Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help on this issue -- Aila is now 4 months old and when we first brought her home at 8 weeks, I diligently set my alarm to get up every 2 hours and take her out of her crate to do her business. As she became older, I started to stretch that out to 2.5 hours, 3 hours, etc., and she was doing very well. We go to bed between 10 - 11 pm every night and I get up at 4:30 am every day and Aila is use to waking up at 4:30 am as well. However, she now has been in the habit of waking up between 1 - 2 am and won't stop whining. I made the mistake of indulging her the first few nights by letter her out of her crate and taking her outside, but then she just wants to play and run around the house. I have tried to just let her whine, but it is so heart-wrenching to hear. I've also made the mistake a couple of times of bringing her into bed with us, just to stop her from whining and so I can get a couple of hours of sleep before I have to wake up. I know that I shouldn't do this and that I should just let her whine-it out -- just wanted to get some feedback from other lab owners.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Kate is seven months old and she did that a few times. She would sleep from 11 to about 5 when the alarm goes off. But there were a few times she would wake up around 2-3 a.m. and start crying. I nevber knew for sure if she had to potty so we took her outside. I learned from the other two that once I let them play in the middle of the night that is what they wanted. On those nights when she would cry we would go out & then right back in the crate. This may not be for everyone but around 5 months she was allowed to come in the bed. She did much better and now sleeps through the night. I also noticed if she had enough exercise she seemed to sleep better.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
If you don't want her in bed with you, don't put her there. It only takes a couple of times and they think that is their bed too. Trust me on this, I have 2 labs that sleep with me . Let her whine, yes it's heart-wrenching but she'll learn it gets her no where and quiet down and start sleeping through the nigh. If you take her out at 1-2 and she wants to play, it's not a matter of having to go potty, she wants to play. It wont take her long to figure it out, they are smart and also good at working us to get what they want, not what we want for them. lol

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I agree, let her whine it out and learn that night time is sleep time. When she learns that she gets a response form you, she'll keep doing it. Once you stop doing anything, she will quiet down. Take her out to potty on a leash, so she doesn't have the chance to run around, then right back to the crate. If she doesn't potty, then stop taking her out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts