Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a GRIPE.

No offense to anyone that LIKES Nascar as I'm sure there are things that I like that you don't..... but I especially hate it THIS weekend!!!

I live about 30 minutes north of the Talladega track (in a small town not used to much traffic) and it has been nothing but nonstop campers and other out of state traffic all week. Today the traffic will be especially bad. I have to make sure I know when the race ends Sunday so I can be sure I don't DARE leave the house because traffic gets backed up about 50 miles (not exaggerating!)!!!

My fiance owns and operates a dump truck and the job he is on now puts him on the worst road for the Talladega traffic. So he didn't even go to work today!! He would only get two runs instead of the usual four so he just decided to stay home out of it. (He made the decision for safety reasons as well as financial though because all those people driving campers only know how to drive either 20 mph or 70 mph in our 45mph town.)

And if the traffic hassle is not bad enough the local gas stations have gone up 20 cents to celebrate the arrival of all of these out of towners.

Yes, I hate Nascar. :mad:

Ok, I'm done now. ;)

B

·
0 Posts
I love NASCAR and dream of one day going to Dega but I TOTALLLY understand your frustration. These tracks and their traffic control suck big rocks. I've heard Dega is terrible about it too, and being one of the biggest and most popular tracks...OMG.

It took us four hours to get out of the Phoenix track and it's not half as big as Dega. Charlotte was by far the best, it took us 20 minutes. They've got it down to a science.

I'm moving 2.7 miles (yes I counted ;D ) from the entrance of the KS Speedway as of today. The truck race is tomorrow. That will be my dry run for the Cup race in the fall. I'll be right there with you on the traffic nightmare, though I'll be going to the races. I may walk.

I'm sorry you're stuck with this. I can't imagine spending a weekend hostage to the race when you're not going or even a fan.

Oh yea...gas went up 20 cents here too.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
And if the traffic hassle is not bad enough the local gas stations have gone up 20 cents to celebrate the arrival of all of these out of towners.
Consider yourself lucky. Gas here has gone up 40 cents a gallon since Monday morning and for the life of me I can't figure out why. I haven't even heard them try to make an excuse yet either.

We go to the Indianapolis NASCAR race every year. We live here and my husband grew up living in the city and going to the track every year so he knows the ins and outs of how to get there. BUT, they change the traffic patterns EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. It drives me absolutely crazy. It's never the same. They close different roads, different turn lanes, make different ones one way in or out. If they kept it consistent year to year it work a lot better. At least since we know the area, we can keep driving around here and there until we find a better way out - people that don't are just stuck.

B

·
0 Posts
KLM said:
Yeah, if you love Nascar you'd like living where I do! :) Plus living around here I usually have connections to get free tickets but still won't go! ;)
Cripes. I'd almost give up my truck for tickets to Talladega. That and Bristol are the two tracks I really want to see before I die. Someday...

B

·
0 Posts
Stock market broke 13,000 sent gas prices up through the roof. Don't ask me the correlation but that's what the traders here are saying.

I filled up yesterday morning at 2.65 before it went up. Moving and running to the new place 3 times, I'm down to half a tank. It's going to be another 40 bucks to fill it back up and I'll have to do that at least 2 more times this weekend. Oil companies are bastards.

·
Registered
557 Posts
BudGirl8 said:
KLM said:
Yeah, if you love Nascar you'd like living where I do! :) Plus living around here I usually have connections to get free tickets but still won't go! ;)
Cripes. I'd almost give up my truck for tickets to Talladega. That and Bristol are the two tracks I really want to see before I die. Someday...
Heard that, me too

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do remember going to the track one time when I was realy little (not to a race) and at that time they let you walk up the side of the track where it is super steep. I got up there and was terrified trying to come down! I don't think they let people do that these days - too much of a liability! ;D

B

·
0 Posts
BrownDog20 said:
BudGirl8 said:
KLM said:
Heard that, me too
Almost had Bristol done last year, decided Phoenix instead because I wanted warm weather for my birthday. Glad I did because it frickin SNOWED! I lived in TN for 3 years and I don't think it snowed that time of year ever. I couldn't believe it. It was 90 degrees when I went to Phoenix. Good times.

KLM said:
I do remember going to the track one time when I was realy little (not to a race) and at that time they let you walk up the side of the track where it is super steep. I got up there and was terrified trying to come down! I don't think they let people do that these days - too much of a liability! ;D
Now that would be fun. I want to drive KS Speedway. They let you do that once a year I think. ;D A free pass to speed all you want. That's all me all the time. heheheheh

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
KLM said:
dang, 40 cents? Sheesh..... whats up with this gas?? ::)
There was an article in the news yesterday about gas prices hitting $4 a gallon this summer, they also talked about the low inventory of oil and the hight demand of driving this Spring. In my persepective THAT little blurb is what caused gas prices to rise overnight.

About 5 years ago NASCAR wanted to build a track in my little town just North of Minneapolis, thank God they did not! Not a big fan of NASCAR, could never understand the concept of going around in circles, but then again I like to play golf and still can not understand the concept of chasing a little ball around a big ass yard.

Hit the liquor store before they run out of beer, those NASCAR fans love to drink.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Almost had Bristol done last year, decided Phoenix instead because I wanted warm weather for my birthday. Glad I did because it frickin SNOWED! I lived in TN for 3 years and I don't think it snowed that time of year ever. I couldn't believe it. It was 90 degrees when I went to Phoenix. Good times.
That's good! I wanna go to bristol so bad, It's like my favorite track ever. especially because its a night race.
Im going to dover in september.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
BrownDog20 said:
BudGirl8 said:
KLM said:

Heard that, me too
oh oh oh me three!!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a coindience on the gas prices rising then I guess then!! Apparently it has gone up drastically everywhere! :-\ $4.00....man I can barely afford it now!! I already limit my driving to stretch a tank out for two weeks!!!

No kidding on the liquor stores, Hunter. I can see the out of state pick ups and SUVS already loaded down with it...along with their grills and lawn chairs ;)

I think that is what most of the locals go to do - just party!!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
KLM , I'm not a NASCAR fan but I did spend a lot of time working in Alexander City, Alabama a few years back. I drove out to the track one weekend for something to do. You live in a pretty part of the world.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
labs4life said:
KLM , I'm not a NASCAR fan but I did spend a lot of time working in Alexander City, Alabama a few years back. I drove out to the track one weekend for something to do. You live in a pretty part of the world.
Thanks :) I think Alabama is SO pretty! We have a wide array of landscapes to enjoy.

I just took these last weekend.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Beautiful country! I spent many weekends touring the country side when I was working at the Russell athletic factories. I met some great friendly people and I got to see the "real" Alabama.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts