Just Labradors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad just called and said he's "having a minor procedure on Monday", so of course I asked what was happening and he's getting a pacemaker. He said he woke up a week ago extremely dizzy and could hardly walk. He went to the ER, and his docs have come to the conclusion that he needs the pacemaker. He has atrial fibrillation, or an irregular heartbeat. He never tells us kids anything regarding his health, so this has me worried and scared. He said it's outpatient, but it just sounds like such a big thing to me. He'll be 72 next month, and has always seemed to be in good health. He's very active and still works a lot (he lives on 6 acres in the country and takes care of it all himself, plus runs a mail order book business - he retired from teaching when he was about 65).

I know there have been others here like Lindsay and Linda (Raian), sorry if I missed anyone else, who have had parents with heart problems recently, and this just really hit home. Any good thoughts for my dad on Monday would be greatly appreciated. Also, is this not really such a big thing? I don't know anyone with a pacemaker.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Aww, I'm sorry to hear it Brenda. My dad doesn't tell us kids anything either, so I can see why you would be worried.

Hoping and praying it's a quick and easy procedure.

G

·
Praying for your dad!!

Here's a positive story about getting a pacemaker. My grandmother had one put in at 95...yes 95 years old...and lived another 10 years! :)

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Oh those dads who never tell you anything unless it's to drop a bomb on you. Mine was like that, too. It tells me they are anxious about whatever the issue is, which makes you more anxious because they are uncharacteristically anxious.

Big hugs for you and best thoughts for your dad coming!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Lots of good thoughts coming your and your Dad's way!

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Good thoughts and prayers for your Dad and your family, Brenda!

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
My thoughts and prayers for your dad. My dad always kept his health issues to himself as well. your dad will do just fine.

I found this online:

Fortunately, having a pacemaker implanted is only a minor surgical procedure. This is not open heart surgery. After a pacemaker is implanted, most people resume their previous lifestyle with little or no limitations.

The procedure is performed with mild sedation and a local anesthetic. Patients are not put to sleep. An 2 inch incision is made parallel to and just below a collar bone. Pacer wires are then inserted into a vein that lies just under the collarbone and advanced through that vein under fluoroscopic guidance into the heart. The other end of the pacer wires are connected to a "generator" that is implanted under the skin beneath the collar bone. This generator is about half an inch deep and one and a half inches wide. The skin is then sutured closed and the patient leaves the hospital later than same day or the following day. Incisional pain is mild and transient and usually responds to Tylenol.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Brenda, sorry to hear about your Dad. I'll be glad to send lots of good thoughts and prayers for your Dad

1 - 16 of 16 Posts