Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious as we are currently looking at getting a new vehicle. What percentage would one expect to have the sticker price reduced by? By sticker price I mean the manufacturer's suggested retail price. We were actually hoping to find something a few years old in good condition, but glancing at the new ones and wondering what the actual cost should be. Our current vehicle is really old, so it's been quite some time since we even looked at vehicle prices. Everything seems so expensive. TIA

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Do not know where you are. A lot of dealers here are putting their own price on the windows and claim it is take it or leave it. I don't go there.

A lot depends on what you are looking for. i.e. a Prius still commands a premium here and the issue is how much can they add to the sticker price. A Dodge Durango, you can shoot for 10% off sticker. Actually, that would be my target. If I don't get it, I walk out.

You can also do an online search for a car price. Find out whatyou can get your dream vehicle for on line and then hit your local dealers for that price or better.

I demonstrated the technique when my son was going to buy his first new car. First thing he learned is that it takes more than 15 minutes to buy a car even when you know exactly what you want. After an hour and a half trying to negotiate with a salesman, and his manager, I told my son we were done there and would find someplace else where we could get a better deal. My son was shocked and not ready to leave. I told him that if he wanted to pay $1500 more here, than i could get the car for him elsewhere, why not just come with me and then he could give me the $1500. He got up to follow me. Before we got to the door, the price dropped the additional $1500 and he bought the car. Don't be afraid to walk out.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ed. We had read that you could usually expect to pay 10 to 15 percent off the sticker price. That's not the price in the front window, but the MSRP that lists all that the vehicle has on it and various costs for each, right? I'm not a person (nor is SU) that enjoys the whole dickering process unfortunately, but we also don't like (and can't afford) to pay that extra $1500.00 (or whatever) over and above what their bottom line actually is.

We're looking at Ford Escapes; they seem popular, but there are still a good number of 2010's around. Not sure what this means in terms of how much they'll come down in price.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Depends on the model. With Fords I would expect to pay several thousand below invoice. Maybe not as much for an Escape as they are a popular model. Much more for an Explorer (we paid about 10k under invoice for our Explorer). With a Honda, I'd feel good paying 2-4k under. Use Edmunds as your guide.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I paid 6K below sticker on my Toyota when I bought it. I went on Edmonds.com to see how low I can go. They also give you the average price you should pay for the vehicle.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Also check truecar.com for invoice pricing.

Don't even discuss the MSRP with them. Always start from invoice which is pretty much what the dealer paid, give or take. They want to talk MSRP cause then you feel like you're getting a deal at a grand or two under that, when in fact they are still screwing you.

Print everything out and take it with you. They hate to see somebody who's done their research.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked out Edmunds.com and they didn't seem to have a lot positive things to say about the Escapes. The Editor's rating for the Escape was 6.9 and the Consumer rating was 9.2. (out of 10) Quite a difference.

The Editor mentioned it having drum brakes in the rear and disappointing brake performance. Also I think they mentioned the fact that the rear seats aren't adjustable.....other than to put them down for more cargo room. Just all-in-all not an impressive review on the Escapes from them. The consumer side reviews on the whole were much more positive....other than a few issues. One girl had had an issue with the car stalling that they couldn't seem to resolve. Another fellow hated the cloth seats and found them too soft. Someone mentioned they weren't getting as many miles to the gallon as they should be. That type of thing. We haven't really looked around much at anything else. Fords incentives are pretty good right now and we've always had Fords, so kind of natural to look there first. It seems the more things we read the more uncertain we get about what to get!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I've always bought domestic cars and trucks until recently.

I would attempt to negotiate several thousand off MSRP on Domestic vehicles for several reasons;
1) The bailouts to the automakers got some money from me without my consent. It's a matter of principle with me. I want some of it back.
2) Domestic cars sales are hurting and that is an awesome time to really negotiate a lower price. Like previous posters have stated, somebody wants your business.

Imported cars are worth looking into also.

Sidetrack:

I always was a tried and true diehard buy American guy. I bought Ford and GM exclusively and never would have dreamed of an import until a couple of years ago.

GM had some quality issues that were known and not addressed for many years with brakes. Each model year the price of the vehicle would rise yet the same nagging problems stayed the same. The cost of the union labor to build these cars was driving prices..... not R&D,not engineering ,not better quality part sourcing. To be quite honest I was tired of paying wages and benefits to workers making 65K a year for a job that takes 4 weeks to learn. I've supported GM and Ford for 34 years, I can't afford to any longer. Sorry for the personal rant.

Anyways like GGR stated work from invoice not the other way around. Oh and if you get asked about extended warranty cut the price they quote in half and see if they bite. If they do, and you want to take advantage of an extended warranty pay it in cash and negotiate it down even further. Extended warranties are a crap shoot but half price or better pays out if you something goes after the 36 K mark.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Edmunds is not likely to be positive on domestic models in general, but that's the harsh reality of how poor domestics are these days, for the most part. Check consumer reports as well, as it will tell a vehicles history if you buy used (for example, if a 2005 model has a particular problem with something compared to a 2006 model). It's worth paying the online membership just to look if you don't know someone with a membership.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is such a mix of opinions at these different car/truck sites. Some almost all good, some almost all bad. It's a bit the same with consumer opinions. The Escape does seem to be very popular though, so something about it must be appealing to a lot of people.

Question: Does anyone know whether a full size (17 inch) spare tire will fit in the same spot as the compact spare tire that normally comes with the vehicle? TIA

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
There is such a mix of opinions at these different car/truck sites. Some almost all good, some almost all bad. It's a bit the same with consumer opinions. The Escape does seem to be very popular though, so something about it must be appealing to a lot of people.

Question: Does anyone know whether a full size (17 inch) spare tire will fit in the same spot as the compact spare tire that normally comes with the vehicle? TIA
Usually they don't fit. Even in the huge trunk of my crown victoria the doughnut spare just fits,

I think on the escape they have a rear mount spare carrier as an option. I'm not 100% sure though.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Labs4life - No I don't think they have the option of a rear mount on the Escapes. The small size spare tire is located under the back of the vehicle. I just wondered if that tire space would fit a full size 17 inch tire. Thanks though.

Anybody with an Escape know the answer to this question?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Labs4life - No I don't think they have the option of a rear mount on the Escapes. The small size spare tire is located under the back of the vehicle. I just wondered if that tire space would fit a full size 17 inch tire. Thanks though.

Anybody with an Escape know the answer to this question?

Thanks again.
I checked a few after market parts sites and you're right. I couldn't find a tailgate spare carrier for the Escape.

I'm like you I prefer full size spares. I like to rotate the spare when I do tire rotations.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts