Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so excited about planting a vegetable garden this year. Over the weekend, with my brother's help, I put together a raised garden bed but now have no idea what I am supposed to fill it with. I know that I need a mixture of different stuff like manure, compost and sand.

Does anyone know the proper mixture for a vegetable garden?

Missing you, my friend.
Huckle 1/9/1992 - 4/25/2006

D

·
0 Posts
There is actually quite a lot of good into if you google raised bed gardening, soil composition. Here is one site.

http://www.rcgardens.ca/Garden Soil Basics.html

I would start with topsoil, peat moss and composted manure and then mix in some sand or vermiculite to lighten the mixture. If it is a small enough garden then using a balanced potting soil like Miracle Grow works great. I do not grow vegetables amymore, but have a pretty large perennial garden.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
I just ammend my soil with compost and manure each spring. At the end of the growing season, the dead plants get turned into the soils to decompose and add nutrients to the soil. If you go to your local nursery/garden centre, you can get bales of topsoils specifically for vegetables. It's expensive though. You may also be able to buy it by the yard if you have a trailer or pick-up.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
The best book I have ever read on gardening was "square foot gardening" it had everything I needed to on raised vegetable gardens

1 - 5 of 5 Posts