Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Personally I think it's a dumb law, probably passed by folks who know nothing about using the collar correctly to train.

The shock collar can be a Godsend for dogs that simply cannot develop distance control using other methods. I know of two people locally who have tried everything, and then used the shock collar to stop their dogs from refusing commands at a distance... a real life saving device, IMHO.

What about the collars they use for underground fencing, those too emit a tone and then a shock if the dog gets too close to the boundary.

Do the law makers in Wales prefer that the dogs wander into the roads and get killed instead?

I cannot fathom shocking a dog into submission.
If you believe that is how a shock collar is used, you need to learn more about using it correctly. It is no worse than a leash pop.

I don't use shock collars on my dogs, but if I ran into a situation where I knew the collar would probably solve the problem, yes, I would give it a try. For many dogs the alternative is rehoming, death by car or drowning (around us, they swim off into the ocean and don't come back) or returned to the shelter.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I remember a Dog Whisperer episode where he used one of these collars...the dog had lost a leg because of his obsession with tractor tyres (while rotating on a tractor). Now which is preferable a couple of sessions with a collar used correctly and under supervision to modify the obsession or the dog killed? Sometimes extreme situations require extreme solutions.

A dog should not be roaming loose in the UK, councils will pick up any strays - and if in the countryside, a dog can be shot on sight if worrying livestock. Dogs can also be romoved from a household if of the 'pit-bull type' (pit bulls are banned in the UK) or causing a 'nuisance' (excessive barking or agression)

·
Registered
804 Posts
WalesOnline - News - Wales News - Electric shock collars banned in Wales

They're concerned about them being used as an ongoing thing rather than for a specific time. The RSPCA frequently euthanise dogs so I put rather less weight on ther opinion than the Dogs' Trust (who never put a healthy dog down - I've sponsored a dog with them for years) but I still think a 'blanket ban' is a bit like 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater'...why not allow their use by suitably qualified people???

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
I agree 100% with Linda's (3Tails) post.

People who buy an e-collar and, with no training in its proper use, then charge it, put it on, and then shock the piss out of their dogs when they do something they don't like, SHOULD be fined -- and maybe have the e-collar used around their neck for awhile.

BUT 100% opposition to the use of an e-collar is blind (and, IMO, almost as stupid).

I bought a Dogtra 200 NCP (now replaced by a similar model with different #s).

This followed 3 potentially serious incidents with Puff, close together in time, on our morning off-leash walks in our nearby nature preserve.

In one, a developmentally disabled adult from a nearby institution was walking with an aide when Puff saw them 75 yards/m. away and went running toward them. The DD man was startled and frightened by a dog bounding towards him and so climbed his attendant like a tree. Puff was ignoring my demands to return and her 50'/15 m. check cord was out of my reach.

A park dept's truck going slowly (8 mph?) through the 2 "+" shaped roads that divide the heart of this preserve attracted Puff's attention and she ran toward it, tail wagging, getting scarily MUCH too close to its front wheels.

On one of the many unpaved trails through the woods, Puff saw a skunk and started to chase and bark at it. FORTUNATELY, I was (barely) able to grab the end of her 50' check cord.

I then researched e-collars and chose the Dogtra because:

-- it has a variable intensity level (from "0" to full strength).

-- it has a choice between a stim of either VERY brief (N= Nick) or longer, 5 seconds (C= "Continuous").

-- it has a non-stim mode (P= Pager) which is a vibrating buzzer.

My academic training is in the proper use of rewards and negative consequences. My PhD dissertation was on an aspect of learning theory and I've had scores of graduate semester hours in this field.

I bought and read a good book on the proper use of an e-collar.

I had Puff wear the e-collar several times daily WITHOUT ever activating it for 14 days.

When I did begin activating it, I used it at the VERY lowest levels of stim until I could detect a just barely noticeable reaction by Puff.

THIS level also corresponds to the setting at which I can just barely feel a tingle when I send it to my bare finger tips.

In MY use of our Dogtra, I use the "P" (Pager = vibrating buzz) 99% of the time.

On those VERY rare occasions Puff does NOT respond to either my commands OR to the following "P" = e-buzz, I send a "N" = Nick.

Only about one out of 500 times or more do I ever have to resort to a "C" -- 5 sec. e-stim.

People who judge e-collar use without knowing how they should be properly used are sadly, perhaps dangerously, misinformed.

People who use e-collars without being trained in how to properly use them are stupid and, almost certainly, dangerous.

Those who do not properly discriminate between those two groups are equally stupid and potentially dangerous to the health and safety of dogs, IMO.

I own TWO Dogtra 200-NCPs e-collars because I found it's use SO valuable to Puff's safety that I did not EVER want to risk the possibility of losing the function of one without a backup.

It's been years since we've used them daily.

BUT, from time to time, Puff tends to begin blowing off my verbal or hand signal commands and so I buckle on her e-collar (first w/o using it for several days) and then reminding her to more promptly respond to my commands, primarily with the "P" signal, and only rarely with the "N".

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Prong collars and E collars are illegal here. But you can buy them online. I think the authorities turn a blind eye until the dogs is hurt by irresponsible owners then they are fined heavily. Without the law they can't be fned and most people can't used them properly. Our dog clubs and obedience have also started to frown on choker collars for the same reason. People don't use them correctly.

I have never seen a prong or E collar.

·
Registered
456 Posts
100% right bob. I have a tri-tronics and i rarely use it mostly because i conditioned her the right way where i don't need to keep pressing that "C" or "N" button. I just use " B" like you do to warn her if she's not listening to me, and she quickly understands i mean buisness.

Just to add to that list. I was in field training, apple was driving to her duck about 100 yards out and 20 ft away from her there were two deers running across the fields. If i didn't have apples collar on her, she would have chased them right into the woods. These collars save lives, if used the right way.

Again i was clueless about this collar stuff so i seeked out different professionals and stuck with the one i felt most comfortable with. I would never recommend people doing this on there own, unless they've used and conditioned dogs on the collar before.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have purchased the same Dogtra as Bob. When used with NILIF style training it has been very effective. I am only in my 2nd week with it and I already have much better control and she listens when i speak now. I only use the "nick" a few times a day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts