Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Walking in the Rain

As Labs need plenty of exercise which has not been so easy this last week as it has rained and rained, my MIL told me I was mad walking Sask in the rain and she would suffer later in life with bad joints etc etc, am I mad or is it OK to walk her in the rain, I personally love walking in the rain, but if it is not good for her I will stop. I thought Labs were water dogs, any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Re: Walking in the Rain

I prefer to walk with the pups on rainy days. It is cooler and often keeps the bugs at bay.
Lucy doesn't seem to mind one bit, Cricket either.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts

Shouldn't cause any problems, and will definitely help with the exercise. My Toby adores the rain. Chamois, however, is less convinced. Still, we all go outside to play and walk, rain or shine.

B

·
0 Posts

Oh my gosh I can't imagine how walking in the rain would hurt your dog. She'd suffer more with bad joints from getting overweight IMO.

Anyone with more expertise care to correct me? I just don't see rain being an issue.

F

·
0 Posts

Labradors are build to swim, so i gues a litle bit of rain whould do no harm ;)

·
Registered
312 Posts

I love to watch Rocky retrieve in the rain. He runs a million miles an hour out to whatever I throw and skids by it by about six feet. It's hilarious. Rain is definitely OK.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts

Rain won't cause any problems at all with joints.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts

Zoe doesn't like to walk in the rain, but we do it anyway.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks everbody I will continue to walk in the rain, it is good to know that you all do it as well. Saska loves walking and playing in the rain, but she will not go outside to toilet if it is raining strange, my husband sometimes jokes that we should get her an umbrella for when she wants to toilet, Sometimes my MIL makes me feel like an idiot, and she has never owned a dog ever

·
Registered
7,913 Posts

I actually prefer taking my dogs out in the rain. On sunny days you get tons of fair weather walkers with their out of control dogs, dropping litter everywhere. On rainy days no one is around. :)

Sometimes my MIL makes me feel like an idiot, and she has never owned a dog ever
I think this says it all. Ignore her...she is talking rubbish.

·
Registered
68 Posts

I LOVE walking in the rain with Keegan. There was one time it was pouring out so hard the water was up to my knees (which was just about almost over her head. Gotta love Cockers). and she had to swim :) It was hysterical. She didn't want to come in!

And Labs are even bigger water lovers than Cockers - so I think that you would be fine walking in the rain.

·
Registered
549 Posts

Only thing I do different when walking and it is raining is that I have the raincoat and boots. Otherwise, it is business as usual. Copper doesn't come with us as "Miss Princess" does not like to get her feet dirty. The water she doesn't mind, just the muck. :angel: :angel:

·
Registered
127 Posts

Where do people come up with this stuff?

MILs can be a challenge...despite being married to her son for 16 years, mine still can't remember my name. I'd try to sell her on eBay, but I wouldn't get a single bid.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts

I have a couple "breathable" rain suits, a golf umbrella (no metal in it), a Gore-tex hooded raincoat, boots with rubber lowers, rubber sailing boots, a marine heavy weather foul weather suit & hat, among which I can mix or match to suit the level of rain on our early morning hour walks.

I check the local radar on The Weather Channel (TV) just before going out to make sure there's no lightning or tornados in our immediate area for the next hour -- they're the only things that delay us from going out.

Tell your MIL that Labs descend from the "St. John's water dogs" and need a certain amount of getting wet or they'll have a less healthy and shorter life.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts