Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past year my sweet old Cinder has had on and off bouts of diarrhea. At this point, I would call it chronic. We've worked with our vet, last year had an x-ray of her abdomen, and now we are working on a very bland home made diet. We were doing okay, then I added small amounts of cooked turkey and for 2 days now she has had violent diarrhea. :(
I came home today to a mess on the rug. I followed her outside and she still had it along with blood. This is killing me. I called another Vet - the one who did my Rhumba's OFA xrays because my vet does not have a ultrasound machine. My vet suggested getting one since it would get a better look at the organs than an xray.
So we take her into the new doc next Tuesday at 9:30 am. That is going to feel like forever. I don't know what else to do for my little girl at this point. :(
I understand that blood work won't show cancer, but the ultrasound might. But I may run her blood AGAIN - any thoughts or suggestions other than the normal stuff what to ask them to run her blood for?
Cinder takes prednisolone and soloxine so we run routine blood panels already.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Oh, I am so sorry to hear she has been ill. I hope that the tests help to diagnose her and that she is stable again real soon.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Brodie was anemic due to his cancer but the US really showed where the cancer was in his spleen. I hope all goes well for you.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Poor Cinder. :( I know she must feel terrible.

When Spud had his horrible, horrible bout with IBD, we gave him only pumpkin and rice.....and just enough to keep him from starving. That was the only thing that even came close to keeping the diarrhea under control. Then finally that didn't even help any longer.

I hope you can get the problem diagnosed and get her on a treatment soon. Sweet girl.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Poor baby, she must feel just awful! Sending good thoughts your way.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Oh turkey can be a really bad thing for dogs.

Has she been checked for pancreatitis?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just checked the symptoms of pancreatitis and she does not have any other symptoms, but that is how Cinder rolls...so won't hurt to still check since she will be getting the u/s anyway.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I hope Cinder feels better soon. One of the dogs I board has the same kinda thing, for at least a year now. That one lives on white rice and ground turkey. I'll pass some of these suggestions on to her.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts