Just Labradors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Calli is having another problem. I am going to call the vet and set up an appt. But its not going to be till next week, we are just getting buried with snow here.

I noticed yesterday her bed was wet. Right under her bum. She was sleeping, and had been out no more than 30 minutes before that.

The spot was small, no noticeable odor, so I blew it off, I thought she just licked the bed or something.

Fast foward to today, I layed down and the pups gathered around me, well when we woke up the bed was wet. All the way down to the matress pad.

I wasnt fully sleeping so I know she didnt move or lick, or anything.

So I need to know what to have done. Urine sample seems to be the first thing? What else can I rule out?

If anyone has any experience with this I would love to hear from you. TIA!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
You are headed down the right path. How old is she? Has she been spayed? Urinary incontinence is a possible result of being spayed. Urinating in their sleep without any indication that they are aware what is happening. HK takes a med, DES, twice a week and it solves the problem.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, sorry I shouldve added all that.

She is 19 months. Spayed at 12 m. Has had a few UTI's when she was a pup.

How did you figure out thats what it was? Everything I read says its not easy to detect.

Would it show up this long after being spayed?

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Thanks, sorry I shouldve added all that.

She is 19 months. Spayed at 12 m. Has had a few UTI's when she was a pup.

How did you figure out thats what it was? Everything I read says its not easy to detect.

Would it show up this long after being spayed?
With Hershey Kisses it was several months before the incontenance showed up. A few more weeks before I put two and two together and took her in to see the vet (We had switch vets between the spaying and this came up). Anyway, the vet jumped right on it. They did check for a UTI, but gave me the meds to try out. It took about 10 days for the meds to get into her system and stabilize the incontenance.

PS: HK loves her meds. Might be because the pill is embedded in a glob of PB.:)

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Same thing with Sally. Her incontinence showed up a few months after being spayed. She takes a Proin each day and no problem at all. She started out at 2 a day, but I weaned her down to one.

When she first came down with the incontinence problem, she was on Proin and DES. But we weaned her off the DES and now it's just Proin.

Her symptoms were the same as you've seen. Good luck. It's very frustrating problem.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Tootsie started having accidents in August of last year. I took her to the vet to see if part of her problem was a UTI or if she was becoming incontinent at her age. Her vet gave her antibiotics and wanted her on Proin, I gave her the antibiotics and also 425mg of cranberry capsules without using the proin, to many side effects with Tootsie LP.

When we ran out of crancaps we thought she would be ok but her accidents started up again, we havent ran out of crancaps and Tootsie has been dry since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.