Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, I was wondering if there is any difference if you walk your dog on leash on the pavement or off leash in the trails where the ground is soft? I just wonder about their bones until they are fully grown. Also how old before a pup can go swimming, Cooper is almos 6 1/2 months and loves to stick him head in the river to reach the rocks, but that is as far as I have let him go so far.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I don't think it matters as long as it isn't forced, you wouldn't want your pup jogging with you for an extended period of time. At Cooper's age no more than a half hour of running with you at a time. The thing I always worry about when the ground is soft is if Oona were to try to suddenly stop and lose her footing and blow an acl or something. If your just out for a leisurely walk its no problem. As far as swimming I let Oona be the judge of that. Its still pretty cold in Central NY and she has been swimming a couple of times already. If she wants to come out I let her. Your dog is old enough to swim, I would make the first experience as much fun as possible. If your doing it in a river make sure its at a point where the water isn't really fast. If you can find other dogs that swim to go along they will teach Cooper by example. If its in a lake make it at a beach where he can walk in.
Olie

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Avoiding all pavement walking is unrealistic but you should keep longer walks on hard surfaces to a minimum. Walking on grass or dirt is lower impact on a pups joints.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts