Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to take them all home, but I can't.

There is this ADORABLE beagle/cattle dog mix who I absolutely adore. The foster has had her since she was 7 weeks old and she's now over 3 years old. :( She's such a good dog and is sooo gentle. I have no idea how she was never adopted.

And there's a coonhound mix who I want to steal, too. He's not even a year old and he's the goofiest dog I've ever met. His legs are too long for him so he walks really funny. :D

Then as I was leaving, I saw some idiot driving a truck with a black Lab tied up in the back... :mad: If he wasn't driving so fast through the parking lot I would have stopped him. Idiots!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
it is sad, especially with the economy and so many having to make the hard decision of whether they can keep their pets or not :(

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
thats why so many people burn out so dramatically

they appreicate the love you can give - don't beat yourself up because you can't take them all focus on the good you do do :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I couldn't.. i'm a foster failure as it is.. i'd have 45 dogs if i volunteered.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
You are a wonderful and kind person Justine to assist so many dogs in need (hugs) the world needs more people like you!

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I couldn't do it. It breaks my heart. I went to the Humane Society once... I now just write them a check. If I did rescue I would end up divorced because I would want to bring them all home. I have to have another baby to get a second dog. That's the deal.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
You're a braver person than me Justine. I couldn't handle it. :( You & the others that do it deserve a medal for what you do.

When Joe died, I spent a lot of time on the SPCA & Humane Society sites looking for another dog to adopt because there were no Lab pups around at the time. I finally got Holly through my vet. Just looking at the photos & seeing those pathetic faces rips your heart out. :(

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The ones in foster or a no-kill shelter are the lucky ones. At least they have a chance.
I know what you mean. This particular rescue goes to all of the kill shelter and gets all of the dogs that are about to be euthanized.

There's a new pug that we just rescued who was about 10 and the family brought him to the human society and said they wanted him to be PTS because he was in such bad shape. He had a tumor in his mouth that had to be removed and you should see the great shape he's in now. Makes me mad. :mad:

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
A HUGE thank-you from me to all of you that do rescue work. I can't imagine a tougher job to volunteer for.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
The ones in foster or a no-kill shelter are the lucky ones. At least they have a chance.
Sad but true. :(

There's a new pug that we just rescued who was about 10 and the family brought him to the human society and said they wanted him to be PTS because he was in such bad shape. He had a tumor in his mouth that had to be removed and you should see the great shape he's in now. Makes me mad. :mad:
Reading that makes my blood boil. How the hell can anyone let a dog get to that stage? I'm willing to bet it was caused by periodontal disease because they never had its teeth cleaned. Am I right? Even if I'm not, surely they must have noticed something was wrong with his mouth? I hope the punks never get another dog again. :mad:

I wish I lived in your town Justine, I'd take the poor little guy myself.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reading that makes my blood boil. How the hell can anyone let a dog get to that stage? I'm willing to bet it was caused by periodontal disease because they never had its teeth cleaned. Am I right? Even if I'm not, surely they must have noticed something was wrong with his mouth? I hope the punks never get another dog again. :mad:
I'm not 100% sure about the nitty gritty details, but I know that he had ~5 teeth removed in addition to the tumor (it was around these teeth).

Some of the dogs that people give up are so sweet.. I just can't imagine how hard it must hurt for the people that actually cared about their dogs. If I ever had to give Abbey up for whatever serious reason, I think that would be worse than having her die or something.. just not knowing what would happen to her. :(

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
If I ever had to give Abbey up for whatever serious reason, I think that would be worse than having her die or something.. just not knowing what would happen to her. :(
That was the positive thing for the people I got Holly (my GSD) from. My vet had already recommended me as a decent home for her. I spoke to the wife on the phone that night & she told me to come & get her tomorrow. Wife was at work but I met her hubby. I took Ronnie (my Pug) with me to see if they would be compatible & within about 5 seconds they were running around the back yard. I invited them both to come around home so they could satisfy themselves she had a good home. They came around the next day & saw the house, dog door & fenced yard she had. When they came, she was curled up on the couch & just wagged her tail a little bit at them. When they left, she didn't even bother getting up to go after them. It took her less than 24 hours to work out where she was better off. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts