Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a bit frustrated with my vet office and wonder if I am just being over eager for info or over reacting.

Here is my story.

Issue #1

When I take me dog into the vet for a checkup appointment we first get seen by the vet tech. She weighs the dog, asks me why we are there and then she goes back into the back workroom and tells the vet what I have said.
Then the vet comes in, informed as to the problems and does the exam. I am fine with all this so far.

Then the vet will say, "we will take the dog into the back to do "whatever" they are checking. I am still fine with all this.

Then, the vet dissappears into the back and you never see him again. The vet tech comes out to tell you what the diagnosis was found and what they want you to do. Also, if you forget to tell the vet something else that you just remembered about the dog, forget it. The vet is not coming back out again at that time.

Issue #2

If my dog requires surgery, I arrive on the day to drop off the dog. The receptionist or vet tech takes the dog in and I sign the forms. Surgery is done and the vet tech calls me to say the operation is over and when to come at the agreed time to pick up the dog. I am still ok so far.

When I arrive to pick up the dog, I am interested to know how things went, if they got what they thought they were looking for, or if it was what they thought. The vet is there but he doesn't come out. The vet tech will just give you the dog. If I ask her how it went she either says well you will have to wait for the results or say that she wasn;t there when the surgery was done.

My frustration is that 99% of the time the vet is just in the back and can't he take 2 minutes to come out to tell me. He will even come out to go into his office at the side and just walk by without looking at who's in the office waiting. Or the vet will leave just before dogs are to be picked up from their surgery times.

Meanwhile, I am curious as to the outcome.

So, am I being just too fussy or not?? Does your vet come out after a surgery to let you know how things went, what to expect over the next couple of days or what??

Thanks for letting me vent!!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I would not be comfortable with that either... I HAD a vet like that...needless to say we were not clients there very long

·
Registered
533 Posts
just like with dr's, you are going to have some that have good 'bed side' manners, and some that don't.

From the sound of it, your's sucks. And i would switch personally. Hopefully more people switch and they get the hint as to why.

My vet is great, she even calls me personally the day after office visits, to followup and see how Chuy is feeling.

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
This is not acceptable. Find another vet.

My vet always takes time to explain things to me. He even calls home to tell me test results etc. Talks to me in person after surgery.

I've had a few other vets that I wasn't comfortable with and/or I didn't trust. I'm so glad I've found this vet practice. (I have two great vets there) :)

You have to feel comfortable with your vet. It's really important. Is this the only practice in your area or is it possible for you to get another vet?

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I would not like that way of doing things either. Upon sign in when you arrive, you tell them why you are there and then when it is time to go back, the vet him/herself comes and calls you back to the exam room. I think it would shock any of them if you did not want to be in there with your pet while they do the exam. The vet explains what they are doing and why. The vet techs at the clinic I go to take the dog out if he needs to potty, be weighed and stuff like that. The only time the vets there are out of the examination room is when they are filling the prescriptions, getting the tests results back, that kind of thing.

Just like when we go to the Dr., then the vet comes and explains how to give the meds, what to watch for, diagnosis, what you need to do at home...and they give instructions after surgery on what care you need to give then as well.

I echo what the others have said. I would find another vet.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a new vet in the clinic and she is very nice. I had her once and she did do more one on one with us but my regular vet is the owner. So, chances are even if I request the new vet I am going to come into some contact with the owner vet too.

I don't mean to also bring in the money topic of this but I have spent $$$$ of money at this clinic on my two dogs now and others over the years and I feel that for the big money one spends there the least they could do is acknowldge you and your concerns after that first visit in the exam room.

I did mention it a few years ago to the office manager and she said that he gets so involved in pets health that that is why he is like this. Well, then, why if I wanted to ask something that I forgot to ask is her too busy to come back out just a few minutes after he was just with me or my dog.

Thanks again for letting me vent.

I will look around to see what and where other vet clinics are. I will try to see if I can get a referral from someone else.

One of the reasons that I stay there is because my young lab has had a lot of surgery there and I figured that the vet did good surgery and did well with whatever type of anesetic they used. So, that is why I stayed but I must admit, I am getting frustrated with his bed side manner.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Nobody takes my dog in the back room. If they can't do whatever in front of me, then it doesn't get done. I hold my dogs during blood draws.

Remember someone always has to graduate at the bottom of their class.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Another thing that just occured to me...have you ever spoken to this vet himself about this? A tactful conversation along those lines might just do the trick. Could be worth a try.

S

·
0 Posts
Ask to accompany your dog to the back next time for procedures. And when the vet tech says "well, I wasn't there for the procedure/surgery so I can't answer your questions, you'll have to wait for the results" then ask to speak to the vet, ask that the vet call with the results since he was the one who was there when the surgery was done.

I understand what you mean, you feel your pets have gotten good results with surgeries etc. But this is important, you being in the loop about what's going on. It's not unreasonable to want to speak to your vet personally. Your not asking for too much, I don't think so.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
I would find another vet. #1. My dog does not leave me or my sight for an examination or treatment (except surgery). #2 Any procedure that is performed is explained to me in person by the vet. #3The vet talks to me after surgery, or any procedure, not a vet tech, not that I am trying to belittle the vet techs but the vet is the Doctor. #4 What they charge for my pet care, I want good bedside manners. My vet says that when treating the animal you are also treating and supporting the parent. They are so wonderful there, I wouldn't go any where else. When my Doodle dog died, the vet who broke the news hugged me while I cried, the vet techs and office staff each gave me their condolences and the other vet on duty came over and hugged me also. That is what is great about my vets. :)

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
I am also always present in the room during Zoe's vet visits. The only times I am not there were when they needed to take her to the xray room.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
That would definitely bother me.

My vet will sit there for two hours and talk to you if that's what you want him to do. He takes the time to get to know all of the animals that come to his practice and even the humans. If he personally can't talk to you he will call or one of his partners will come out and talk.

If you want to go in the back while they draw blood or trim nails you are more then welcome to, and if possible he prefers to have you help instead of a vet tech which I always like because I know my girls will sit still better while hold them instead of a stranger even though they love the girls (human girls that is) at the office.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
The number one job of the vet is not treating the animal- it's communicating with the owner. If the owner does not understand the need for treatment and the treatment plan, the animal will not get the care it needs and will suffer as a result.

Get a new vet.

No one takes my dog in the back unless its for a surgery/xray.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Maybe you have a good vet, but this is just their way of doing things.

With our vet, the tech takes us in, weighs him, asks for info. She leaves, tells the vet. When the vet comes in, she does everything right there in the room; any tests that are run (looking under a microscope, etc.), they go to the back workroom to run them. But the vet always comes back in to talk to me.

Only surgery he's had was neutering...on that day, I gave him to the vet tech, who took him. But later in the day, the vet called to talk to me and let me know everything was fine, when I could come get him, etc.

My vet even called me on a Sunday when she just happened to be in the clinic, to discuss his neutering (before it was done).

I like the way they do things...if I ever leave a message for her, she calls me back herself.

Our vet techs and vet makes a big fuss over him, and get down on the floor and play with him during visits...I really like that about them.

When I just stop in for Heartguard/Frontline (like I did this morning), they always ask, How's Tucker doin'?

·
Registered
40 Posts
We HAD been going to the same vet for 25 years. Recently my wife had to take our Lab in for her annual. I usually take our Lab to the vet, but I was out of town, so my wife took her in. Although Chelsea does have a "mouth" problem, she quiets down when told to. Another woman waiting with her "ankle biter" complained to the receptionist that our dog was bothering her dog. The receptionist told my wife to wait outside because our dog was bothering the other dog. Needless to say, we have a new vet.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh my gosh! :eek: Sounds like some human doctors I have seen. ::)

There is no way on earth I would put up with this. I do not think you are being too fussy...I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect to be updated by the doctor after surgery, and I also think the whole "we'll take the dog in the back and do whatever" stinks big time.

The emergency clinic would not allow me to go with Crash when they took him back for x-rays. I heard him yelp while he was back there. :'( He came out all waggy, but I hated him being in another room and being upset and afraid.

Our vet tech checks us in and weighs us and takes note of our problem, but then the doc comes in and takes it from there. They have allowed me to be present for EVERYTHING. Even when Angus had surgery for an intestinal blockage, they allowed me to go into the surgery room where he was being prepped to comfort and reassure him before they sedated him. The e-clinic where they watched him overnight also allowed me to take him back to the kennel myself and put him in, to help him know everything was OK.

At that point, I was so uber-protective, they might have realized there was no stopping me from doing this so they didn't try. :p

The doc also always follows up with us after the diagnosis or test and explains things to us. If there is an outstanding test result that will not be in until later, the doctor has very often called me himself. After Angus' surgery, or after the boys have had some troubling illness or diagnosis, the front desk usually calls for several days to check in and see how things are going, if we have any questions, etc.

This is a rather large clinic too, with six or seven vets on staff and around 40 other support staff. So, being a big clinic is no excuse. You can still deliver personal service!

I would switch vets right away! Do you have others you can check out?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Remember someone always has to graduate at the bottom of their class.
SO true. That's one of my frequent thoughts too.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree with everyone else, time for a new vet. The vet techs in the practice I take Grace to don't do any of that...they will help if the dog is difficult and they need additional help holding the dog still for nails or something. The girls at the front desk check you in and ask why you are there. The scale is right in the waiting room and the owner puts the dog on the scale and the girls record the weight. The vet is the only one in the exam room with me and Grace. Doesn't matter what we are there for, he will do a quick physical check (heart, lungs, joints, etc) and he cleans her ears and trims her nails as he is talking with me (BTW, he does not charge for those things....used to cost me $10 bucks to get nails trimmed!). Grace is never out of my sight unless she needs x-rays. Whenever I have called with a question, the girls put the vet on the phone and I am able to speak directly to him. If Gracie is just in for a vaccine or blood draw, we are only charged for the procedure, not an office visit. We just switched to this vet about 1 year and a half ago, but I think he is great! (besides, he has a chocolate lab named Gracie...so I know he has good taste too! :) )

I would not accept that type of treatment from my doctor or my kids pediatrician, and I wouldn't from the vet either. Good luck! It is so important to have a vet that you can talk to and that you trust!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts