Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have a snail shower (AKA walk in doorless shower)?

We are remodeling our bathroom and SU really wants one. I'm looking for dimensions but I haven't been able to find any on the internt. I think I'll probably have to get rid of my garden tub (I really don't want to) or completely relayout the bathroom in order to accomodate it.

If you were buying a home, would you buy one that only had a shower in the master bath? Honestly we don't use our garden tub that much but when we do...heaven! I was wondering how often other people used their master bath tubs.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Put in a Jacuzzi tub when I built the house. Have yet to use it in the 8 years I have lived there, waste of a couple grand. Also put in a shower with a glass door, this get used 100% of the time.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dweck said:
A doorless shower?? What about flooding issues? And doggie visitations?
HA! No flooding. Not sure about doggie visitations. They are designed to keep the water in. They can be very simple or very, very elaborate. If we remove the tub, we will go with a very elaborate one (dual shower heads, rain shower head, etc). This is a simple one...

Hunter said:
Put in a Jacuzzi tub when I built the house. Have yet to use it in the 8 years I have lived there, waste of a couple grand. Also put in a shower with a glass door, this get used 100% of the time.
I considered a Jacuzzi tub but I thought it would be too loud. Like I said, we don't use our tub that often and I just couldn't justify the expense at the time. It's good to know that we aren't the only ones that prefer showers.

·
Registered
922 Posts
We have a walk in shower without a door. It's approximately 5 1/2 feet by 5 1/2 feet - not exact because one wall is curved glass block. We have the double shower heads (his and hers). My shower head also has a hand held shower for washing dogs. :)

We also have a jacuzzi tub. I don't use it very often but I do like having it and when I am in the mood for a bath I really enjoy it. When we were building our house I was wearing a long arm cast due to a surgery. I told my husband that I didn't want a bathroom without a tub, as trying to shower with a long arm cast is a real pain in the butt. At our old house we just had a shower in the bathroom, so I had to use the kid's tub if I wanted a bath.

·
Registered
479 Posts
We are in the process of remodeling our bathroom and are doing a doorless shower with glass block like your picture. I hate shower curtains and glass doors. But, I did use a walk in shower with glass block and boy it was cool outside of the water. Guess the doors/curtains keep in some of the warmth of the water.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
I love those walk-in showers....very nice. But I wouldn't want to part with my garden tub either.
Extend the bathroom and have both! :laugh:

G

·
My inLaws have walking in showers. Mom just redid theirs, they needed something easier for Dad, he fell getting in or out of the tub (after a shower). It has a seat in the back as well. They finished it with something that lookes like slate (might be slate for all I know) and a block glass window on the top half of the one "wall". I'm not sure how it would be done for different models or builds, but they did put a small 3inch high lip to separate and help with the water issue.

As far as buying a house, I would love a house with a walking shower like that. I would also like to have a tub in the second bath for soaking on occasion.

Can't wait to see pictures.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
We've got a beautiful tub that we paid extra for and haven't used it in 4 years. We do have the glass block shower, mostly because I whined until I got it. It is freezing. Whatever side of you isn't in the water is absolutely freezing. Even in the summer, early in the morning it is still freezing in there.

I wouldn't get one again, but if I still had my heart set on it then I would make sure that the shower heads come from both directions.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So walk ins are colder. Hmmm...it's 120 degrees here in the summer. Is colder necessarily going to be a bad thing? ;)

dweck said:
I are dumb. What is a garden tub?
Garden tubs are deeper/wider than a normal tub and usually oval in shape. Normal tubs are usually around 27-30" wide. Garden tubs are 40-42" wide.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I am soon going to be redoing my bathrooms, and both the bathtubs are getting tossed out. Never use them. NEVER. I'm putting in showers, period. I don't care about resale value. By the time I'm ready to leave this house and property, the house will probably be torn down anyway as the land is worth far more than the house will ever be.

Never heard of a snail shower. Personally I like a pounding spray :)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
I had one in New Orleans in my apartment. Be very careful with how it is put in, designed, etc. Mine was poorly designed and I ended up having to wipe the floor everytime because of the splatter.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
My dad and stepmom did a master shower "suite". It is unbelievable. All done in those huge brownish tiles...and they have a walk in shower; with jets coming at you from all angles...no door ... it is AWESOME. They have a huge area, so they also put in a jacuzzi tub.
I went into a lot of new homes (upscale) last year and that was the latest and greatest...walk "though" showers.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I love it! :)

We almost did one in the house we built last fall. If you go to Home Depot, you can special order the whole kit. Price-wise, it wasn't a whole lot more then buying a high end acrylic shower kit.

Some friends of ours had a HUGE walk-in shower constructed all in tile. It is gorgeous! She loves it, he does complain that it makes for a chilly shower. But maybe, it is just a "shrinkage" thing?? :p ;)

Good luck! Make sure to take loads of before and after pictures! :)

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
You can build the walk-in shower for less than and acrylic model of a similar size. Ofprimary importance is getting a good positive slope to the drain in the floor and to position the sower head as far from the doo as you can. You can use a sheet of tempered glass for a screen. If you can, stop by a bathroom fixture showroom (not Home Depot or the like, but a real show room for Architectural specified products) and you'll see several examples of how they are put together.

Here's an example of one that is available as a kit:

http://www.bainsneptune.com/english/douches/luna.html

1 - 20 of 30 Posts