Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the NYTimes article today:

....In a report scheduled to be released....(today), the Government Accountability Office found that.... the Labor Department’s Wage and Hour Division, had mishandled 9 of the 10 cases brought by a team of undercover agents posing as aggrieved workers.

In one case, the division failed to investigate a complaint that under-age children in Modesto, Calif., were working during school hours at a meatpacking plant with dangerous machinery, the G.A.O., the nonpartisan auditing arm of Congress, found.

When an undercover agent posing as a dishwasher called four times to complain about not being paid overtime for 19 weeks, the division’s office in Miami failed to return his calls for four months, and when it did, the report said, an official told him it would take 8 to 10 months to begin investigating his case....

For the full article, see http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/25/washington/25wage.html?em

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
i heard some of the actual calls on this morning's news. unbelievable! and then again; not really THAT unbelievable.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
That sucks.

Working for an office that handles complaints, while I sometimes despair at the length of time it takes to investigate complaints but at least our office does investigate stuff and within 180 days.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Don't worry, though. They'll do a better job with your healthcare.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Yah. But what kind of bonuses did those kids get?

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
My first employer made me clock out one time because I was about to go over 40 hours for the week...said he'd clock me in during one day the following week when I wasn't working. Glad I never wasted my time calling the Labo(u)r Department.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
I worked at a restaurant 60+ hrs per week without ever getting overtime.

The owner had 2 restaurants... so when I worked in the office during the day I'd get paid out of one restaurant's payroll... and when I worked at night, waiting tables and cashiering... they paid me out of that restaurant's.

I remember one week I actually worked more than 80 hrs and he was all pissed cause he had to pay me overtime for 0.6 hrs... /rolling eyes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts