Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am quickly running out of meat-less meals for our "veggie days". Some of the recipes I come across online seem a bit weird, or just sound tasteless. Any recs on tried & true family-friendly veggie or vegan suppers & lunches? The family is getting bored with my meal-recycling, lol. I have been aiming for 3 meatless meals a week, red meat once a week, and the rest chicken or seafood, but I need more yummy recipes.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts

·
Registered
21,292 Posts
Saw one last night that I fancy trying !

Grated carrots with chopped coriander fritters bound with an egg ( or two ) and with grated parmesan for flavour all shallow fried !

Ingredients

a good handful carrots, about 6, trimmed and washed
3-4 spring onions, both green and white parts, sliced
a good handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped, plus extra to serve
2 large free-range eggs, beaten
1 tbsp or so plain flour
1 handful freshly grated parmesan cheese
a few glugs double cream
salt and freshly ground black pepper
a few good glugs fruity olive oil

This is a Dig In recipe.
Method

Grate the carrots in a food processor, then place into a large bowl with the spring onions and as much coriander as you like.

Add in the eggs and the flour to bind everything together, followed by the parmesan cheese (it will melt and again will help to hold the fritter together) and, for a touch of luxury, some cream and stir well, seasoning to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Just before you fry it's worth just squeezing some of the mixture together in your hands to ensure it won't fall apart when cooking. If you think it will, just add either a little more beaten egg or flour, only just enough to stick them together.

Heat a large frying pan, add in the oil and form the mixture into thin fritters, so they will cook quickly. Fry for 4-6 minutes until golden-brown on both sides. Remember the golden rule of frying - don't play with the food too much, let the fritters form a crust before you turn them over. Serve straightaway scattered with more coriander.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Burritos with creative fillings
Potato dishes
Stuffed cabbage leaves
Lentil Soup with cornbread
Leek Pie
Falafel
Portabella mushroom burgers
Pasta Carbonara without the bacon
Lentil Salad

You probably have exhausted this list Theresa

I have a Greek Vegetarian cookbook I picked up years ago that is a tried and true friend when I am out of ideas. Lots of variations using rice, beans, eggplant, artichokes, eggs, potatoes....

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
These are meatless, but not sure if they are worthy of nutritionally what you are looking for...we aren't vegetarians, but these are a few recipes I do meatless...all the notes are for a cookbook for my DD, so please disregard the remedial direction.

Orzo with Everything
1 1/2 C. Orzo (10 oz.)
2/3 C. packed sun dried tomatoes, chopped
5 T. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 C. balsamic vinegar
3/4 C. (packed) chopped pitted Kalamata olives
3/4 C. pine nuts, toasted
3/4 C. freshly grated Parmesan
2 large garlic cloves, minced

Cook orzo al dente in salted water.
Drain well.
Transfer to large bowl.
Immediately add tomatoes, oil, vinegar and olives and toss to blend.
Let stand until cool. (Can prepare this part 6 hours ahead--cover and refrigerate and bring back to room temperature)
Mix pine nuts, chopped basil, Parmesan and garlic into orzo. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Penne w/Chicken, Roasted Red-Pepper Pesto & Olives from Food & Wine
Make this one w/out the chicken...the red pepper pesto is a nice flavor

1 12oz jar roasted peppers, drained (NOT marinated)
3/4 cup walnuts
3 gloves garlic, chopped
2 1/2 TBSP. olive oil
1 TBSP chopped fresh sage or 1/2 tsp. dried
1 3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. lemon juice
1/8 tsp. cayenne, optional
1 lb. penne
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/3 lbs in all)
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup black olives such as Nicoise or Kalamata, halved & pitted
1 TBSP. Chopped fresh chives or scallion tops
1 TSBP chopped fresh parsley

1) In a food processor puree the roasted peppers, walnuts, and the garlic with 1 1/2 TBSP olive oil, the sage, 1 tsp salt, lemon juice and the cayenne.
2) In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the pasta until just done.
3) Meanwhile, coat the chicken with the remaining 1 TBSP olive oil. Season w/the black pepper and 1/4 tsp. salt. Heat a grill pan over moderate heat. Cook the chicken for 5 minutes. Turn and cook until browned and just done, about 4 minutes longer. Remove. Cut crosswise into 1/4 in. slices. (Alternatively, heat the oil in a large heavy frying pan. Season, cook and slice the chicken the same way.)
4) Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Drain the pasta. Toss the pasta with 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water, the pesto, the chicken and any accumulated juices, the remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, the olives and the chives. If the sauce seems too thick, add more of the reserved pasta water. Serve the pasta sprinkled w/parsley.

Mushroom Marsala

1 lb Papparadelle or Fettuccine
¼ cup EVOO
2 lbs cremini mushrooms, sliced
4 cloves garlic, grated
½ cup Marsala wine
1 cup Veggie or chix broth
2 TBSP butter
2/3 cup flat leaf parsley
1 cup grated parm
2 cups baby spinach, coarsely chopped

Cook and drain pasta
Heat EVOO. Add mushrooms and cook until they begin to darken; about 8 mins
Add garlic, season with S&P, and cook for 5 mins
Stir in Marsala and reduce slightly, about 1 min
Stir in broth and cook for 1 more min
Stir in butter until melted; add parsley and toss
Add pasta and cheese to sauce and toss for 1 min; season with S&P
Top with spinach

Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna

Ingredients
·2 8oz pkgs cremini mushrooms
·1 bag chopped spinach (not the box. The box is 10 oz, the bag is more, I think it is 12oz maybe)
·4oz container 4% milk fat, small curd cottage cheese
·4 cups shredded cheese (or 2 bags pre-shredded)
·2 eggs, beaten
·Salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
·1 big slurp dry white wine (maybe it was 1/3 to 1/2 of a cup)
·1 pkg Barilla lasagna noodles
·approx 32 oz sauce (2 cans/jars if buying)

Method
·Thaw spinach. Using a dishtowel, dump spinach into middle of towel, grab all ends of the towel up and wring out the spinach to drain it of all liquid; don’t be surprised how little spinach you have left.
·Chop mushrooms into smallish pieces, they will shrink as cooked
·Add olive oil to a sauté pan
·When oil is hot, add mushrooms and cook until browned. Do not add any seasonings at this point, or the mushrooms will become tough
·When most of liquid is evaporated from the mushrooms and they are browned, break up spinach and add it in to pan with the mushrooms
·Season spinach and mushrooms well with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Both of these vegetables are bland, but are like sponges, so they will pick up any flavors you add…but they need a lot. Add seasonings in small batches and taste after each addition
·Add wine and stir until all “alcohol smell" has evaporated.
·Remove from heat and cool
·Once mixture is cooled, add cottage cheese, shredded cheese, and eggs; mix well
·Cook pasta with a generous amount of salt and olive oil in the water(this is the ONLY time I add EVOO to pasta water is for lasagna)
·When noodles are cooked (about 9 minutes after they come back to a boil), drain them and lay them flat on a cutting board sprayed lightly with Pam
·Spread a generous amount of sauce (maybe 1 to 1 ½ cups) on bottom of 10x15 baking pan
·When noodles are cool enough to handle, spread mushroom mixture generously along noodle leaving 1” at the top (end facing away from you) of the noodle empty.
·Roll noodle lightly away from you towards top making sure no filling spills out the sides
·Place seam side down in sauce in baking pan
·Repeat until all rolls are formed. There is enough filling to do a whole pkg of lasagna noodles (18-20 noodles in each pkg)
·Cover all rolls with remaining sauce
·Cover with foil
·Bake in a 350º oven for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake until bubbly and cheese has melted
·Let set up for 10 minutes or so before serving.

Notes:
·Shredded cheese…I used a combo of 4 cheese Italian blend and cheddar/jack…but with the mushrooms and spinach, I like the bitterness of just the jack and it melts well in the lasagna…your choice.
·Wine…if you drink white wine and have some that’s great. I do not, so I always have a bottle of dry Vermouth in my fridge…it is a perfect substitute for white wine. Make sure NOT to add the wine strait from the bottle to the pan…flare-up can occur and wine can catch on fire through the bottleneck…put in a measure cup to add
·Don’t be afraid to be generous in salting your pasta water…if the pasta has flavor, your whole dish will taste better
·These freezes great after you have rolled them. If you want to freeze, as you roll them, place them on a sheet pan sprayed with Pam, seam side down, not touching. Put in freezer and remove to a Ziploc when they are frozen. Then, you can take out what you need when you want it, or use as a side dish rather than a whole meal, or if only one of you is going to eat them, etc.
·You can make this in a layered style too, but for the kind of party we had at NYE, it is easier to serve individuals. If you were to layer it, instead of mixing the mushroom/spinach mixture with the cheeses and eggs, you would mix the cottage cheese and eggs, and then layer the rest.
·Put sauce on the bottom of the pan, and put a layer of noodles on top, then a layer of spinach mixture, then cottage cheese/egg mixture, then shredded cheese; then a another noodle, sauce, spinach, cottage cheese, shredded cheese. End with sauce over the top.

Cold Sesame Noodles
Tyler Florence
Yield: 4 servings

12 ounces angel hair pasta
3 tablespoons dark sesame oil
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon red chili paste, such as sambal
1 lime, juiced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
6 tablespoons hot water
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
2 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
Fresh chopped cilantro leaves, for garnish

Cook the noodles in large pot of boiling unsalted water over medium heat until barely tender and still firm. Drain immediately and rinse with cold water until cold. Drain the noodles really well and transfer to a wide bowl; toss with the sesame oil so they don't stick together. Chill.
In a blender combine the peanut oil, ginger, garlic, chili paste, lime juice, brown sugar, peanut butter, vinegar, soy sauce, and hot water. Blend. Toss the noodles with the peanut sauce until well coated. Serve at room temperature or chilled; garnish with the sesame seeds, green onions, and cilantro.

notes:
Added about 50% more chili sauce and additional 1/2 – 3/4 Tbs of brown sugar (the lime was pretty big.)

I usually double the sauce – it will keep in the fridge for up to two weeks without becoming a science experiment. The sauce will break down the noodles if left for several hours, so if I don’t think it will all get eaten, I usually serve them separately to combine as needed. Then just store in two separate containers in the fridge.

I also usually add slivers of various veggies that look good – peppers, carrots, haricot vert, snow peas, etc., I will also sometimes add shredded cabbage to up the veggie and fiber quotient

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Molly, what do you stuff them with? When my husband makes stuffed cabbage, it's stuffed with ground sirloin mixed with rice.
How about baby lima beans and brown rice. Cook in tomato juice and sauerkraut.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh yes, K, we love veg chili! It's one of my winter staples. I tried easing off the liquid and wrapping the chilli in tortillas to make 'burritos". I added quinoa & brown rice for bulk too, you would love it! garnish with cheese, and homemade guac.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
a quick and simple one I use here a lot

Penne pasta - cooked of course
Then a can of organic diced tomatoes. I use the delmonte brand that has italian flavoring
chopped up yellow and green squash
can of organic chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans)

-I put mushrooms in mine but you can use olives. it calls for olive but I hate them.

I saute up the squash and olives.
add in the beans and mushrooms
pour in the tomato (I put mine through a blender cuz I don't like chunks)
simmer
Then eat over pasta

I put a little fresh grated parm on mine!!
Be warned the chickpeas will make ya gassy!!

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Greek Vegetarian Cooking: Colorful Dishes from the Eastern SHores of the Mediterranean
by Alkmini Chaitow

It is an old book from 1982, not particularly hip or anything just good basic recipes with not too many hard to find ingredients.. Probably could pick up a copy used on Amazon.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.