Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not really a vitamin. It's a hormone. But we all need it, we all get it from the sun.

But if your levels or below the established levels for health, how do you compensate?

*opens the floor for discussion...*

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Go outside and get some sun...sunlight stimulates vitamin D production. You cannot wear sunscreen though, so give yourself a few minutes a day in the sun. Also, you can get fortified dairy products or find many natural dietary sources.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
In addition to drinking your Vitamin D fortified milk, eat a can of Jack Mackerel for dinner every now and then. It will also help your coat. A harsh coat is normal though, it doesn't need to be too soft.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
nance, have you had bloodwork done to have it checked
vit d deficiency can cause fatigue; if it is very low, your doc might want to supplement to get it up
i just went through this w my doc...i take a d calc and mag supplement doc's rec
sorry about typing ... one finger here

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I started supplementing with D-3 400 IU many months ago before they started talking about it so much. I am very interested in health and stuff like that, so I've usually heard stuff before it becomes popular. I can't drink milk, and most of us dont' really get enough sun anymore, especially in winter, so I decided I should supplement my diet. I only take a tablet, but you could always take more if needed. My gyno said that you needed to take it with calcium to absorb the calcium better. (about the third or fourth thing that I've heard over the years that you need to take with calcium!)

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I've been taking a D supplement for years, along with calcium, magmesium, and zinc, to help absorb the calcium.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Living in Florida, there is no shortage of sunny days. :) I do also take Blue Bonnet Liquid Calcium/Magnesium/Vitamin (1200 mg calcium citrate, 600 mg magnesium and 800 IU Vitamin D3). I just mix it in with my MagmaPlus green drink every day.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
mine was low the last few times i had bloodwork done. i spend plenty of time in the sun so i don't understand. i have to take an OTC multi-vitamin with (can't remember the amount)of vit D in it. they check my levels every 6 months.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I have always taken a D supplement daily in winter aside from my multi. So do the kiddos. =) We are outside a lot, but our winters can be pretty gray.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Hmm, now I'm wondering if my cod liver oil daily is enough, or even the right kind of vitamin D....

But I always take it - I remember being forced to down it as a wee child too.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have just been diagnosed with low D levels and have been prescribed 50,000 units a week for 8 weeks! (4 weeks to go) Then I have to go on 1,000 units a day with regular checkups.

I am outside a lot but according to what I read, people living above the line from drawn Atlanta to California do not get enough sun during the winter and I live in Delaware.

I can vouch for the fatigue. I never seemed to get enough sleep/rest and could go back to sleep an hour after waking. I was never able to keep going like I could when younger but since starting the prescription I feel a lot better. I sleep better, have more energy and can stay awake! All day!

God, I miss those naps.

I also gave up smoking around the same time and that is helping too! I always forget to take my vitamins but this I have remembered, one pill a week, every Sunday morning.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I have just been diagnosed with low D levels and have been prescribed 50,000 units a week for 8 weeks! (4 weeks to go) Then I have to go on 1,000 units a day with regular checkups.

I am outside a lot but according to what I read, people living above the line from drawn Atlanta to California do not get enough sun during the winter and I live in Delaware.

I can vouch for the fatigue. I never seemed to get enough sleep/rest and could go back to sleep an hour after waking. I was never able to keep going like I could when younger but since starting the prescription I feel a lot better. I sleep better, have more energy and can stay awake! All day!

God, I miss those naps.

I also gave up smoking around the same time and that is helping too! I always forget to take my vitamins but this I have remembered, one pill a week, every Sunday morning.
Good for you! Quitting smoking is a tough thing to do. Glad to hear you are feeling a difference :)

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Nance - there was just a short piece on WJR (Detroit Radio Station) on D - Said newest research is to take 400 IU from 51 to 70 years of age for women - and to go to 600IU once you reach 70. Additionally, take with calcium carbonate or calcium citrate to aid in absorbtion - as a rule of thumb, take between 1400 and 1600 mg daily. That's as much as my pea brain could remember to type for you!

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nance - there was just a short piece on WJR (Detroit Radio Station) on D - Said newest research is to take 400 IU from 51 to 70 years of age for women - and to go to 600IU once you reach 70. Additionally, take with calcium carbonate or calcium citrate to aid in absorbtion - as a rule of thumb, take between 1400 and 1600 mg daily. That's as much as my pea brain could remember to type for you!
That's what I picked up from Walgreen's yesterday, without the calcium. About $8.00 for 250 caplets. Doc wanted to write me a script for Vitamin D! A new thing from the ever-so-user-friendly pharmaceutical companies. I passed on that. :)

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
No, you are absolutely right! You can get D3 from other dietary sources though. Sunlight is the BEST way however, and you only a need a few mins a day :D

Also thought I might point out, that even by increasing your blood levels of D2, you will have a direct effect on the production of 1,25-D levels, which is the active hormone. So while you should still get adequate levels of D3, D2 if sufficient for the more systemic effects of vitamin D.

Nick, Mackerel sounds nasty, but it is so true! Other natural dietary sources of vitamin D are Tuna, salmon, catfish, and sardines. I would suggest trying to increase your bodies natural production as well as increasing your consumption of natural sources since supplements are not regulated by the FDA and we don't really know the purity or quality of the supplements. Of course, in the meantime, they should suffice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts