off leash.

Personally, I think they should have spray painted LEASH YOUR PET on the hood of his car. Or had a blanket party on him and written IRRESPONSIBLE in laundry marker on his forehead. As the article said, it wasn't the dog's fault, so put the punishment on the one who deserves it.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
gabbys mom said:
WeHeartLabs said:

I don't think I agree with this. Considering it's legal and within his rights to shoot the wandering dog, everyone should be grateful that he simply made a (drastic) point.

The dog is fine, the dog owner is probably humiliated into watching his dog for a while, and the spray painter is probably pleased enough that he got all this attention that he's going to leave the dog alone.

Are they all idiots? yes.
Unless he was harassing their livestock, they dont have the right to shoot it. And what kind of person spray paints an animal to make a point? There are many more things you could have done to make your point.
I stand by the tar and feathers for both.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Am I the only one who thought it was funny...come on, the paint will eventually fall off when the dog sheds...AND WHERE IS THE PICTURE!! lol

·
Registered
786 Posts
I though I better add, no I wouldn't paint a dog but there is far worse things that could have happened.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That was my thinking too. The dog could have ended up dead instead. This was a much better outcome. If the painter had just had the dog taken to the shelter the dog could have 1) still ended up dead if the owner didn't claim him or 2) the owner would have picked him up and probably let him right back out to roam again. As it was, the owner was an idiot for involving the police and thereby the press and should be sufficiently humiliated to keep a closer eye on his dog. Or maybe not. ::)

No I don't think painting an animal is the right thing to do. Do I think things could have been worse for the dog...Yes. Do I think it is the owner that should have been painted and/or branded...Most definitely yes!

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
WeHeartLabs said:
Unless he was harassing their livestock, they dont have the right to shoot it. And what kind of person spray paints an animal to make a point? There are many more things you could have done to make your point.
I stand by the tar and feathers for both.
We don't know that he wasn't harassing the livestock.

And frankly, it takes most people a lot to get to a point that they'll do something that drastic about a problem. They likely had called animal control or the owners before about it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts