Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around the church campus here I have started to let Tal walk off leash with me especially after what good behavior he showed yesterday.

We had a cookout tonight and earlier this afternoon one of the guys doing the grilling came by for my keys to get in. I used it to see how Tal would do walking with me and someone he did not know. He was his usual friendly self but when it was time to come back, I called his name and he came without hesitation.

Then later this afternoon, I was playing fetch with him in an area on the back of the property by the playground. I saw someone sitting there but didn't realize he had his dog with him also until I tossed the ball for Tal to fetch. When Tal got his ball, he stopped and looked at them, then came running back to me.

I am so proud of him I could just burst! Don't worry tho...I will never walk him off leash around the neighborhood. Too dangerous. But on the campus here when few peeps are around it's a good chance to get some time getting him used to it.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Good boy Tal!!!

Great training Dad ;D

Molly says "hey tal I bet it's fun running off leash!! i'm not allowed since i don't do a good come"

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Good boy Tal! Isn't it a great feeling? Walking off leash in the mountains and in safe places is the one thing Apollo has always been great at. It feels great to know your dog trusts you enough to stick by your side even when given the freedom to run off leash.

T

·
0 Posts
Great job Tal. Just a thought -- hope I'm not out of line here -- but I always see the prong collar in your photos. I hope that Tal is also wearing some I.D. w/ his name and your phone number. As much as we like to think our dogs are reliable ... they are still dogs and well, you just never know.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Good for Tal! ;D

I was very nervous about letting Angus off-leash. We never let Crash off-leash. He was the type to get a scent and just take off. Kevin had a Golden before he and I met that he used to walk off-leash all the time, though, so he was insistent about trying it with Angus.

I, too, was very surprised (and pleased) at how well he did!

PS I thought about Tal yesterday. Downtown there is a building with a sign that says "TAL." It stands for "Tennessee Art League." :D

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ThatsMyGirl said:
Great job Tal. Just a thought -- hope I'm not out of line here -- but I always see the prong collar in your photos. I hope that Tal is also wearing some I.D. w/ his name and your phone number. As much as we like to think our dogs are reliable ... they are still dogs and well, you just never know.
Oh yes...his normal collar is on also and it has his Sally tag with my cell and home nos, his rabies tag and his Merial registration tag. he's also microchipped...lthe $41 for the chip and $18.50 Avid registration were small prices to pay...

I am starting to use the prong collar less and less because of his good behavior. You'll probably be seeing that prong collar less and less in future photos of him.

T

·
0 Posts
myfavoritedog said:
ThatsMyGirl said:
Oh yes...his normal collar is on also and it has his Sally tag with my cell and home nos, his rabies tag and his Merial registration tag. he's also microchipped...lthe $41 for the chip and $18.50 Avid registration were small prices to pay...

I am starting to use the prong collar less and less because of his good behavior. You'll probably be seeing that prong collar less and less in future photos of him.
Ya know, I really should have known better than to mention it. I know you take great care of Tal ... and I'm sure you would never let him out and about without identification. My bad :)

·
Registered
841 Posts
It's the law here in the states that all dogs (and maybe even cats) have to be vaccinated for rabies. I think it's done every three years. Don't know what a Merial tag is.

What a good boy Tal is! And a handsome one too. :)

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
merlin said:
"his rabies tag and his Merial registration tag"

What are these? Has Tal had some sort of rabis shot!?
the vet gives a rabies tag when your pet has been vaccinated for rabies.

The first package of Heartgard, which is made by Merial, had a tag with a number on it and instructions how you could go to Merial's website and register your dog with that number. It was free and I figured with that, the microchip and his Sally nametag, surely if he ever got lost that would get him returned to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts