Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Mercedes is almost 5 yrs old and as of lately she seems to be really attached to me 24/7,,I love dearly but I almost step on her because she stays to close to me..like when i am cooking or doing dishes she is lying down right at my heels...had a check up when i got her rabies booster last month and she checked out fine.I am a widow so we are the only ones is the house. She was always a very hyper dog from day one and still is. When I have company over she has to always have something in her mouth and carries it around the whole time they are here. When I leave to do errands, etc she goes right to her crate and goes to sleep..when I return sometime she greets me and then goes back in the crate to sleep again!!! eats good , bowel and pee normal..what can be the problem if there is one? I love her to be by me but just worry that something is wrong and not being addressed.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I'm not sure i see the problem.. underfoot, happy, eats, poops, sleeps.. yep.. you have a lab =)

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Since her eating, pottying, etc. is normal I don't think I would be worried. Has something changed with you recently? Are you home more (or less)? Did you recently return from a trip? If those things have stayed consistent, then maybe she is just mellowing a little as she gets older.

I have a 16 month old velco dog. He follows me everywhere except the bathroom (where he lays outside the door until I come out).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I am relieved i just have a normal lab...she is my first one....i was just concerned about her having a health problem. thank you

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Since she's not a puppy this is not a real problem - but I've found if they're not velcro'd to me it means they're off getting into something they shouldn't be.....

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Aren´t all labs like that? My Brownie used to be like that, lying right beside me. If I moved two steps, she moved two steps also. Homer is just the way you describe your dog also. He´s always lying besides me. As long as they don´t start having separation anxiety (which poor Brownie did develop after my other dogs passed away) then I say it´s just normal lab behavior.

They are lap dogs! or at least that´s what they think

·
Registered
601 Posts
Since she's not a puppy this is not a real problem - but I've found if they're not velcro'd to me it means they're off getting into something they shouldn't be.....
MOST DEFINATELY.

All three of mine are velcro...try pottying with THREE in a small bathroom. :D

Just a lab thing...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
So true.. the instant i can walk a clear path from the living room to the kitchen, i know something is wrong and someone is gonna get in trouble.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
They are lap dogs! or at least that´s what they think
My boy was the ultimate lap dog. He'd always be laying on top of me while I was watching tv or sleeping on top of me on the bed. Try moving in your sleep & you can't because you have a 35kg dog laying on top of you. :D

I used to think he thought he was a lapdog because he was brought up in a house with small dogs until I found this site. :D

·
Registered
601 Posts
My boy was the ultimate lap dog. He'd always be laying on top of me while I was watching tv or sleeping on top of me on the bed. Try moving in your sleep & you can't because you have a 35kg dog laying on top of you. :D

I used to think he thought he was a lapdog because he was brought up in a house with small dogs until I found this site. :D

Try moving in your sleep with THREE Garth. ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Labs usually calm down around 3 or 4 years of age....maybe she is in her calming down stage.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Labs usually calm down around 3 or 4 years of age....maybe she is in her calming down stage.
Could you tell Happy and Lucky that for me?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Like i said this is my first lab.got her after I was widowed 4yrs and the dog my late husband and I had passed on..I was62 at the time and a lot of people told me they were a lot to handle...i did it and love her like my own child. That is why I was worried that something might be wrong...a vet told me a long while back with one of our dogs who was following all the time that when their hearing or eyes go bad , they look to you for direction..so that was making me a bit anxious about my girl....so now ,come Mercedes follow on for many years to come!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts