Just Labradors banner

Which of these tools do you primarily use?

• Prong collar

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Choke chain

• Harness

• Easywalk/nopull harness

• Martingale collar

• Regular collar and leash

• Gentle leader/head collar

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
We started with a prong collar from the time Oona was 6 months to 1 1/2 years old. Now its just a flat collar and a 6ft leash.
Olie

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
I typically walk Molly with her regular collar and a leash although I'm starting to use her martingale more often because she can't slip out if she jerks suddenly or if she pulls back for some strange reason.

Abby always walks with her no-pull harness and easy walker leash. Makes life enjoyable :D

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Regular collar and leash for all four dogs. Sometimes if I am walking another dog or two I will take up to 5-6 dogs on regular collars and leashes. Then we go off leash at our destination. I would not take 4 or more dogs on just a leash walk.

Why do I use a regular collar and leash? training. Lots of it.

F

·
0 Posts
None of the above mentioned collars ;D

Just a regular collar over here for Laika ;)

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
Regular collar and leash. Many times Emma only wears a collar and I keep the leash in my hand. Since she was a puppy she has always been much off leash on our walks. And she has always walked very good in a leash, NEVER been a puller! :angel: For me is the leash a safety tool when we cross roads, or walk beside a road, meet strange dogs etc. It has always been important for me to have a mental leash between Emma and me. I can trust her.

She owns a harness (well two actually) we use if we are going for hikes and I know we are going in places there she can't be off leash very much. To give her neck a little break. But actually it seems like she likes wearing her collars better. Probably because she do not pull. ;)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Barnsley uses a prong collar and walks quite nicely with that, Lilly has the gentle leader and still pulls some but does not make my hand hurt anymore :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
I use a choke chain. Many people do not like them, but I decided to try it since I am a small woman and Mar is quite strong. In the winter he would pull me all around and I would slip on the ice, but with the choke chain, I have better control over him while training him not to pull. He has learned quite quickly with it on and I seldom have to jerk it tight.

I had a harness before - I was told it was better for training. I don't agree with that. In fact, I found that when the dog pulled with their mid section they had much more strength than just with the neck.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought that prong collars were for pullers and choke chains were for corrections during training. Am I losing my mind or did I really hear this somewhere?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I read the subject line as "Walking STOOLS". LOL!

Prong for Frankie, regular for Tucker.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Regular collar and leash for Zoe.
She did have a choke, but graduated.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Jake uses a flat buckle collar with his flexi and when we're places with minimal distractions. If we're going places he'll wear his easy walker harness and a regular leash start with and then we usually switch at some point to his regular collar.

We used to use a prong, but found the harness worked much better for us.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm like Marlansmum... small in stature. Lily and Legend both have prong collars. My husband and I walk the two togther. I walk Lil who only weighs about 70 pounds but who gets excited to meet and greet when passing by other dogs, so the prong helps me to handle her better. She is the "let me stand on my back legs and get a better look" kinda of gal.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
I experimented with both a pinch collar and a Gentle Leader for Theo. He preferred the pinch, so we used that for high-distraction settings when Theo was younger. I didn't train with it (I did most of his heeling training off leash or on the flat collar), but just used it as a passive tool when I knew he'd be too distracted. Now we use the flat collar almost exclusively.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
When I go for longer walks or somewhere Brigetta is not familiar with, I use the GL Easy Walk Harness. She spooks so easily that the choke or pinch collar would not stop her and I'm afraid of hurting her. When

I just got a martingale to use when I'm just taking her out to potty. She has a tendency to back up, so it works great for that. I can just slip it over her head instead of using a flat collar she can slip out of or having to put on the harness.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Ranger is almost 6 months old. I just started using a prong collar 2 weeks ago per the trainer's suggestion. We tried the gentle leader. But, he pulled so hard with it that it was leaving marks on his face. I didn't like that at all. And no, it wasn't too tight. I used a prong collar on my black lab and had great results. It is doing okay with Ranger. Better than the gentle leader, but he still pulls if he is over excited. I hope to go to a regular collar eventually like I did with my Lab girl.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts