Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rottnlabdad's poll (Do you let your dog(s) poop or pee or walk on other people's lawns?) made me think of another ongoing controversy in our community. This controversy is fought almost entirely by passive-aggressive means involving little notes.

I refer, of course, to people depositing tied-up baggies full of dog crap into other people's trash cans.

In our town the trash gets picked up once a week, on different days depending on what street you live on. By 6 a.m. you need to wheel your city-provided trash can to the curb. Then the trash guys come and dump it, usually tossing your empty container into the middle of the street where it will get run over by an unsuspecting commuter. But I digress.

Apparently a lot of morning dog walkers use this opportunity to toss their dogs' baggies into the trash bins while they're out (and we have so many dogs in our neighborhood that this is probably not an inconsequential number--we usually see at least a dozen other dog walkers on any given morning). Some neighbors have taken to putting little signs on their trash cans saying things like "KEEP YOUR DOG'S POOP OUT OF MY CAN!!!!!!!!!1!" And yet the droppage continues.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, the trash cans belong to the city, not to the individual owners. Second, almost everybody keeps them outside by their garage door. (These are the big municipal cans with wheels--not something you'd keep inside your house.) However, I can understand not wanting somebody else's dog crap stinking up my can during the summer. So I have come up with a rule: If the can is just sitting on the street because it's trash day, I do not put the baggie in the can. However, if you are such a lazy SOB that it's four days after trash day and your can is still sitting on the curb, then all bets are off.

Would it annoy you if somebody else's poop ended up in your trash can?

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I wouldn't mind, and I have been guilty of this . . . but only if the trash hasn't yet been picked up. I wouldn't do it if the trash had already been picked up, and the can was empty. Now, let's talk about the fact that a family at the end of my street puts their trash in my trash can. We have to roll the trash can about 200 yards to the end of our private road, and someone on the main road always puts trash in it. Why should I pay for someone else's trash pick-up? Ok, now I digress . . . forgive my rant!

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I would not mind except that they would have to come up on my doorstep to do it. I'm in a townhouse with curbside county pick up and I keep my trash cans in the bushes by my front door.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wouldn't mind, and I have been guilty of this . . . but only if the trash hasn't yet been picked up.
I do this, too.

Now, let's talk about the fact that a family at the end of my street puts their trash in my trash can. We have to roll the trash can about 200 yards to the end of our private road, and someone on the main road always puts trash in it. Why should I pay for someone else's trash pick-up? Ok, now I digress . . . forgive my rant!
OK, that's really annoying. Also annoying to me is the endless clank of recycling scavengers who go through the recycling ALL. NIGHT. LONG. Far be it from me to discourage the entrepreneurial spirit of little old retired men and and scary meth addicts, but it's extraordinarily tiresome to be woken up multiple times during the night, and then wake up to find a stream of old newspaper blowing down the street because some a-hole untied my carefully tied bundle of papers.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes I would mind...I would have to handle that trash can..putting trash in...wheeling it to and from the street...and I know it has happened to me that I couldn't find something and had the terrible thought "Oh no..did I accidently through it away...and yes I have had to go out through the garbage looking. So I would be unhappy if I thought last week there was a bag of poop in the can. It is kinda like when you step in dog poop...cleaning your own dog's poop from your shoe is not nearly as bad as cleaning a who knows who's poop off your shoe.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Far be it from me to discourage the entrepreneurial spirit of little old retired men and and scary meth addicts . . .
That made me LOL, really hard. So hard that it annoyed Bauer, and he got up and moved across the room.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Luckily where I live there are little doggy stands set up with a trash can and poop bags, so generally I don't have to worry about throwing anything anywhere else.

Re: the little old retired men and scary meth addicts - we have a TON of them that go through the dumpsters at night. There's one guy that goes around on a bike with a basket full of stuff. Creeeepy!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
We can't put cans or bins out. We have to buy plastic bags from the city and use those. If they are not tied, they won't be picked up. That being said, we fill them to the rim to get our money's worth. I don't think anyone would take the time to untie the bag to put their 'stuff' in it, but if they did, it would annoy me if they didn't tie it back up.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I don't think we have this problem here. Cans can only be visible from the street the evening before and morning of trash day. If someone has a poop bag to get rid of, I wouldn't care. Excluding the winter months, there is probably a bag in there with 7 days collection from the yard anyway. We have a small can, about the size of an office trash can, with a flip lid that I keep at the side of the house. I put a plastic liner in it and thats where the daily deposits are made.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
I bring my poop bags home & deposit them in my can. I wouldn't care if my can is by the road on pick-up day& someone dropped a bag in.. We don't really get that because cans are only out on trash day. Otherwise the are on the side of my garage & no one would walk down my driveway to drop their bags off. I see some neighbors walking their dogs & they have their bags with them. I guess they take them home for depsoit too.
:lol:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well...I don't own the trash can but I do pay service on it. And yes I am very guilty of leaving my cans at the curb 24/7 simply because I never ever remember to bring them down when it is trash day. I also have recycle service..on a serperate day so it gets confusing to me! I don't find bag o poop in my trash but I do find poop in my yard and it ticks me off. I put a sign out by my mail box it reads "curb your dog"...with a picture of a pooper scooper on it. I don't think I'd really mind it if a neighbor did that...I probably would not notice it to tell you the truth.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
We burn our paper trash, compost our garbage, recycle metal,glass and plastic, and put the rest (about one trash can a month) in the large dumpster at SU's work - and no - I don't mind if someone puts their dog poop in the dumpsters :)

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Our trash cans are only out on the street on pick up day, so I could care less if someone put a bag of dog poop in there. Better then leaving it on ours or someone elses lawn.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
It would not annoy me in the least. It also doesn't annoy me if someone lets their dog pee or poop in my yard. I'm not even annoyed if they don't pick it up. It *might* bother me if there was dog poo in one of my flower beds where I would be working.

Overall, I don't think dog poo or pee is going to do any harm. I am an avid gardener who takes great pride in my gardens, but it seriously does not bother me to see a dog pee on one of my plants. Honestly, if the plant is so fragile that it can't withstand occasional dog pee, I don't want it in my yard anyway. It can be replaced. :)

That said, Kevin or I wouldn't put dog poo in someone else's trash can, we always pick up dog poo from someone's yard, and we don't allow them to pee in flower beds of others.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I don't throw my poop in any one else's can and I don't want someone else's poop in my can. I will throw it out in a public can but that's it. At first I thought "well, it's better than leaving it on the lawn or sidewalk", but then I thought - "I can carry mine home or to a public can, so can everyone else"...if you have a dog, it is your responsibility.

I don't mind if a dog pees on my lawn - I actually like it because Tucker gets so pissed off (pun intended) that at night when I take him out for last pee, he will march right over to the spot and unload as opposed to f***** around for 20 minutes trying to find a spot. I used to joke with my male neighbors asking them to come pee on my lawn in the freezing cold to get Tucker to move along a little quicker!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I do not use someone else's trash can - I am scared I might get yelled at! Seriously! I would feel too guilty if I did that because we supply our own cans and pay for garbage pick up.

I find it nigh on impossible to pull either of my dogs off someone's lawn when they want to pee and/or poop. I do try though. Fanny likes the more manicured lawns in our development, Eddie doesn't care. I always pick up after them because that is just gross but I have to remember to bring enough bags because they are both in the habit of going at least 3 times each when out.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
In a perfect word.....oh, nevermind.
I would rather the trash bin used then leaving the dog's dropping on my sidewalk. Which keeps happening!!! grrrrrr!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I do not use someone else's trash can - I am scared I might get yelled at!

Agreed! However, my neighbors are all super nice about the poo once they see me picking up. One lady offered to throw it away for me. We also walk a route where there are several businesses owned by family & friends, so we occasionally drop in their dumpsters. I joke around that carrying a bag of poo is better protection than mace, I have a 70 lb animal in one hand, and a bag of poo in the other. The tweakers we pass don't look twice!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts