Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting bored at work and excited and anxious for the 2nd pup. What do you all use to walk to dogs at the same time? Two separate leashes? Special dual-leashes, etc? Tips? Tricks?

Cheers

·
Registered
806 Posts
Before you even think about walking two dogs together, you have to make sure they each walk nicely on leash by themselves. Then, to answer your question, I use two seperate leashes. I tried a coupler, but unless you do some very specific stay training, you'll have a dog being pulled around while it's trying to poop.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Two leashes, otherwise guaranteed when one wants to sniff the other wants to run. Takes some getting used to, be prepared to spin in circles, issue desperate "heel" commands to Ender, and generally look silly for a few days.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Definitely two leashes, especially at first. Couplers and all that are ok when A: dogs know each other very well and B: dogs walk quite well. Otherwise it's unfair as when one goes sniff here the other is dragged. And you have no control over the dogs separetly.

as mentionned above, it's good to walk the new one seperately some of the time both to train and to build your bond. With my fosters I admitted do not do enough of this, but do work on their leash walking skills. Trust me, even when you think your dog walks well you quickly see how even innocent sniffs that were easy to redirect with just that one dog become a problem when you have a second dog.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Two DIFFERENT COLORED leashes (so you know who's is who's at a glance) and two trained dogs. If one is untrained, its a fiasco and can be very stressful. Once you get that down, you should get 3, then 4...

·
Registered
618 Posts
I see many people walk 2 dogs and they are always on separate leashes. I did spot this one guy that had his dog on a combo leash and it looked like it was on some kind of retractable leash so it didn't pull the other dog. I think it was homemade. Kind of interesting.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
oh I also wanted to mention - Personally I prefer having one dog on a shorter leash (4ft). Rocky gets the 6ft leash though it's often rolled up (so it is abit less than that). I have never tried different colors that isn't a bad idea at all! Only I love my leather leashes (best on the hands) :)

two 6ft leashes is a pain in the butt to handle!

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Two leashes for sure I walk mine both on the same side as they tend to do better that way. I use 6' leashes but I could definatly see how using different lengths would be nice because it's hard keeping the extra leash out of the way some times. You'll have to figure out what works best for you and the dogs. Good luck

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I use two leather leashes, too.. but they're the same length, i just ball them up in my hands.. it's interesting, to say the least..

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I walk Bauer and a French Bulldog together quite often, and agree with 2 different length leashes. Lucy (frenchie) walks really, really well and doesn't wander so I walk her on a 4 ft. leash and she stays right next to me. Bauer walks good, but like to wander a bit. He gets the 6 ft. leash. They both walk on the left side, and we really don't have too much trouble (unless we see a dog that is wandering around off-leash, then things might get crazy).

Yesterday I saw a guy that was jogging with 3 dogs (2 labs and GSD). 2 dogs on one side, 1 on the other, all on separate leashes. They just stayed right next to him and jogged along, it was very impressive.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I walk Tal and Barney on separate leashes also. Never tried the same leash thingy, although some people like it. I taught Tal walking on leash on my left, so I taught Barney to walk on my right. I am in the middle. It is easier for me that way to control them.

One incident that convinced me to keep them on separate leashes, one time we were almost home and there was a pit bull. I wasn't sure if the dog was friendly or not but having Tal and Barney on separate leashes allow me to swing them behind me so I was between them and the other dog. It also allowed me to take an aggressive stance and the pit walked away. I bet the dog was ok, but you cannot be too careful.

I got two different color leashes for them. Both are camo, Tal's being green and Barney's blue. It helps, esp when they are playing fetch, but barney's neck is smaller than Tal's and I didn't wanna have to go thru the adjust thing every time we went somewhere on leash.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Two leashes here as well! Both the boyz have their own 6ft leather leashes, and they walk very nicely together, Ollie on the outside left, and Henery between him and myself. The momma's boy has to be closest to Momma, after all. ;)

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Dogs will find a natural place (I find). Most of my fosters would walk next to me and Rocky on taht same side, but on the outside. With Kobe, Rocky goes on the opposite side! LOL.

I find a 6ft leash can be abit of a pain in the city. IF the dog is too far out he is either in teh street or blocking the entire sidewalk so it means alot of rolled up leash in my hand. But for nature walks or in larger trails I like the 6ft leash.

Yesterday I saw a guy that was jogging with 3 dogs (2 labs and GSD). 2 dogs on one side, 1 on the other, all on separate leashes. They just stayed right next to him and jogged along, it was very impressive.
I have done this once or twice (lab, ACD, GSP) ;) LOL, it is an interesting experience. I run with Rocky on a leash that ties around the waist, LOVE IT. I recently switched the first one I had would tighten around me when he pulled which led to some interesting exepriences LOL. the one I have now does not tighten.

When fosters (or dogs I dogsit) do well on leash I just loop a 4ft leash inside the one that clips around my waist for a mostly hands free experience. But usually this only happens abit before they go...

·
Registered
454 Posts
There was a guy at the park I used to go to who had two dogs, one either end of a single piece of rope. He would then hang on to the rope near the middle of at whichever point was most comfortable for him. I don't know, maybe that works really well but I use two leashes and alot of determination because neither of mine are good leash walkers and always get interested in things at polar opposites so I'm standing there looking like I'm being crucified.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
That's us (when Rhys feels well enough to jog! ('Cept I ain't no guy)

But let me tell you, the first 2-3 weeks jogging wasn't remotely pretty. I may have even cursed.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
The only thing I can add is, carry plenty of treats. We have both found that it is much easier to control the boys in times of great distraction if they know we are "holding." ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts