Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we just had a discussion about vacuum cleaners...

My question is how long has your vacuum cleaner lasted you? I mean the non dyson kinds. Like 100-200 dollar range ones.

My Bissel vacuum cleaner just crapped out on me last night FOR NO REASON. There was nothing stuck anywhere or anything. Nothing weird got sucked in. I was happily vacuuming away and suddenly it started to smoke and that was the end of that. GRRRRR
Lasted me only 2.5 years. Is it just me? Or do most vacuum cleaners only last that long?

The vacuum cleaner before this one met a similar fate as well ::) And that one got used even less than this one since I didn't have a dog back then.
 
G

·
I think mine is a hoover too, about 85 bucks and I've had it for about 10 years. It was in storage for about 2 of those years though. It's not a very good vacuum though. If you get the one the next step up you should have a great vacuum that will last quite a while.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,788 Posts
I had my Kenmore for 4years or so.

Before that, I had the Fathom Lightening or something like that and it crapped out after 2years.

But I use my vacuum daily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah the Bissell did a great job too bad it didn't last long! :mad:

I'll definitely take a look at the Hoovers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My problem hasn't been with the vacuums not cleaning well...it's that they don't last longer than 2 years!! arrugghhh! hehe

Well I am noting all the suggestions. Will check them out this weekend.

Thanks guys!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One should not vacuum their carpets?

Is 2-3 times a week of vacuuming one room too much to expect from the vacuum???

Just being curious here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,075 Posts
samson said:
I'm sorry but all you people that use your vacuum daily only have yourselves to blame

LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,573 Posts
i have a bissel turbo but just bought it last year. i had had my hoover for 8 years before it died (run free hoover). i would love to get a dyson but can't see spending that amount of money. my friend had a dyson and loves it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,170 Posts
I've had my Miele for 10 years now. Works as well as the day it was new. I also have my Electrolux at the cottage, runs great and is close to 30 years old.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,373 Posts
Gonna sound like a broken record here, but you need to change your belts often, like every 3 months. The belt stretches out and puts strain on the motor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
kiddsmom said:
Gonna sound like a broken record here, but you need to change your belts often, like every 3 months. The belt stretches out and puts strain on the motor.

Definitely was not aware of this! Thanks. That could definitely be my problem.
 
G

·
Buckyball said:
kiddsmom said:
Gonna sound like a broken record here, but you need to change your belts often, like every 3 months. The belt stretches out and puts strain on the motor.

Definitely was not aware of this! Thanks. That could definitely be my problem.
OK I thought my vacuum was broken. I mean it would not suck up anything. I cleaned all the filters and the hose. Then someone told me about the belt (I had no idea it even exsisted ::)) The belt was off the turny thing so I put it back on and the vacuum worked 100 times better, then last weekend I replaced the belt and it work 500 times better. Check the belt. They are only $2 for a pack of two at Target.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jakeysmom said:
Buckyball said:
kiddsmom said:
Gonna sound like a broken record here, but you need to change your belts often, like every 3 months. The belt stretches out and puts strain on the motor.

Definitely was not aware of this! Thanks. That could definitely be my problem.
OK I thought my vacuum was broken. I mean it would not suck up anything. I cleaned all the filters and the hose. Then someone told me about the belt (I had no idea it even exsisted ::)) The belt was off the turny thing so I put it back on and the vacuum worked 100 times better, then last weekend I replaced the belt and it work 500 times better. Check the belt. They are only $2 for a pack of two at Target.

I am totally going to do that!! I honestly had no clue about this belt issue. It sounds like the likely cause. I really see no reason why this vacuum cleaner should crap out this soon.

Can't wait to get home and fix the machine now!!! ;D ;D

Thanks you too! ;D


Kiddsmom...sorry I didn't use the search function again ;) ;) :laugh:
( I am just joking around with you...don't get upset)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,373 Posts
Buckyball said:
Kiddsmom...sorry I didn't use the search function again ;) ;) :laugh:
( I am just joking around with you...don't get upset)
No problem! :D If it started to smoke, you might have also fried you beater brush. Order a new one, a handful of belts, and you're set. This happened to me years ago, I melted the beater brush attachment thingy. This is when I leaned to replace the belts. Because of the stretched belt, it can cause the beater brush to sort of spin in place and that's why it melted. BTW, I had an old Regina Housekeeper vacuum that lasted 15 years and now I have a hand-me-down Kenmore going on 8 years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
Do ya'll really vacuum every room 2-3 times per week...or just different rooms are vacuumed and you use the vacuum 2-3 times per week?

EEK, I vacuum our family room 2xs per week but the others once a week. My guests rooms once every other week.....no one is in them! SU calls me a neat freak LOL...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice!

I am totally excited now ;D. I so do not want to buy yet another vacuum cleaner.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top