Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:yell: Stupid people piss me off. And now, I just don't know what to do anymore. I figured I'd see what you guys think of the crap that goes on at the kennel/vet clinic I work at.

Ok. I work in a kennel, and there's five of us back there, plus boss lady. The four girls get along just fine, but the one guy that works there is in a league all his own. He lives off drama, at age 33, and it's just not a good situation to work around, to put it lightly. I've worked there for three years now, and we've lost quite a few decent workers because of said boy. One of them even filed a sexual harassment complaint against him with the clinic owner and nothing was followed through with it. (Needless to say, she quit not long after that mess) He's worked there for about five years, and at this point probably thinks he's invincible. He's their golden boy because he's so far up the management's ass, they have blinders on when it comes to dealing with our multiple complaints about him over the years. He's careless with dogs, talks on his cell phone while taking dogs out for walks (which is a big no-no), stops every 10 or so minutes to stop you from doing your work so he can inform you that his daughter has horrid gas, or what his son's poop looks like (Seriously. I could care less.). Granted, we get a lot of seriously undisciplined dogs going through the kennel, but I've seen him give an 8 month old labby pup an excessively hard knee to the chest multiple times because he gets jumpy when he's excited. (Duh. No discipline = crazy hyper pup) Needless to say, that dog now will pee when you go into the run to hook him up for a walk...Hmm, I wonder why. So this complaining leads me up to last week's incidents...

I wasn't there, but I'd believe a coworker I've only known since August over anything that comes out of Golden Boy's (GB) mouth, probably because 75% of it is lies...Unfortunate. Anyways...Last Wednesday, a coworker was literally right infront of the clinic and the tire to her truck decided to fall off. So, her dad and a friend came to put it back on for her. Of course, the truck is sitting on a busy four lane road, and the wheel that needs work is the one facing the next lane of traffic. She goes into work while he fixes it up for her. Then, asshat is on his way in, talking on his cell phone, not paying attention (He just got his license back last month, I believe). Coworker's dad waves his arms in the air so the driver doesn't hit him (he knew it was GB only because of the truck he drives, they've never met). GB flicks him off and pulls into the clinic. The dad walks over to his truck and says something along the lines of "what the hell's your problem". GB proceeds to spit in his face and roll his window up on him. He then throws his door open and hits the dad (twice). When he gets out of the truck (Wearing his work shirt that has the name of the clinic right on it), GB walks up to the dad with his chest all puffed out, trying to instigate a fight (which he's done before to other coworkers, verbally not physically.). From what I understand, the dad leaves and goes back to the truck. All the while, GB goes inside, tell the receptionists to call the police, because he's just been assaulted. He claimed that the dad hit him in the head and put him in a choke hold. (Though, I'm sure there were no marks on his face or neck.) Police come, talk to both men, talk to my coworker, who has been working away in the back through the whole ordeal, and they both get suspended. When the dad was questioned, and they asked about the violence, he said "Was he on the ground? Because he was standing when I left him, and he would have been on the( ground if I hit him." (He's a farmer, he's got the brute force to knock a skinny little worm like GB out for sure.)

I can't get over the fact, that he is a grown man, and yet he carries on such childish behavior, I'm 10 years younger than him, and I would never have the audacity to do that to anyone. That could be because I have a sense of respect too. And GB did not know who this man was...What if it was a customer?!!! That's a good way to lose a lot of business very quickly. GB wants to file (false) charges. Today, I get a call that he indeed has not been fired. I'm outraged. I don't know when the suspension ends, but when it does, I'm now the only person who can work with him (after this incident) besides boss lady, and she doesn't work weekends. I already go home wanting to quit and questioning my will to work there after 90% of my shifts with him. After this incident, I've lost all respect. I work three jobs and don't need the stress of him in my life, but I love working with the dogs. UGH.

So basically, management won't suck it up and fire him. Only because he keeps throwing around the fact that he's going to sue the clinic for sexual discrimination if they fire him. (Even though they've got more than enough complaints on him to get rid of him). So. Here we are. I'm starting to hate my job because of him, but I can't leave the dogs. I always walk the rambunctious labbys or older dogs (to avoid them being pulled around) before he gets to them so I know they'll be taken care of. He's been bitten by at least 5 dogs, sweet dogs at that, while no one else has been bitten by the same dogs...I wonder why. A rat terrier boarded with us for over a month one time. He stomped his foot at the front of this poor old girl's cage everytime she barked (which made her bark more) then he wondered why the dog was scared of him/didn't like him. *******.

I'm going to wrap this up now, I promise. I just don't know what to do. I don't know how to make boss lady and other management see him for what he really is. They see our complaints as us ganging up on him...It's to the point where, as employees, we feel like we can't speak to management about these situations and see something done about them. Ugh. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, and congrats if you made it all the way through this thing! :)

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Why don't you take what you just wrote and give it to boss lady? Is she approachable? If she's not, go over her head to the next in line. Tell them you would quit too because of him but don't feel the animals are safe around him. Surely, someone there will listen.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
You don't want to lose your job as I read your story. So that is my assumption.

(1) Clear the emotion out of your head. Hard, but you need to do it.
(2) Write down what has happened relative to harrassment by this individual. Harrassment of people, not animals. Although sad, it has to be kept separate. This has to be harrassment of yourself, or harrassment that you have witnessed first hand. Dates, times, and others present is good.
(3) Get some of the others to do the same.
(4) Find the local office, or nearest office of the EEOC and file the complaint, including lack of support or action by the employer.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I worked there over the summer, too. That's how Amanda and I met. :) Her story doesn't even begin to explain how much of a jerk this guy is. Luckily I had found a job working in a clinic by the time summer was winding down, but even in the few months I worked there, I couldn't stand working with him.

He follows you around, telling you nonsense stories about this or that, which prevent you from doing work. He gossips more than girls in middle school and always asks what other people say about him. Ugh. He acts like a teenager and he really just needs to grow up and get a real job. :mad: I feel so bad for the dogs he comes in contact with.. it's not fair for them to be treated that way.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
I agree with HK's dad. Get your information down, get yourself to the EEOC. Believe me, it will get handled with them.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Amanda - First, I am sorry you have to work with this guy but here are a couple of ideas.
1. Video tape him harassing or being rough/hurtful with the dogs.
2. Start a journal and write everything down, daily, without emotion. Just the facts.
3. You can contact the ASPCA in your area if the management will do nothing about his behavior with the dogs.
4. If you have evidence and facts to back up a harassment case for you or one of the other girls then take it to the EEOC nearest you and explain to them that the employer was non-responsive to your original complaints.
5. Try to avoid being alone with him at all - that creates a he said/she said problem. If several of you witness the same bad behavior and document it - that is a plus.

Just keep documenting as much as possible and have the other girls do the same. If you make it "hot" enough for him at work, HE will find another job and you problem (at least this one) will be over and the dogs will be safe. Just my opinion and advice. Good luck. p.s. Don't hit him - he is not worth it at all.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
2. Start a journal and write everything down, daily, without emotion. Just the facts.
These were going to be my suggestions as well. You really need to document everything - date, time and who was present. Sorry you are having to deal with this.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Amanda - First, I am sorry you have to work with this guy but here are a couple of ideas.

Just keep documenting as much as possible and have the other girls do the same. If you make it "hot" enough for him at work, HE will find another job and you problem (at least this one) will be over and the dogs will be safe. Just my opinion and advice. Good luck. p.s. Don't hit him - he is not worth it at all.
I'll third this. When I had trouble at work, this was the advice I was given from my brother's lawyer friend. Document, document, document.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your advice. Boss lady isn't terribly approachable, I mean, when she has something to say to you/the whole staff, you get a note in your mailbox, or a general note in the back. She avoids confrontation to a sickening degree.

Ed, what's the EEOC? The thing is too, we have a folder started on complaints with dates, times, etc...And nothing has been done yet. I will definitely start recording every little thing from now on and add it to our stash of stuff from the past year or so.

Barb, thanks. I try not to be alone with him, but if we're the only two working, it's bound to happen eventually (unfortunately). I'm the only one who hasn't had open issues with him because I ignore the pettiness and the drama the best I can. Then I come home and ***** about it (I feel bad for my roommate sometimes :)) I have a feeling that no matter how "hot" it gets for him around there, he won't go willingly. He'll keep throwing around the potential for a lawsuit to keep himself in the game. As much as I want to hit him, I'm not going to let him get the best of me at work...It's not worth losing my job over that idiot.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
You have received great advice.........it will be a PITB but I hope you get it done and get GB the heck out of there. He needs to be fired and it needs to be on his records......hopefully keeping him away for future defenseless animals. Best of luck to you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts