Just Labradors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Re: Virginia Tech killer Seung-Hui Cho was "mentally ill" and an "imminent danger to

the news stated that some of his classmates were afraid of him because he had written some pretty vulgar and violent screenplans while taking his english classes. the news went and ripped the gun sales guy a new arsehole because he sold guns to the kid but the guy recantered and said that he did everything legally including the background check and standard waiting period so it was not his fault. i see many lawsuits coming against the college for not doing a full lockdown until the suspect was caught. no matter where he was on or off campus.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Re: Virginia Tech killer Seung-Hui Cho was "mentally ill" and an "imminent danger to

2labsmom said:
i see many lawsuits coming against the college for not doing a full lockdown until the suspect was caught. no matter where he was on or off campus.
The authorities had someone in custody after the dorm shootings at Ambler-Johnston. They though that the perpetrator had be caught. Why would they lock down campus with someone in custody?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts

our news didn't state that part, about having someone in custody. our news in cleveland stated that they reopened the campus because they thought the shooter had gone off campus and that everything was secure. i didn't mean to sound naive. sorry. :)

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Re: Virginia Tech killer Seung-Hui Cho was "mentally ill" and an "imminent dange

Momma to J and A said:
2labsmom said:
i see many lawsuits coming against the college for not doing a full lockdown until the suspect was caught. no matter where he was on or off campus.
The authorities had someone in custody after the dorm shootings at Ambler-Johnston. They though that the perpetrator had be caught. Why would they lock down campus with someone in custody?
When there was a shooting there in August, they closed the campus for the entire day. I don't think that involved the students at all. I could be wrong. It does seem odd to me that there wasn't a lockdown or classes cancelled.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts

Aim said:
Momma to J and A said:
2labsmom said:

When there was a shooting there in August, they closed the campus for the entire day. I don't think that involved the students at all. I could be wrong. It does seem odd to me that there wasn't a lockdown or classes cancelled.
The shooting in August was due to a manhunt for an escaped prisoner who killed a hospital guard and a police officer near campus. Of course, with an escaped prisoner, one would lock down the school. This time, it was believed to be a domestic dispute, with the perpetrator in custody.

I am not trying to be defensive, but there is a lot to this story that is not being mentioned.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts

There is NO way they could have locked down an entire school. Like Jenn said, they thought they had the situation under control...plus it was already too late to head off the morning commute to campus. Most campuses have many entry points...not one main drag. There is no way that police could sit at every road to the campus and turn people away...especically since many had already arrived for morning classes.

Sorry, but being an administrator at a university almost the size of VT, there is not much that could have predicted or prevented this from happening. Everyone did what they could with what information they had. No one should be fired (president and campus police chief), and no one was slow to respond.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts

I was wondering if other Universities had lock down plan in place. A incident happened at a College here and they locked it down for the day. A body was found they thought possible homicide. It turned out that it was a suicide. Many difference in the situation I was just curious if they went by a disaster plan. I hope no job is in jeopardy for this, they made the decision that no one wants to make ,unfair to second guess them now.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Re: Virginia Tech killer Seung-Hui Cho was "mentally ill" and an "imminent dange

1scottie1labby said:
I was wondering if other Universities had lock down plan in place.
My university (even larger than VT) cannot be locked down, as it is an urban campus in the middle of a medium-sized city. However, we do have an emergency broadcast system, including a huge air-raid siren. They test it once a month. I have to say that I cannot make out a word they are saying, nor can anyone else I know. The message always sounds like the teachers in the "Peanuts" TV specials. :-\

·
Registered
12,928 Posts

Why don't colleges have "intercom/loud speakers" throughout, the way high schools, etc. do? I realize there are a lot of different buildings to consider, but looks like it's something they could look into "wiring" for just for instances such as this. There has to be a better system other than email/cell phones going forward in the future.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts

VT is a public university, yes? Sovereign immunity may shield...depends on Virginia law. I haven't really heard them talk about it.

If not, you can bet they'll be sued. I'm not sure that they really did anything that was just shockingly wrong. I mean, it did look like a garden-variety domestic dispute gone wrong until he went psycho a few hours later. How many times in the news do we hear about man killing wife and then himself (which was an original possibility until they figured out it was the RA) and that's it. Rarely does it go any further. I suppose they could've alerted the campus community much faster than they did.

The university I attended was larger (population wise, smaller area wise) and there's no way you could shut it down. For one, it had a major hospital on its campus and secondly it is accessible from so many points. Even if they locked down their buildings, the kid was a student. He likely had access to those buildings anyways. I'm just not sure what more they could've done (at least looking at it from their shoes after the first shooting).

When you're talking about schools like Virginia Tech or the one I went to or a number of universities that have student, faculty and staff populations from 20,000-40,000 people, it's like trying to shut down an entire city. It's just not possible.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts

Definitely a truly disturbed individual who probably needed help a long, long time ago.

Did I read this his sister graduated from Princeton?

·
Registered
6,788 Posts

Momma to J and A said:
Aim said:
Momma to J and A said:
2labsmom said:

The shooting in August was due to a manhunt for an escaped prisoner who killed a hospital guard and a police officer near campus. Of course, with an escaped prisoner, one would lock down the school. This time, it was believed to be a domestic dispute, with the perpetrator in custody.

I am not trying to be defensive, but there is a lot to this story that is not being mentioned.
Ok. That makes sense. I hadn't thought of it that way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts